When will they replace the old granduer from Baltimore port?

Talk about bridge close clearance . . . when we were on OV in May in Vancouver, she had to sail in and back out of the port at low tides due to the nearby bridge.  There was a 30 minute window each way.

R&D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Hopefully never.  We love this boat.  We love the room we always stay in.  Been on other 'newer' boats....they are more like a NYC hotel than a cruising experience.  It isn't the newest, the biggest, but to us...it's the best.

DSC02007.JPG

DSC02013.JPG

Cute kids! 😊 We like it too. It was really after we sailed on the Grandeur about a month ago that we truly decided that we prefer ships that are small to midsize rather than the larger ships (just as we love the ships the size of the Jewel on NCL). In fact, we booked another cruiser on her 2 weeks after disembarking. 

There are less people running around, the Baltimore port is just easy in both directions, and it’s far easier to get to know the staff and other cruisers (as you are going to run into them repeatedly).  We also found the most wonderful B&B and private transportation service there that were so good all it took was once and we were hooked, Yes, the Grandeur needs some new paint and some reupholstering work wouldn’t hurt, but it is easy nevertheless to see why this ship is well loved!

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1

Our first voyage on the Grandeur, a very nice lady who goes by @DELTABLUE here said  that we must meet her in the Viking Lounge for the sailaway (even though we normally watch from our cabin’s balcony). Once we were underway we understood why - we had a front row and close-up seat to an amazing show!

1EABB7FF-1639-4AE4-8B69-DE09FCDB93D5.jpeg

0965BBD6-35A0-421A-8657-C2032FEA615E.jpeg

Edited by 2Beeze

Nice lady here! 😉  Having cruised on Grandeur 21 times, I consider her my home away from home.  I'm always happy to return to her and count the days until my next visit.  There is something very special about her and the sense of community she creates for her loyal passengers and long standing crew.  Could she use a stem to stern refit, inside and out,  sure.  What lady of a certain age couldn't.:classic_rolleyes:

My main worry is that RCI keeps any ship in Baltimore.  The port is a joy to use and the staff know how to get you on and off quickly and efficiently.  Parking is steps from the door and, by and large, most of her passengers are in easy driving distance.  Flying is not getting any easier these days and some of us just don't do it.

Enchantment did serve Baltimore for a while and is one year newer than Grandeur.  When they stretched her, they added 75' of more cabins on many decks, another pool and a lounge without adding any corresponding space in the theater or Windjammer.  This led to major crowding at meal and showtimes.  Of the two ships, I'm glad that they sent Enchantment away and returned Grandeur to the people who cruise from Baltimore, who love her.

BTW...I did not MAKE 2Beeze join me in the VCL for sailaway.  A nice lady would never do that.  I merely invited her up to join me for a great show.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 5

I loved the stretched Enchantment.  That huge pool deck and the addition of Boleros work well in the markets she sails from. 

Honestly never felt the Theater or WJ to be overly crowded. Elevators arent that bad. Maybe a younger crowd takes the stairs more. 

Hopefully well sail Grandeur some day. Just not on a Bahamas run. Bermuda or New England if she does those

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DELTABLUE said:

BTW...I did not MAKE 2Beeze join me in the VCL for sailaway.  A nice lady would never do that.  I merely invited her up to join me for a great show.:classic_biggrin:

Hmmm where are you seeing that I said that you made us?! 🧐😂 I think you may need glasses Delta! Ah well, I am headed to bed 😊 Later!

Edited by 2Beeze

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

The ship is near 35 years old or something like that, would like to know when a different ship will be going out of Baltimore as i live an hour away. Thx. G

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Thx i have been on it twice and i liked it but would like to see a different ship at least at this port. 

Oh, this "almost" makes me giggle.

You have sailed on her twice - TWO WHOLE TIMES!!!! - and are bored???

Dayum.

And be careful what you wish for.  Given Royal Caribbean's obvious plans to only build larger ships from now on, once the Grandeur is gone, Baltimore will no longer be a port of embarkation for Royal Caribbean.

😞

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

And be careful what you wish for.  Given Royal Caribbean's obvious plans to only build larger ships from now on, once the Grandeur is gone, Baltimore will no longer be a port of embarkation for Royal Caribbean.

😞

OMG!!!  Don't even say/think/post that!!!!!!!!:classic_ohmy:

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

😞

Excellent point.

🤤 Nooooooo don't take grandeur away. We love her. If you need a change, go to another port. 

Wonderful crew, but the amazing part for us was the passengers were just as great. Everyone is so friendly. 

The old lady has such a great vibe. Don't mess with success. Host Bob, you have to make time to sail on this wonderful ship. 

13 hours ago, seaman11 said:

The ship is near 35 years old or something like that, would like to know when a different ship will be going out of Baltimore as i live an hour away. Thx. G

Hopefully NEVER.

Sailed 4 times on her, and have 2 more booked.  We love her.  And especially the crew.

She has been refurbished and updated several times.  The latest was, they just replaced the pool side screen.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 487 said:

We sail out of Baltimore often.  We've always heard that it was the Key Bridge and not the Bay Bridge that is the problem.  She only clears the Key Bridge by 13 feet.

The Key Bridge has a 186 ft air draft. The Bay Bridges has 185 ft air draft.

Any Radiance class ship will fit under the bridges.

51 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hopefully NEVER.

Sailed 4 times on her, and have 2 more booked.  We love her.  And especially the crew.

She has been refurbished and updated several times.  The latest was, they just replaced the pool side screen.

Yes, they replaced that and 2 elevators while we were on. I missed not being able to watch a movie under the stars that week but it wasn't a big deal. Even with 2 elevators out it wasn't hard to get one except on Embark day.

This ship and those that work it are wonderful! I was sad to see Enchantment go but I love the Grandeur so much more.

• Like 1

I will chime in that I am a Grandeur lover too! As I used to live 15 minutes from the Port of Baltimore, I had the pleasure of sailing on her several times. Love the Enchantment also. Even though I have relocated to Florida, I still sail occasionally from Baltimore, as I am partial to my hometown. 🙂

9 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

Here " that we must meet her in the Viking Lounge "  No offense taken, just joshing.  We are good to go...as soon as we can!:classic_biggrin:

“MUST” as it it’s important.👍🏼 I was repeating the words as I remembered them. Pretty sure no one thought you forced us 😬

Edited by 2Beeze

Hey OP...if you don't want her...we will happily take her down here in PC as a third ship!  🥰

My only choice now out of PC are two larger ships (Mariner and Harmony).  I dearly miss Grandeur's stretched sister , the Enchantment.  Love the Vision class ships.  We also lost two smaller ships..Monarch and Majesty.  Small ship cruising out of PC has come to an end.  😞 

Me, I have to fly up to get to Grandeur, which I am doing next year.  Will really be happy to be on board her for the first time, and first time out of Baltimore.  🙂  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

😞

Definitely a possibility but I think a Radiance Class is more likely someday.  I don't care for Grandeur of the Seas.   Radiance class is much better. But what I really don't like is her Bermuda itineraries which arrive late the first day and leave early the second day. I would not do that itinerary on any ship. 

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Definitely a possibility but I think a Radiance Class is more likely someday.  I don't care for Grandeur of the Seas.   Radiance class is much better. But what I really don't like is her Bermuda itineraries which arrive late the first day and leave early the second day. I would not do that itinerary on any ship. 

Going to agree 10000%!  I have no idea who came up with an itinerary, but it’s terrible. You get there too late to do anything and leave too early the next day to do much. We basically had to pay someone extra on that first day to come from the other side of the island (after their regular tour of the day) to give us a mini tour that evening. The second day was a Sunday - very little was opened in Hamilton and we didn’t have a lot of time to see much regardless (especially given Sunday ferry options). We won’t do that particular itinerary ever again (although we will return to the Grandeur).

2 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

Going to agree 10000%!  I have no idea who came up with an itinerary, but it’s terrible. You get there too late to do anything and leave too early the next day to do much. We basically had to pay someone extra on that first day to come from the other side of the island (after their regular tour of the day) to give us a mini tour that evening. The second day was a Sunday - very little was opened in Hamilton and we didn’t have a lot of time to see much regardless (especially given Sunday ferry options). We won’t do that particular itinerary ever again (although we will return to the Grandeur).

I solved that....doing B2B...to stay on for 9 night NE afterwards.  😉  I figure the quick little 5 night is just a way for us to get used to the ship first.  🙂 

• Like 4

We love the Grandeur also.  In fact every year in Jan. or Feb. we will do a B2B to get away from the winter weather.  We get on and it's like a family reunion. Not only are there cruisers from previous years, but even a lot of the crew will see you and recognize you from before. 

Yes, she is an older ship without all the bells and whistles, but for us, she is perfect..  We have cruised on the Oasis class and Freedom class of the ships and prefer the Vision class. 

• Like 4