Are Lobster and Filet Mignon served in the MDR?

VPMJ

20 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

Not at all....I almost asked why there was cod all over the ship......

Wow. Why can’t they just be honest and say they’re too damn cheap?

Those justifications the guy gave you are absolutely absurd. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Wow. Why can’t they just be honest and say they’re too damn cheap?

Those justifications the guy gave you are absolutely absurd. 

Especially since they still serve it in other ways.   A steer belongs on a farm/ranch yet you still have burgers & steaks.   I don't even like lobster,  or most seafood,  but if he was being sincere, he was also being hypocritical. 

• Like 1

LOL "cut" that F&B guy some slacks, poor fellow just reading from the corporate scripts given on what to say ... teleprompter malfunction ??

Lobsters are best served & eaten fresh, not frozen.  Pricing too high for their calculated profit margins, even with the upcharge.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Sounds to me that it was said as tongue-in-cheek.   I can't believe that he would think people would buy that.

It sure does, I also can't believe that anyone would take his comments serious. 

What he should have said is that they couldn't keep enough lobster onboard, because of the gluttonous way some of the passengers were with regard to the number of lobster tails they would eat....now that would have been funny or would it be serious.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

It sure does, I also can't believe that anyone would take his comments serious. 

What he should have said is that they couldn't keep enough lobster onboard, because of the gluttonous way some of the passengers were with regard to the number of lobster tails they would eat....now that would have been funny or would it be serious.

It wasn't at all. He was serious and then proceeded to poll the audience on their lobster eating habits at home. I assure he was QUITE serious that NCL was doing us all a favor but not serving us lobster. Guess you had to be there. 

9 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

It wasn't at all. He was serious and then proceeded to poll the audience on their lobster eating habits at home. I assure he was QUITE serious that NCL was doing us all a favor but not serving us lobster. Guess you had to be there. 

It begs the obvious question; if I do it at home, why am I spending all that money on a cruise?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

He also took a poll of the audience to see who eats lobster at home and used that as a point to say people don't eat it at home, they don't need it here. The whole thing was funny. 

I don't usually buy and prepare filet mignon at home but I sure as heck order it out at a nice restaurant. I hope people were laughing at him....

Edited by bobsfamily

I for one, do not miss the Lobster. We have had on many lines in years past: never has it been anything special. They use the cheapest Lobster they can get, of course always frozen and often not cooked right. On one cruise (not NCL) the Lobster wasn't even cooked all the way through. We talked to  3 other couples on the same cruise and all had the same complaint. I'll stick with other sea food on my next cruise. I had thought I would get surf and turf but have decided to try something else. So what all the griping about no Lobster is all about I have no idea. 

I've always looked forward to having lobster on a cruise BECAUSE I don't prepare it at home.  I know many people say it's not very good lobster, but I don't really have anything to compare it to and I like it.  That being said, it isn't a dealbreaker for me not to have it.  I'm sure there will be plenty of other yummy things to eat.

• Like 1

I eat lobster at home, but I would never order it on a cruise.  Sounds like you guys need to take him on a New England & Canada cruise so he can have some lobster at one of those ports. 
Lobster needs to be fresh...

Just because it has been refrigerated live, doesn't mean it'll be fresh.

After about 1day out of the water, his energy reserves are gone (he's hungry) and the flavour of the meat will be off...

After a few days, ketosis will set in and the meat will taste worse...

This is a long time for the little critter to be stressed out without food and water...

A cruise ship can't find cold water lobster in the Carribean. It'll have to be flown in from New England or so, and would already be a day old when it arrives on the ship.

Frozen is out of the question....

So, it's better to leave the lobsters where they'll be at their best, New England or eastern Canada....

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WickedRed said:

I eat lobster at home, but I would never order it on a cruise.  Sounds like you guys need to take him on a New England & Canada cruise so he can have some lobster at one of those ports. 

That's the reason lobster was mentioned to my son.  LOL.  My husband & I have only been one 1 other cruise - to Canada & New England, where my husband had several lobster rolls in port & lobster while on the boat.  I don't think he's had lobster since. Little man likes to know what to expect & is excited to eat off the adult menu, hence tales of lobster tails.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VicRock said:

That's the reason lobster was mentioned to my son.  LOL.  My husband & I have only been one 1 other cruise - to Canada & New England, where my husband had several lobster rolls in port & lobster while on the boat.  I don't think he's had lobster since. Little man likes to know what to expect & is excited to eat off the adult menu, hence tales of lobster tails.

I've seriously got to talk my DH into that New England/Canada cruise😊

Lobsters (in Canada) and deep fried soft shell crab on a toasted bun in the Northeast, when available ... you just don't find on a cruise ship, at any price.  Checkout those nice size crab cake. 

The idea is that someone else do the cooking, cleaning & preparation - that is what a cruise vacation is about. 

IMG_20190624_134731176_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190608_133101462.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sirtate said:

Lobster needs to be fresh...

Just because it has been refrigerated live, doesn't mean it'll be fresh.

After about 1day out of the water, his energy reserves are gone (he's hungry) and the flavour of the meat will be off...

After a few days, ketosis will set in and the meat will taste worse...

This is a long time for the little critter to be stressed out without food and water...

A cruise ship can't find cold water lobster in the Carribean. It'll have to be flown in from New England or so, and would already be a day old when it arrives on the ship.

Frozen is out of the question....

So, it's better to leave the lobsters where they'll be at their best, New England or eastern Canada....

LOL. Using that logic, lobster isn’t available to the majority of the human population on earth. 

You've got some high standards. Is it OK if other seafood isn’t fresh? Does your beef also have to be slaughtered day of and all vegetables fresh and not frozen? How about poultry?

I’m somewhat surprised NCL is your cruise line of choice.

LOL. Using that logic, lobster isn’t available to the majority of the human population on earth. 

You've got some high standards. Is it OK if other seafood isn’t fresh? Does your beef also have to be slaughtered day of and all vegetables fresh and not frozen? How about poultry?

I’m somewhat surprised NCL is your cruise line of choice.
Beef needs to be aged at least 18days...

If it's 'fresh', it'll shrink too much when you cook it...

And yes, lobster isn't available fresh to the majority of the population...

There are cargo planes leaving Eastern Canada daily for Japan for that reason.

Even in the middle of North America, where I live, air freight lobster is much better than 17hr old truck lobster... And 3x the cost...

Still nowhere near as good as; 'the boat just got back, let's boil seawater on the beach in a fire, lobster'... (That is THE best, and until you've had it, you won't know how quickly it deteriorates)

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

IMG_20190608_133101462.jpg

$21.99 per lb!!!!  I was thinking the precooked lobster I grabbed on a whim last week at the grocery store was expensive at $10.95 for 1.5lbs.

OP your son is going to have so much fun with all the new foods that I'm sure he won't miss not having lobster.  He sound somewhat food adventurous, so that is good. 

Have raised a son and daughters.  Cruised with all of them.  I wish I had a dollar for every time they said they wanted this food or that food (including Lobster).  Upon getting it, they always rejected it and went back to their old standbys (chicken, burgers, pasta).

Gotta take the little ones’ “desires” with a grain of salt.

Once your son sees the Lobster, and has to go through the process of getting the lobster meat out of the shell, something tells me his interest will wane quite a bit.