Wine by The Bottle Package question

WESTEAST

I've seen posts about the Prestige and House Select Beverage Packages but, couldn't find my questions answered about the Wine by the Bottle Package. I do understand that each bottle is $47.50 from a select listing and you must purchase 7 bottles and is available only onboard (https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/#amenities-packages).   My questions are:  

• Are the bottles restricted to consuming while eating lunch and/or dinner e.g., not available at Martinis, Horizons or in our suite?  
  • Do we request a bottle at either lunch or dinner from the sommelier who in turns writes our suite # on the bottle to return to the cellar as we usually don't finish a bottle at one sitting?  

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

I've seen posts about the Prestige and House Select Beverage Packages but, couldn't find my questions answered about the Wine by the Bottle Package. I do understand that each bottle is $47.50 from a select listing and you must purchase 7 bottles and is available only onboard (https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/#amenities-packages).   My questions are:  

• Are the bottles restricted to consuming while eating lunch and/or dinner e.g., not available at Martinis, Horizons or in our suite?  
  • Do we request a bottle at either lunch or dinner from the sommelier who in turns writes our suite # on the bottle to return to the cellar as we usually don't finish a bottle at one sitting?  

Thanks!

Allow me to piggyback on this and ask, if we have wine left from a bottle at dinner, can we take it back to our cabin?  We sometimes like to relax with a glass before going to bed.

Okay.  If you have wine left over (assuming you are having it with your dinner in a restaurant, YES, they will write your suite number on the bottle and you can ask for it in any other restaurant later on.  On occasion it has helped if we told the staff where we'd last consumed the bottle.  Usually that wasn't necessary but it did happen on a couple of times.  Likewise, this also applies to any bottle purchased from the wine list.  They do not compel you go finish the bottle in one sitting!

We haven't done much with the 7 bottle purchase program (that is, we haven't at all) but I assume it is equivalent to the 6 bottles given to the top suites.  Yes, you can take it back to your room if you wish.  OR, you can do as in the previous paragraph, and ask them to hold it for you for future consumption.  I believe that the 7 bottle purchase program is similar to the top suite 6 bottle program in that the corkage fee is waived.  It is very clear on the bottle (at least with the top suite bottles) that that is where you got the bottle ... I assume it's the same with the 7 bottle purchase program.

If I'm wrong, someone will chime in for sure!

Mura

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

Thanks!

I am sure you could request  the bottle  in the bars  as well

yes they will write the cabin number on any unfinished bottles  to be stored & retrieved upon request

They probably send the unfinished bottle to your cabin if you ask ..we have never asked

• Thanks 1

Let’s discuss logistics. Say happy hour in Martini or Horizon logistics. The $47+ one spends on one of the wines in the package is definitely high, this is without doubt. However, what the OP is contemplating is the possibility of cutting part of the staff out during happy hour, in the popular drinking establishments, to fetch a partial finished bottle of wine.

So the question becomes will Oceania sacrifice a waiter from Horizon to search for a half bottle of opened wine during its most busy time. Yes they will, but hopefully they make you wait a long time to get it.

Taking an unfinished bottle back to your cabin is never a problem.

• Thanks 1

We used the 7 bottle wine package on Insignia this past June.  As already stated, the sommelier will store your bottle till the next meal you would like to have.  We never tried taking them to our cabin, but don't know why that wouldn't be allowed.  We did try to get someone to retrieve it outside of meals (at the lounge, I think)  and we were told it was not possible.  I have mixed feelings about the package.  Although we did drink our 7 bottles during the course of the 16 day cruise, we had to push it because we didn't always want wine with lunch (or we were usually not on board).  Also when eating at Terrace Cafe it was sometimes hard to find the sommelier and they were always busy so the wine didn't always show up when we wanted it eg we were almost done with our meal!  This was not an issue in the Grand Dining room or speciality restaurants, but we like the Terrace Cafe and eat there often.  I doubt we will use it again though it did get me to try some different wines.  The price per bottle with gratuity included (47.00)  is cheaper then I believe any bottle you can buy outside of the package...i may have the list somewhere.  If I find it I will take a pic of it....

We pretty much always bring some of our own wine on Oceania cruises. With a little research, you can often find a good retail source in an embarkation port (e.g., Total Wine in Miami, Australia Wine Center in Sydney, Hedonism Wines in London, etc). Depending on itinerary, it's either 6 or 12 bottles for us (we pack light weight collapsible cardboard carriers acquired at wineries here in NorCal) and we often replenish the stock at select ports.

Again, depending on itinerary, we may augment our stock with the "7 bottle" deal - but only when there's a "loss leader" or two in the bunch (I.e., a decent wine valued at significantly more than the package's average <$10 retail value per bottle). For example, if we see something like Shramsberg Mirabelle sparkling wine, we may order it for all seven bottles on a long cruise.  

However, IMO, the better onboard deal is the often unhyped "bin end list," which can be requested from a wine "steward" (I wish some folks would stop referring to them as "sommeliers"). This ever-changing list of the few remaining bottles from a prior cellar stocking  shipment offers savings of 30%+\- off the ship's regular price for that item. And while the price for a "bin end" selection may be more than the 7 bottles' "$47 each," the bottom line is that you end up with something having a retail value of $30-$50/bottle rather than the average <$10 "rot gut" represented in most of the "7 bottle" lists.

BTW, while some folks balk at the $25 restaurant corkage for personal wine (which includes the tip), they should really do the math. Paying $25 on top of your retail purchase of a truly exceptional wine that costs $50-75+ on shore is a bargain compared to the $150+\- (+ 18% tip) you'd pay for that (or equivalent) wine available from the ship's cellar. 

Lastly, a reminder to newer Oceania cruisers:

O's unofficial policy of "bring as much wine and spirits onboard" as you desire will only last as long as folks honor the rules about personal booze (I.e., spirits only allowed in your cabin and any wine taken to dinner or other public venues is subject to the $25 corkage). Please don't even think of carting a "traveler" to dinner.

IMG_1175.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

Hi Flatbush - I'm picking up lots of good info from you and other "O vets", in prep for my first future O cruise.  I also figured out (pretty early) that the 7-bottle "wine package" was no particular "bargain".  Most of the bottles on that package, at least those I've seen listed in various posts (most I've never even heard of), would certainly not be "worth" the $47 (each) that is being charged for them.  I'll always choose "quality" over "quantity".  For me, a cruise will always be a "quality" vs. a "Walmart" experience.  No offense to Walmart!

Sure, at home I'll routinely buy and have on hand, a few bottle of "Beringer's White Zin"  (about $5-6/btl retail) in my garage frig, for my friends who like it - and I certainly don't "hammer them" for drinking it, if that's what they like.  But I'm not going to pay $47/bottle for that level of "quality" for a bottle of it on board a ship - any ship.  The "bin end" option you mentioned sounds much more promising/viable and I had not heard about that previously, until you mentioned it.

Like you, I fully intend to "go shopping" for some nice wines in ports and bring it on board (or/and perhaps also bring a couple of bottles from home, as well).  I'll consume them in my suite/veranda and will also have "no problem" whatsoever paying the reasonable corkage fee for these personal bottles to enjoy with meals.  After all, Why would I be willing to pay the (total) cost of ~ $15K-18K for my "O" cruise (airfares, pre-cruise hotels, stateroom upgrade, private excursions, actual cruise fare, Prestige Bev Package, etc.), and then, at the same time, "balk or fuss" about a $25 corkage fee for enjoying a bottle of my own nice (decanted) wine at dinner?  That would be totally nonsensical and irrational.  "Life is too short" to worry about the "small stuff"!

Thanks to all for the continuing good info everyone is providing.  Regards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

However, IMO, the better onboard deal is the often unhyped "bin end list," which can be requested from a wine "steward"

We agree with you!  Note that some bin end list bottles are more limited than others - if there is something you are interested in, best to speak up early.

3 minutes ago, babysteps said:

We agree with you!  Note that some bin end list bottles are more limited than others - if there is something you are interested in, best to speak up early.

One of the first things we do upon boarding is to pre-order any "bin end" offerings in which we are interested. They are then set aside for us to use throughout the cruise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One of the first things we do upon boarding is to pre-order any "bin end" offerings in which we are interested. They are then set aside for us to use throughout the cruise.

Wow, another "good tip"!  Thanks.

Speaking generally so that this applies to most people:

A) Any wine which is purchased through the Cruise Line is free from corkage fees.

B) Imported wine may be stored in the ships Cellar at no charge and then called for in ANY Venue or Stateroom

C) Oceania does an outstanding job of storing the wine suitably and serving it beautifully.

D) Outside Wine called to the stateroom does not incur corkage.  Outside Wine called to a bar, lounge or restaurant will incur corkage

E) Bottles called from the Cellar typically take about 25 minutes to be retrieved

Skol!

Edited by StanandJim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

D) Outside Wine called to the stateroom does not incur corkage.  Outside Wine called to a bar, lounge or restaurant will incur corkage

But if you have a part bottle  stored  does it incur a further corkage fee  if called to the bar??

I would hope not

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

But if you have a part bottle  stored  does it incur a further corkage fee  if called to the bar??

I would hope not

Corkage fees are only assessed when the bottle is first opened.

• Thanks 1

I was on Marina last month and inquired about the 7-bottle package on embarkation day.  We've had it in the past and thought it was a pretty good value.  After speaking with one of the wine stewards, turns out I was wrong. I admit I am not a wine expert by any means - I know just enough to know what I like and don't like.  He talked us out of purchasing it because it's not a good value at all and the quality of those wines are not good.  They didn't even have a printed list.  My husband decided to get the Prestige drink package. A benefit of this package is that it allows you to buy a bottle of wine at a discount.  I think it was 20%.  I don't drink enough to buy the package but I did ask if I could drink from the bottle that he purchased and the answer was yes.  So that's what we decided to do and it was a good decision.  The staff was very good at retrieving bottles we had from storage in minimal time. 

I agree that the "bin-end" selection of wines is an excellent purchase.  We purchased one of these bottles in Toscana and it was the best wine I had on the cruise.  It was a white wine and I wish I had taken a picture of it.  These wines are already reduced in price so the 20% discount doesn't apply.

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We pretty much always bring some of our own wine on Oceania cruises. With a little research, you can often find a good retail source in an embarkation port (e.g., Total Wine in Miami, Australia Wine Center in Sydney, Hedonism Wines in London, etc). Depending on itinerary, it's either 6 or 12 bottles for us (we pack light weight collapsible cardboard carriers acquired at wineries here in NorCal) and we often replenish the stock at select ports.

Again, depending on itinerary, we may augment our stock with the "7 bottle" deal - but only when there's a "loss leader" or two in the bunch (I.e., a decent wine valued at significantly more than the package's average <$10 retail value per bottle). For example, if we see something like Shramsberg Mirabelle sparkling wine, we may order it for all seven bottles on a long cruise.  

However, IMO, the better onboard deal is the often unhyped "bin end list," which can be requested from a wine "steward" (I wish some folks would stop referring to them as "sommeliers"). This ever-changing list of the few remaining bottles from a prior cellar stocking  shipment offers savings of 30%+\- off the ship's regular price for that item. And while the price for a "bin end" selection may be more than the 7 bottles' "$47 each," the bottom line is that you end up with something having a retail value of $30-$50/bottle rather than the average <$10 "rot gut" represented in most of the "7 bottle" lists.

BTW, while some folks balk at the $25 restaurant corkage for personal wine (which includes the tip), they should really do the math. Paying $25 on top of your retail purchase of a truly exceptional wine that costs $50-75+ on shore is a bargain compared to the $150+\- (+ 18% tip) you'd pay for that (or equivalent) wine available from the ship's cellar. 

Lastly, a reminder to newer Oceania cruisers:

O's unofficial policy of "bring as much wine and spirits onboard" as you desire will only last as long as folks honor the rules about personal booze (I.e., spirits only allowed in your cabin and any wine taken to dinner or other public venues is subject to the $25 corkage). Please don't even think of carting a "traveler" to dinner.

IMG_1175.JPG

About those bin end lists (or whatever the list is called), last Nov/Dec, we spotted a bottle of Cheval Blanc on that list.

-->> Where in the world did that come from?  What previous list included that:classic_smile:  ("Inquiring minds want to know!")

GC

In another post as well as in this one, Flatbush Flyer had mentioned Total Wine in Miami as a good pre cruise source of "beverages".  In looking into Total Wines, in many cities (Miami included), they will deliver to your hotel, assuming that you are arriving prior to departure.  There is a delivery charge but it saves the hassle of getting to a liquor/wine store and they allow you to select a two hour delivery window.  Haven't tried it yet, but it appears that you can build up your wish list on their website and pull the trigger when you arrive at your hotel (they have an app in addition to their website).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

will also have "no problem" whatsoever paying the reasonable corkage fee for these personal bottles to enjoy with meals.

Although we rarely drink anymore I had no issue with paying the $25.  I thought it was a very reasonable fee to enjoy a bottle of wine that I knew I'd like!  I've always appreciated the way Oceania treats us like adults with their liquor policy!  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Resurrecting this topic for a question about the "bin end list" wines.

Is this offering a multi-bottle package, or is it a by-the-bottle purchase?

16 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Multi bottle Package

Many thanks!  Would you happen to know if it is also a 7 bottle package, or something different?

30 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Resurrecting this topic for a question about the "bin end list" wines.

Is this offering a multi-bottle package, or is it a by-the-bottle purchase?

The "bin ends" list is on a separate page of the wine list folder.  Ordered individually. Sometimes a good value.

There is also the offer, usually upon boarding, of the 7 bottle package of "discontinued" wines at $47+ per bottle. Rarely a value.

Two different deals - hence the confusion.

• Thanks 1