Altitude sickness at Machu Picchu

marylovestotravel

I'd love to visit Machu Picchu on our South America cruise but am worried about altitude sickness. Any advice? I would like to hear from anyone  who experienced altitude sickness while they were in Machu Picchu and what was the impact on your holiday? What treatment did you have? How effective was it?

Thanks

Mia

FWIW - Cusco is more than 3000 feet higher than Machu Picchu. Thus one is more likely to have problems with altitude in Cusco, which is the gateway to M.P.

Some hotels in Cusco now have the option of providing oxygen to your room in the hotel (at extra cost).

You should consult with your physician who knows your health best and might give you the best answer as to your risk and potential preventative measures.

One of the times we visited M.P. was with a group from Celebrity after Galapagos. One gentleman in the group turned white as a sheet immediately after landing in Cusco and was taken straight to the hospital were he spent the entire 3 days. He even had to have a letter from the hospital’s physician certifying he was able to fly back to Lima.

The rest of the group was fine.

PS The gentleman who had this trouble had some underlining health issues (lung condition?)

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

FWIW - Cusco is more than 3000 feet higher than Machu Picchu. Thus one is more likely to have problems with altitude in Cusco, which is the gateway to M.P.

Some hotels in Cusco now have the option of providing oxygen to your room in the hotel (at extra cost).

You should consult with your physician who knows your health best and might give you the best answer as to your risk and potential preventative measures.

Yes.  We flew from Lima to Cusco (like 25 years ago) and we chewed the coca leaves they gave us. Bob really had no symptoms and I just had a bad taste in my mouth.  And tired.  So we would walk around for an hour plus and then lie down.  Then walk around some more.  By the following day I was fine.  And, yes, as Paul says, check with your PCP.  It was magical.  And try the guinea pig/cuy 🙂

2 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

I'd love to visit Machu Picchu on our South America cruise but am worried about altitude sickness. Any advice? I would like to hear from anyone  who experienced altitude sickness while they were in Machu Picchu and what was the impact on your holiday? What treatment did you have? How effective was it?

Thanks

Mia

You love to travel, so where have you been in terms of high altitude?

As Paulchili pointed out, the "gateway" to MP is much higher.

MP is about the same altitude as Aspen, Colorado, in case that comparison is of any help.

However, even if you've been to Aspen, you may not have been all that physically active (ignore that if you've been skiing there!).

We had thought MP was very high as well, until we looked up the altitude, which was a surprise.

GC

There is no predicting how any individual person will react to the altitude. Being fit and healthy is not necessarily an indication.

As has been said, Cusco is higher than Machu Picchu. We did just notice the altitude in Cusco, but it was not a bother at all. We made sure we kept drinking water and we were fine. It was nothing like the 3 days we had in Lhasa, Tibet, where we felt as if we had an elephant sitting on our chest, particularly at night - sleep was difficult. Machu Picchu was no problem at all, for us.

Don't want to scare anyone, just being realistic. Our guide in Peru belittled altitude sickness, saying it was all in the mind. An irresponsible attitude! Definitely do not underestimate the possible effect of altitude sickness, which is unpredictable! A few years ago our neighbour died of altitude sickness in Machu Picchu, despite having had a medical check before leaving home and getting the all clear from his doctor.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

You love to travel, so where have you been in terms of high altitude?

As Paulchili pointed out, the "gateway" to MP is much higher.

MP is about the same altitude as Aspen, Colorado, in case that comparison is of any help.

However, even if you've been to Aspen, you may not have been all that physically active (ignore that if you've been skiing there!).

We had thought MP was very high as well, until we looked up the altitude, which was a surprise.

GC

I happen to live in Aspen. If no underlying health issues, assume you will be fine. Stay hydrated, and avoid or limit alcohol. Those Pisco Sours may sound appealing, but not at high altitude. You may also experience insomnia.

Yes, the hotels do offer oxygen and that would help with any issues. If you plan on doing any hiking you may experience shortness of breath.

Check with your MD prior and heed their advice. Hope you get to experience it 🙂

6 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

However, even if you've been to Aspen, you may not have been all that physically active 

I have a relative in Aspen and have been there twice. The first time, I  got altitude sickness (lasted the whole time I was there), but the second time I was fine...these visits were several years apart. My relative said it seems pretty random whether someone will be affected. 

I'll be in Machu Picchu in 6 months so I'm hoping for the best!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

We were in MP in 2016 and I have asthma.  I agree that you should check with your own doctor about any health issues you may have before you go.  We were a party of four, two of us had issues and two did not but not bad enough to require medical intervention.  We did bring an over the counter Altitude Sickness med which worked for the two of us.   We planned for a week to explore not only Machu Picchu (amazing!) but the surrounding countryside.  The best thing we did was contract with Kuoda Travel to take care of us for the week.  Our fantastic guide Katarina made sure our pace never stressed me at anytime.  We did climb above MP for the amazing view/photos and a history lesson from Katarina while we rested.  In Cusco we did pay for extra oxygen to be pumped into our room and we slept very well.  We felt better the next day in Cusco as we walked around.  Once we descended down into the Sacred Valley we were fine.  We skipped the alcohol and kept ourselves hydrated.    Drink only bottled water and wash your hands thoroughly.  The food in Peru is fabulous!

Go Bucks you will have an amazing adventure!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

Yes - but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Just think of literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions, traveling to Machu Picchu, Tibet and skiing in the Rockies without this particular problem.

It's a little bit like reading about an airplane crash and deciding never to fly again.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

I was there about five years ago with a group of 11, mostly aged 65+.  I was 60 ish.  MP and the Sacred Valley didn't bother me.  In Cusco while walking around I had to stop every 5 or 10 minutes and take a few deep breaths.  Had a little trouble sleeping, but otherwise was okay.

A few in the group began taking the medication to avert altitude sickness, but stopped after a couple of days because of the side effects.  What I heard was that they had a distinct metallic taste while taking the med.

Other than that, everyone in the group made the trip okay.  Oxygen was available in the hotels I stayed at.

In 1987 we did an overnight up the Andes from Quito and had absolutely no problem with the altitude.  We didn't even drink the coco tea since we didn't feel it necessary.

In 2015 we went to Cuzco and MP on a 6 day pre-cruise excursion (also with Kuodo Travel which I have mentioned before but not here, at least I don't think so).  Since we're now on the elderly side we took a prescription of the altitude sickness med with us but never felt the effects of sickness.  This time we did drink the tea, but mostly because we discovered we liked it!

Given comments about sometimes people feel effects one time and not the next, yes indeed, check with your doctor first.  Don't listen to our anecdotal comments because we are NOT experts.  We can just relate OUR experiences which may mean nothing to you.

Mura

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Yes - but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Just think of literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions, traveling to Machu Picchu, Tibet and skiing in the Rockies without this particular problem.

It's a little bit like reading about an airplane crash and deciding never to fly again.

Ok,,   I have to step in...,  For many years I was a high-altitude mountaineer and  NPS  Cimbing Ranger  EMT trained in High altitude  care   I am NOT a doctor... but any MD with Altitude knowledge will validate what I am going to say.   Heed it...

Mountain sickness   can  effect almost everyone who rapidly ascends from a lower altitude    The pressure difference  by as little as 3000 ft in 12 hours can cause Brain Swelling ( cerebral edema affecting the vital signs  Pulse, Respiration, Bp).,

AND  the lungs to fill with fluid  ( High altitude Pulmonary EDEMA  HAPE.)      For most sea level dwellers it hits between 8000 to 10,000 MSL .         Both  can be fatal...  .   People who are anemic, elderly  have cardiac or  pulmonary disease are  very susceptible-it is a load of  garbage to suggest that it is mental...it is VERY physical.   

Like Hypothermia, your senses become lessened and you are not totally aware till your in poor shape. A slight cough   and vision  , coordination begin to diminish.    O2 masks the symptoms  its really all due to less atmospheric pressure... not lack of O2 that is the problem.   It hits everyone...  there are not really any exceptions as Paul mentioned.    Only a lack of perception of the victims. and denial.

There are only 2 things you can do to prevent    ascend less than 6000 in a 24 hour period  and Take the medication "DIAMOX"  ( used by military and  Mountain rescue people when rapid ascent is required

Your body  will take 12 to 24 hours to acclimate. at that altitude  but thats only good for going 3000 ft higher.  . So you will need another 12-24    at the next 3000 ft  and so on.....   UP to 18,000.     

The only effective treatment is getting  the person to a lower altitude as fast as possible.. Antibiotics and  O2. have marginal effect.        Drinking lots of water is  and can be counter productive as it promotes systemic edema in the brain and lungs .

Living in Aspen  Denver or other  higher elevations  will acclimate you...while your living there.  It dosen't last more than  a few days... You loose it.  Chewing on cocaine extracts leaves teas only numbs your awareness of bad things. 

Flying to Cusco ia an altitude change of 10,000 ft in less than 2 hours.    You can Fly into CUSCO and immidiately take a taxi to Olontombo at 5000 ft and  then to Agua Calente .   This is the best way to avoid getting whacked.    The Picchu is  is far below  Staying in Cusco if pushing the envelope and playing with reality...... 

I have Experienced HAPE..   I have treated  and seen mountain visitors get it....Is is no joke  it is much more common  than one thinks....

Be healthy  be smart.....

11182274_1423298884654669_9209719498798377092_n.jpg

35 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

So I guess it's just very idiosyncratic, how one will react.

This is the most important fact posted here so far.

While we were in Cusco, M tolerated the stay well enough with some shortness of breath while walking (not that unusual). Shortly after our trip a routine annual physical showed significantly lower hemoglobin due to what turned out to be chronic blood loss due to early colon cancer. All is well and cancer free for 5+ years now but here was a person with significantly lower hemoglobin (though chronic and thus the body somewhat adjusted to it) and yet she did just fine in Cusco & MP while young "healthy" people might have problems.

Go figure.

I found out I was bothered by altitude upon landing in La Paz Bolivia many years ago when I was about 26.  Ever after I have followed the rules of no alcohol, light eating, plenty of water, rest, and moving slowly the first few days in any high place.  We lived in Bogota Colombia (8,700 ft) for a few years without incident following these rules when coming back.  Recently, now seniors, when my husband and I visited family in Bogota, he reacted to the altitude for the first time ever.  It turned out to be a symptom of a serious heart problem.  Cuzco and Machu Picchu are wonderful places to visit but you can have altitude problems at any age for many different reasons so be mindful of the possibiltiy.  I never took pills or chewed leaves but many other people touring  swore by the tea made from mate de coca ( I did not like the slight sweetness).  I am sorry I will never see Nepal but happy I have seen some other high places.  Go for it if in good health.

4 hours ago, tvmovielover said:

I found out I was bothered by altitude upon landing in La Paz Bolivia many years ago when I was about 26.  Ever after I have followed the rules of no alcohol, light eating, plenty of water, rest, and moving slowly the first few days in any high place.  We lived in Bogota Colombia (8,700 ft) for a few years without incident following these rules when coming back.  Recently, now seniors, when my husband and I visited family in Bogota, he reacted to the altitude for the first time ever.  It turned out to be a symptom of a serious heart problem.  Cuzco and Machu Picchu are wonderful places to visit but you can have altitude problems at any age for many different reasons so be mindful of the possibiltiy.  I never took pills or chewed leaves but many other people touring  swore by the tea made from mate de coca ( I did not like the slight sweetness).  I am sorry I will never see Nepal but happy I have seen some other high places.  Go for it if in good health.

Forget taking  coca...   Diamox is  recognized  to be very effective  I have been to almost 19,000 ft using it and working a week as t time at 11,000 to 14,000.      Diamox  is RX   from your doctor.... it  enables Co2 and excess fluid ( edema) to  be eliminated by your kidneys  helping the lungs absorb more 02 at the same altitude  By promoting fluid removal it also helps prevent HACE.   It works Very well if you have good Kidneys

In reading the prior  reports "  Oh id didnt  really bother us... we were  just " short of breath, could not sleep, tired, ."    That is  really ignoring the fact that  they were being impacted by the first stages of Pulmonary edema.... that was the reality.... your body sends you messages it is not  in good shape... and wants you to listen.....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Ok,,   I have to step in...,  For many years I was a high-altitude mountaineer and  NPS  Cimbing Ranger  EMT trained in High altitude  care   I am NOT a doctor... but any MD with Altitude knowledge will validate what I am going to say.   Heed it...

Mountain sickness   can  effect almost everyone who rapidly ascends from a lower altitude    The pressure difference  by as little as 3000 ft in 12 hours can cause Brain Swelling ( cerebral edema affecting the vital signs  Pulse, Respiration, Bp).,

AND  the lungs to fill with fluid  ( High altitude Pulmonary EDEMA  HAPE.)      For most sea level dwellers it hits between 8000 to 10,000 MSL .         Both  can be fatal...  .   People who are anemic, elderly  have cardiac or  pulmonary disease are  very susceptible-it is a load of  garbage to suggest that it is mental...it is VERY physical.   

Like Hypothermia, your senses become lessened and you are not totally aware till your in poor shape. A slight cough   and vision  , coordination begin to diminish.    O2 masks the symptoms  its really all due to less atmospheric pressure... not lack of O2 that is the problem.   It hits everyone...  there are not really any exceptions as Paul mentioned.    Only a lack of perception of the victims. and denial.

There are only 2 things you can do to prevent    ascend less than 6000 in a 24 hour period  and Take the medication "DIAMOX"  ( used by military and  Mountain rescue people when rapid ascent is required

Your body  will take 12 to 24 hours to acclimate. at that altitude  but thats only good for going 3000 ft higher.  . So you will need another 12-24    at the next 3000 ft  and so on.....   UP to 18,000.     

The only effective treatment is getting  the person to a lower altitude as fast as possible.. Antibiotics and  O2. have marginal effect.        Drinking lots of water is  and can be counter productive as it promotes systemic edema in the brain and lungs .

Living in Aspen  Denver or other  higher elevations  will acclimate you...while your living there.  It dosen't last more than  a few days... You loose it.  Chewing on cocaine extracts leaves teas only numbs your awareness of bad things. 

Flying to Cusco ia an altitude change of 10,000 ft in less than 2 hours.    You can Fly into CUSCO and immidiately take a taxi to Olontombo at 5000 ft and  then to Agua Calente .   This is the best way to avoid getting whacked.    The Picchu is  is far below  Staying in Cusco if pushing the envelope and playing with reality...... 

I have Experienced HAPE..   I have treated  and seen mountain visitors get it....Is is no joke  it is much more common  than one thinks....

Be healthy  be smart.....

11182274_1423298884654669_9209719498798377092_n.jpg

Hawaiidan hits the nail square on the head!

Cusco is lower in elevation than MP.

Unless they have changed things (which is likely), most of the flights into from Cusco from Lima depart early in the morning meaning that unless weather prohibits landing at Cusco you will also arrive there early in the morning.  It also means, that people returning to Lima are boarding all those aircraft from Lima ferrying in new tourists.  Cusco hotels are geared up for this rotational time factor and generally will get you into your room within a reasonable time after reaching the hotel.  They will have cocoa tea and oxygen available for those who want/need it.

In our case, sightseeing activities didn't begin until the afternoon and new arrivals were encouraged to take a nap until then.  We were traveling with Peruvian friends and ironically bumped into an America guy I had worked with in Tokyo and who had returned to Tokyo.  He was there with a group who had just finished a regional conference held in Lima.  As it turned out all of us happened to be on the same excursions the entire time we were in Cusco & MP.

Before leaving Jacksonville for our trip DW and I visited a "Travel" MD who prescribed Diamox and provided us with detailed instructions on when to start taking the medication.  Soon after our arrival in Cusco, the wife of our Peruvian friend began suffering from altitude sickness, as did my old buddy from Tokyo.  They were married to an O2 bottle.

Day trippers that take the train from Cusco to MP leave Cusco around 5 AM.  Once you leave Cusco you descend in altitude and the symptoms of altitude sickness disappear.  The symptoms won't manifest themselves again until after board the bus in Agua Calente and actually arrive at MP.  Incidentally MP is higher than Cusco. Not very long after arriving at altitude in MP, both of our friends started getting sick.  They actually had to evacuate our Peruvian friend's wife down to Agua Calente earlier than scheduled.  They were both fine on the train ride back to Cusco until we started reaching higher altitudes and then once again each married an O2 bottle.  The next day's excursions took us to lower altitudes and they were OK.  But, at higher altitudes later that day they were dependent on Oxygen. 

I can tell you first hand both of them were extremely miserable and basically bed ridden the entire time they were at the higher altitudes, with or without the O2!  DW and I handled it well.

Bottom line, do yourself a favor by visiting an MD before you start your trip.  Get a script for DIAMOX and take as instructed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Bottom line, do yourself a favor by visiting an MD before you start your trip.  Get a script for DIAMOX and take as instructed.

I guess I agree with you.  Better safe than sorry, for sure.  We were there over 25 years ago.  Bob had NO problem and I just had a little icky taste in my mouth.  By the following day all was well.

1 hour ago, Traveling Fools said:

Cusco is lower in elevation than MP.

I hope that this is a typo because it is dead wrong

See above post by sitraveler - Cusco is higher and not just by a little bit either.

• Like 1

Since the OP asked about those that had problems.... I will raise my hand.

Followed the doctors instructions -- no alcohol and took the DIAMOX pills at the the prescribed time before.  Landed at Quito, by the time I got into the Taxi, was already feeling the effects.  Tiredness, slightly dizzy and headaches.

For me Quito was a bust, we went to the Galapagos and all symptoms gone, almost immediately.

We went from their to Lima and then to Cusco.  Again same symptoms.   The "tea" did help.  Drank lots of water..

Symptoms were not that bad and hotel did have O2 which greatly helped. 

On to Machu Pichu, which IS lower altitude -- still had a slight headache , but did not hinder my activity.

Edited by PaulMCO

We are sitting in the Lima airport having just spent 7 days visiting Scared Valley (8,500 ft), Machu Picchu (7,500 ft) and finally Cusco (11,500 ft).  I think by doing in that order is helpful as you have a chance to acclimate before spending any time in Cusco.  While none of our group had altitude sickness, we all felt effects, slight headaches, lack of stamina, huffing and puffing. 

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We are sitting in the Lima airport having just spent 7 days visiting Scared Valley (8,500 ft), Machu Picchu (7,500 ft) and finally Cusco (11,500 ft).  I think by doing in that order is helpful as you have a chance to acclimate before spending any time in Cusco.  While none of our group had altitude sickness, we all felt effects, slight headaches, lack of stamina, huffing and puffing. 

look at what you just said !!!     We did not have altitude sickness  !!   Really   Headache, difficulty breathing , lack of strength,....    You had it  you just  choose to   ignore the symptoms       Again  fly to Cusco descend  from the airport to Agua Calente.... stay there. at 5500 ft   spend the night  there not Cusco...  the next day you will be good for  8500-9000 ft.     Then return to Cusco  only a 2000 ft increase.