La Terrazza Dress Code

Observer

Someone in a position to know told me that the (unpublished) dress code for La Terrazza is always one step below the announced requirement for that day. 

So, informal (no necktie for gents) would be accepted at La Terrazza on formal nights; and casual (no jacket for gents) would be accepted on informal nights.  

Is this an urban (or maritime) myth or the discretion of the MD on a particular cruise?  Or is this standard practice for La Terrazza?

34 minutes ago, Observer said:

Someone in a position to know told me that the (unpublished) dress code for La Terrazza is always one step below the announced requirement for that day. 

So, informal (no necktie for gents) would be accepted at La Terrazza on formal nights; and casual (no jacket for gents) would be accepted on informal nights.  

Is this an urban (or maritime) myth or the discretion of the MD on a particular cruise?  Or is this standard practice for La Terrazza?

A while back I was there on informal night and told I needn't have worn a jacket (which I was wearing). So its in keeping with your comments, but by no means official. 

Strangely on my first cruise on the Cloud, I always thought the MDR was basc and La Terrazza the posh one (not just because a booking required.)

7 hours ago, Observer said:

Your understanding is correct.

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Your understanding is correct.

Spectre is absolutely correct. It's not listed on the website but all the ships follow the same procedures. FYI: you may see guests dress a little nicer than the dress code but don't worry. Some folks just like to dress somewhat informal to dine. 

Do all the restaurants have dress codes? Do the other vary? My itinerary says the second night is "formal Optional" but it doesn't designate a dress code for the other nights. Guidance is appreciated!

2 hours ago, Signdy said:

Do all the restaurants have dress codes? Do the other vary? My itinerary says the second night is "formal Optional" but it doesn't designate a dress code for the other nights. Guidance is appreciated!

It's can't be done to a complete satisfaction on this board due to each voyage is different . Formal nights will mostly be shown on MySilversea. Best way is when you board a news paper will be in your suite, showing the dress code for each night of your voyage. Like others have said in this thread, formal only applies  to one or maybe two restaurants, depending on what ship your on. Others will be one level down on the dress code and Hot Rocks and or Pizza place will always be casual. I know I'm not answering everything in complete form but Don't  worry, you will figure it all out within a day or two. Have fun... 

Many thanks to all.  So I am only now discovering that La Terrazza is always one step below the ship's announced dress code (except when that code is casual, since nudity in La T is frowned upon).  Is this a new policy or one I have simply never known?

I welcome the relaxation of the code.  However, I wonder how this affects the code in bars such as Panorama.

On formal nights I often dine casual at the Grill, and I take care not to pollute public areas with my casual dress.

But I now understand that on an informal night I could go casual to La Terrazza.  If I tried to have a pre- or post-prandial drink in my jacketless shirtsleeves (permitted in La T) would I be asked to leave Panorama or another bar/lounge?  Or do all bars also follow the LaT policy that one step below is permitted (but not when the code is casual!)?

13 hours ago, Signdy said:

For our upcoming Silver Muse Alaska sailing from Vancouver, our second night does have that "Formal Optional" designation.  We had booked earlier for doing La Terrazza on that evening to insure maximum flexibility for us in not needing to pack too much.  Formal Optional is a little loose as to what it means, but clearly it kind of means a wider degree of flexibility.  We can make it work.  Alaska in the summer is pretty casual and Silversea is trying to adjust accordingly.  We expect more families on this cruise, etc.  Will report back after our sailing as to how things work with the "Formal Optional" situation.  

Very good and helpful posts on this thread by Silver Spectre and others.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 29,094 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, ship experiences, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

Many thanks to all.  So I am only now discovering that La Terrazza is always one step below the ship's announced dress code (except when that code is casual, since nudity in La T is frowned upon).  Is this a new policy or one I have simply never known?

I welcome the relaxation of the code.  However, I wonder how this affects the code in bars such as Panorama.

On formal nights I often dine casual at the Grill, and I take care not to pollute public areas with my casual dress.

But I now understand that on an informal night I could go casual to La Terrazza.  If I tried to have a pre- or post-prandial drink in my jacketless shirtsleeves (permitted in La T) would I be asked to leave Panorama or another bar/lounge?  Or do all bars also follow the LaT policy that one step below is permitted (but not when the code is casual!)?

It would appear that needing a jacket or not in the Panorama may be at the discretion of the HD, not sure that applies to the main bar though.

6 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

It would appear that needing a jacket or not in the Panorama may be at the discretion of the HD, not sure that applies to the main bar though.

Your response highlights what troubles me about this unpublished rule.

I applaud relaxing the dress code in La Terrazza.  I wish Silversea were always casual, with formal being optional for those who desire it.

But your reference to "discretion of the HD" makes me wonder how much of this is discretionary (and therefore unpredictable).  What one HD gives, another can take away.  Is the LaT policy about one step lower corporate policy on which one can rely?  If so, why not publicize it?  If the bar policy is at the discretion of the HD, how will I know?  I am a very sensitive soul, and I do not want to endure the humiliation of being expelled from a bar because I stop by some venue for a drink before an LaT dinner wearing no jacket on an announced informal night.

This is all getting very confusing.  🙂

I rejoice in the relaxation of dress standards, but I do like to know clearly what the expectations are.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Your response highlights what troubles me about this unpublished rule.

I applaud relaxing the dress code in La Terrazza.  I wish Silversea were always casual, with formal being optional for those who desire it.

But your reference to "discretion of the HD" makes me wonder how much of this is discretionary (and therefore unpredictable).  What one HD gives, another can take away.  Is the LaT policy about one step lower corporate policy on which one can rely?  If so, why not publicize it?  If the bar policy is at the discretion of the HD, how will I know?  I am a very sensitive soul, and I do not want to endure the humiliation of being expelled from a bar because I stop by some venue for a drink before an LaT dinner wearing no jacket on an announced informal night.

This is all getting very confusing.  🙂

I rejoice in the relaxation of dress standards, but I do like to know clearly what the expectations are.    

You could resolve your confusion by wearing a jacket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

True enough!  Or nearly so.  Wearing a jacket would obviate the issue and the possibility of a challenge in the bar, but the uncertainty/confusion would remain.

Silversea could help resolve this matter by announcing clearly the expectations for La Terrazza, the bars, etc.  For example, the always-casual policy for the Grill is well publicized.  A number of guests dine on any given evening in the Grill and LaTerrazza.  On an Informal evening, are they welcome or unwelcome in the bars if they are dressed casual?

I have hundreds of days on Silversea and thought that I had a decent sense of the protocols on Silversea.  But I was wholly unaware of the possibilities in LaT. 

A bit of clarity would be welcome.

I rejoice in the relaxation of dress standards,”

When we first started cruising we did a great deal of research to find who best suited our particular thoughts and wants. SS seemed to have a reputation for being the most ‘formal’ and strictest in the enforcement of stated dress codes, and that is one of the main reasons why we choose SS over other companies.

I will be monitoring this relaxation of dress standards, - which is not for me - and if it goes too far and looks as if it is going downhill  then who knows ??? 🤵😀 

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

For our July 25 Silver Muse sailing to Alaska, I will have along with me and use a dark blue sport coat.  Given the potential of colder weather during this trip, it should work well in several different ways.  There are "differences of opinion" on this well-worn topic.  

As noted earlier,  I will report back after our sailing as to how things work with the "Formal Optional" set-up and other aspects related to this situation.  Whether you like it or not, my sense and experience is that for some routes and locations, that those factors can affect how things are structured and/or enforced by SS management. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,146 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 1

Terry, thanks for telling us exactly what you'll be bringing on that cruise.  Good to have your experience and wisdom as someone with many SS cruises.  This will just be our second, and we are taking the same cruise on a different date. Given that we need to bring so much cold-weather gear on this trip, and that we are doing an independent land tour in the week before our cruise, it is VERY good to know that my husband won't need to bring a suit!  Just a nice blazer or sportcoat and a few ties.  An a few cocktail length dresses for me that will be suitable on both formal and informal nights.  (And for the formal-optional night, I believe we are going to La Terraza or Blue Note.)

We are casual native southern Californians, and although we are in our Medicare years, we have little personal experience with very dressy expectations, outside of business occasions and the rare black tie wedding. An attractive short sleeve sport shirt is sufficient to be appropriate for the nicest LA area restaurants we can think of...though my husband often will wear a sport coat and a tieless shirt.  So we do appreciate your advice.

Edited by pasca

21 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I rejoice in the relaxation of dress standards,”

When we first started cruising we did a great deal of research to find who best suited our particular thoughts and wants. SS seemed to have a reputation for being the most ‘formal’ and strictest in the enforcement of stated dress codes, and that is one of the main reasons why we choose SS over other companies.

I will be monitoring this relaxation of dress standards, - which is not for me - and if it goes too far and looks as if it is going downhill  then who knows ??? 🤵😀 

Who knows what? Where are you going to go? Every luxury line has relaxed its dress code because that's what the majority of passengers want and that's what the younger demographic which everyone is chasing demands. Granted there are still some who prefer the more formal code but those are becoming fewer and fewer. SS is still the most formal line and if that is not enough I guess "who knows" means no more cruising.

Oh, for goodness sake! Ladies bring a simple dark dress and various jackets/scarfs...or if you’d like....long fancy dresses.  Men bring a dark blue blazer and nice trousers...tux if you feel like it.. And common sense. This is not rocket science. Dr. Pashmina prescribes a Chill Pill.

2 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Oh, for goodness sake! Ladies bring a simple dark dress and various jackets/scarfs...or if you’d like....long fancy dresses.  Men bring a dark blue blazer and nice trousers...tux if you feel like it.. And common sense. This is not rocket science. Dr. Pashmina prescribes a Chill Pill.

What's in a Chill Pill?  Is it tasty?  Included??  I prescribe a French Martini!  Will be having several in November on the Whisper.

Or ladies, bring palazzo pants.  No need to wear a dress/skirt.  Also suggest a wrap against air conditioning.

18 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Well said CP.Its time this irrelevant topic of dress code was binned for good.Comply with the required code or find another cruise line.Simple.

1 hour ago, brimary said:

Comply with the required code or find another cruise line.Simple.

I wish it were so simple.  You may have noted from previous posts that there is ambiguity about the "required code" for LaTerrazza.  A number of CC members say that it was as I was recently informed by a very knowledgeable source -- not the published dress code for the day, but instead Informal on Formal nights, and Casual on Informal nights.  Others say that it's whatever the HD says it is.  The point of my starting this thread was precisely to determine what is required/expected in LaT on the non-excursion ships.  

2 hours ago, Observer said:

I wish it were so simple.  You may have noted from previous posts that there is ambiguity about the "required code" for LaTerrazza.  A number of CC members say that it was as I was recently informed by a very knowledgeable source -- not the published dress code for the day, but instead Informal on Formal nights, and Casual on Informal nights.  Others say that it's whatever the HD says it is.  The point of my starting this thread was precisely to determine what is required/expected in LaT on the non-excursion ships.  

I don't usually get involved in "dress threads"…...but from my own experiences (2 SS cruises)….I wear slacks and tops every night.  (some more dressy than others) but found all my choices were acceptable. So slacks and a nice top in La Terrazza were my attire and I never felt out of place. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I don't usually get involved in "dress threads"…...but from my own experiences (2 SS cruises)….I wear slacks and tops every night.  (some more dressy than others) but found all my choices were acceptable. So slacks and a nice top in La Terrazza were my attire and I never felt out of place. 

This is an interesting post, at least to me.  It highlights (to me) the greater flexibility women have in dressing in ways appropriate to the dress code.

For men, however, there are clear requirements and IMHO less flexibility:  Formal means a necktie (and of course jacket).  Informal means a jacket.  These are unambiguous expectations.

Edited by Observer
  • Like 1

I have been on 6 SS cruises. I love to dress up (not long but more cocktail) and I do do most nights regardless of the code. Not OTT but definitely not casual. I never feel overdressed. It’s a lovely opportunity that you don’t get on beach holidays. My husband wore a dj for our first 2 cruises but for our forthcoming Baltic cruise he will wear a dark jacket, trousers and tie and we will eat in the main restaurant as we have fond on previous formal nights,

• Like 1

All comments are so interesting.  A point not yet mentioned, I believe, are the many reasons to select Silversea that are less or unrelated to the dress code.  As we shopped for our 1st cruise, we chose SS because they include many things in the fare other lines do not, offer more roomy cabins vs other lines, the balcony was also more spacious, and their ships are (we think) more right sized for us.  Less quantifiably, they just seem less goofy, a bit more sophisticated, perhaps partially due to the (flexible) dress code, than their competitors.