Carnival in the Baltics?

Why does Carnival never place a ship in the Baltics. 

I have seen some of their ship many years ago but for some reason they seem to the the only one of the major cruise lines that never stops by. 

In Copenhagen we get the odd P&O, Cunard and Disney ships so it happens that we see someone else than the usual suspects like MSC, Norwegian etc etc.

I just wondered if there was a reason why Carnival doesn't place a ship here in the summer (or just on some selected dates) 

I believe that Carnival made a decision a few years ago to concentrate more on western hemisphere (Caribbean, Mexico) and far east itineraries over Europe. Why? I'm guessing that they determined their core demographic is U.S., Australia and a growing Asian clientele. About the only European itineraries you see now are when new ships are launched from Italy and even then just for one or two cruises before heading west.

ETA: although I haven't checked recently, I do know that HAL and RCI seem to have a fair number of Baltic itineraries in the summer months.

Edited by joepeka

2 minutes ago, kren250 said:

I thought Mardi Gras is doing one cruise leaving from Copenhagen?  

True, but just one departing Copenhagen on 8/31/2020 and ending in Southampton, from there it does a Canary Islands/Portugal itinerary then it's off to New York.

Glad I got to cruise the Baltic (Russia, Estonia, Germany, Denmark, Finland etc) when the Splendor came out in 2008.  Sorry to hear Carnival doesn't even want to offer Baltic any more....it was fascinating!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChosenOne said:

Glad I got to cruise the Baltic (Russia, Estonia, Germany, Denmark, Finland etc) when the Splendor came out in 2008.  Sorry to hear Carnival doesn't even want to offer Baltic any more....it was fascinating!

There are many better options for the Baltics just as there are many better options for Alaska.

They would be competing with Princess (on which we did a Baltic cruise) and Holland America, both Carnival companies. I also think that they are afraid that the cost of airfare in addition to the cruise would scare away most potential typical Carnival customers from North America.

Carnival is making their money from the first time cruisers.  They buy more pictures, more t-shirts, drinks, bingo, etc.  Carnival's cruises are usually more affordable and flights are less expensive than flying to a ship that would get to the Baltics.  As long as they see their ships sailing full, they don't see a need to enter that market.  As others have said, Carnival Corporation own other lines that go there so they see no need to sail Carnival Cruise line ships there.

12 hours ago, crucero said:

I've never cruised another line besides Carnival, but I've been looking at other lines in Europe. I enjoy cruising, but I'm ready for something besides the Caribbean.

I hit platinum on Carnival and then started exploring other lines. I am now also platinum on Norwegian and have cruises booked on Royal, Celebrity, and Norwegian. Huge variety of itineraries out there. Branch out...you’ll find there are a lot of great cruise lines out there. In the past two years I’ve done two Med cruises and just got back from a Baltics cruise. Carnival offers nothing like the itinerary I have booked on Royal and Celebrity. I am not a Carnival hater - I would gladly return with the right price/itinerary combo. 

• Like 1

When I think of European cruises, Carnival isn't the 1st company that comes to my mind.  Same with Alaska.  Guess their marketing has a lot to do with it, plus our higher expectations for what could be for us a bucket list cruise.  We sailed Princess instead in the Med & Alaska.

Although it's not the Baltics, we did book the Legend for a 9 night Norwegian fjord cruise RT London/Dover for next June.