The Caribbean Princess... soon will be making another run! A live blog

amanda384

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Note that not all ships have MedallionNet at this time like the "CB" does ( make sure you don't use 'CP' as the abbreviation ... unless you want to be ... )

and it has been posted that the Medallion Net works better in some locations that Princess visits ... the Caribbean itineraries versus Alaska ... where the Royal Princess is currently located

Medallion Net uses satellites with a much lower earth orbit vs the more traditional geostationary satellites and as such, the closer you are to the equator on a Medallion Net ship, the better the Internet service will be.

To me that is a strange Embarkation Lunch menu.  Been on many ships (although first time on Princess) and always had the lunch in DR, when available.   We will be fine because my DH loves Trout and I am very happy with the Tenderloin.   There is always chicken available for those who are not fond of fish and don't eat red meat.  I know that there is a pasta but still, not as inclusive as I am used to.  Looking forward to the dessert!

Following.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geta911 said:

Hi Amanda ..... I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase an internet package. If the connection is "great" rather than iffy I think I would buy it so I'm very interested in your on-board experience with the internet.  Thanks & enjoy!

Hi,

From everything I've read the best deal in the Internet package is the 1st day of the cruise, and, if you are Platinum or Elite, you get an additional 25% off that (in exchange for the 250 free minutes you have).

However...

Our experience next week will be different than Amanda's, she is cruising the Caribbean, which is an idal location for access to the MedallionNet's satellites.  There is a YouTube video that explains how it works, and, it's not too hard to understand. If you Fast Forward to 5:11and the following maps is there.  Basically as we head north our access to the Hi speed sat's will become more limited. From this map it looks like we should be ok... We want to be using the MEO sat's.

Screenshot from 2019-07-20 19-38-01.png

We are in for the night! A little early but we had a very late night last night. 

Dinner was in the Palm Dining Room and it was very good.  Pictures of the menus and some items below.  We are seated with two other couples, random seatmates. That could have gone either way but they seem really fun so far and we have a good deal in common to chat about.  The 9:30 show was comedian Troy Thirdgill. It was a cute show, very benign humor and certainly appropriate for kids. I'm posting a picture of the theater at 9:27 pm, 3 minutes before show time.  As you can see there was still plenty of empty space.

The internet, as Jeter said (Go Yanks, btw!) is insanely fast and always available. Good for me because I like being able to do things like follow the baseball scores, play my little games, etc. And of course, live blog!

We got an invite to the Captain's Circle cocktail reception. We are ruby and I think that is usually just platinum and elite but there are a TON of blue medallions on this sailing so I guess they had to go deeper into the well.

So far no noticeable vibrations and the a/c in our Lido balcony room is great. It was a little warm when we arrived but good now, and I tend to prefer things on the colder side.

Will check in tomorrow during my sea day!

20190720_193309.jpg

20190720_205458.jpg

20190720_195902.jpg

20190720_195941.jpg

20190720_202730.jpg

20190720_202754.jpg

20190720_193318.jpg

20190720_212745.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to do a Live.  I'm boarding on Saturday, when you disembark (sorry!), but I am definitely not wishing the week goes by quickly because I have so much work to finish up before Friday!  Looking forward to your updates and more photos. 

• Like 2

Have a wonderful cruise and thank you for sharing your voyage with us.  Our favorite cruise so far was on Caribbean Princess in 2016.  Calm seas, good weather, great food, entertainment and service.  And we had a wonderful family for our table mates.  We are sailing on Caribbean Princess in Feb.  Thankful to hear the air conditioning is working.

7 hours ago, geta911 said:

Hi Amanda ..... I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase an internet package. If the connection is "great" rather than iffy I think I would buy it so I'm very interested in your on-board experience with the internet.  Thanks & enjoy!

Internet speed depends on where you are sailing. Most of the satellites cover the Caribbean, and speeds have been amazing.

Alaskan sailings have been experiencing much slower speeds, because there are few satellites up there.

9 hours ago, amanda384 said:

We are in for the night! A little early but we had a very late night last night. 

Dinner was in the Palm Dining Room and it was very good.  Pictures of the menus and some items below.  We are seated with two other couples, random seatmates. That could have gone either way but they seem really fun so far and we have a good deal in common to chat about.  The 9:30 show was comedian Troy Thirdgill. It was a cute show, very benign humor and certainly appropriate for kids. I'm posting a picture of the theater at 9:27 pm, 3 minutes before show time.  As you can see there was still plenty of empty space.

The internet, as Jeter said (Go Yanks, btw!) is insanely fast and always available. Good for me because I like being able to do things like follow the baseball scores, play my little games, etc. And of course, live blog!

We got an invite to the Captain's Circle cocktail reception. We are ruby and I think that is usually just platinum and elite but there are a TON of blue medallions on this sailing so I guess they had to go deeper into the well.

So far no noticeable vibrations and the a/c in our Lido balcony room is great. It was a little warm when we arrived but good now, and I tend to prefer things on the colder side.

Will check in tomorrow during my sea day!

20190720_193309.jpg

20190720_205458.jpg

20190720_195902.jpg

20190720_195941.jpg

20190720_202730.jpg

20190720_202754.jpg

20190720_193318.jpg

20190720_212745.jpg

What's the dish above the prime rib? Curious to how cool your AC got, as my cabin was crazy warm when j was onboard. Glad you enjoyed the show last night. On my sailing a few weeks ago it was reported there was over 2,800 blue medallion first timers onboard. It is extremely amazed on the mass quantities of the blue onboard. But then again most ships are not here in the summer months and everyone enjoys going to a beach so that's my thought process. 

Good morning all! Yes, it was the chili. It was good but almost more like a beef stew. Not very spicy.

Today we went to the Coral dining room for breakfast. It was good. Husband likes the dining room for breakfast but I am more into the buffet.  Then we went to the Lido deck for the pool which was gorgeous. But then they started playing a sad movie about a dog on the big screen and we just put one of our dogs down a few days before we left so I had to go. Can't do dog movies right now.  😞

On the way back to the room I stopped at Coffee and Cones. FYI they do not have drip coffee there, only specialty coffees. Of course there is free coffee at the buffet. I have the coffee card so it was no big deal, but something to be aware of if you frequent the Lido.

It seems like a very relaxed sea day today. We will probably play some trivia later and have a drink at Vines. Tonight is formal night, so that should be fun. The show tonight is Broadway Ballroom and I hope to check that out. Pics of breakfast and the menu below!

20190721_082253.jpg

20190721_082256.jpg

20190721_082407.jpg

20190721_084200.jpg

@amanda384 As a heads up, if you look the back of the princess patter where the dinning info is located daily under the Planks / Steamers it will tell you the lunch special they have for the day starting around 11:30 or noon. Daily they switch it up create your own and they'll cook it for you between Ramen Noodle bar. Mongolian Beef Station (Stir Fry). It's a very nice concept. Something to check out. It is where the omlette station is in the morning.

• Like 3

We are boarding on the 27th.  The Port Everglades website shows this ship coming into Terminal 21 that day even though you left from Terminal 2.  If you get the chance, would you ask at the front desk and confirm, if they know, what terminal the ship will be at this Saturday?  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

We are boarding on the 27th.  The Port Everglades website shows this ship coming into Terminal 21 that day even though you left from Terminal 2.  If you get the chance, would you ask at the front desk and confirm, if they know, what terminal the ship will be at this Saturday?  Thanks.

This is the only princess ships that's cruising bin and out of FLL this season. Terminal 21 sounds like an mistake. Especially since Terminal 2 is their main terminal that you s fully medallion be equipped.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

@amanda384 As a heads up, if you look the back of the princess patter where the dinning info is located daily under the Planks / Steamers it will tell you the lunch special they have for the day starting around 11:30 or noon. Daily they switch it up create your own and they'll cook it for you between Ramen Noodle bar. Mongolian Beef Station (Stir Fry). It's a very nice concept. Something to check out. It is where the omlette station is in the morning.

Good point! Today is ramen, which is not a favorite of ours, but I loon forward to the Mongolian beef!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, In Toronto said:

To me that is a strange Embarkation Lunch menu.  Been on many ships (although first time on Princess) and always had the lunch in DR, when available.   We will be fine because my DH loves Trout and I am very happy with the Tenderloin.   There is always chicken available for those who are not fond of fish and don't eat red meat.  I know that there is a pasta but still, not as inclusive as I am used to.  Looking forward to the dessert!

Following.

Enjoy.

Two out of three of my favorites are missing: the Raviolis and the Salmon.  At least, they still have the shrimp appetizer.

15 hours ago, geta911 said:

Hi,

From everything I've read the best deal in the Internet package is the 1st day of the cruise, and, if you are Platinum or Elite, you get an additional 25% off that (in exchange for the 250 free minutes you have).

However...

Our experience next week will be different than Amanda's, she is cruising the Caribbean, which is an idal location for access to the MedallionNet's satellites.  There is a YouTube video that explains how it works, and, it's not too hard to understand. If you Fast Forward to 5:11and the following maps is there.  Basically as we head north our access to the Hi speed sat's will become more limited. From this map it looks like we should be ok... We want to be using the MEO sat's.

44 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

This is the only princess ships that's cruising bin and out of FLL this season. Terminal 21 sounds like an mistake. Especially since Terminal 2 is their main terminal that you s fully medallion be equipped.

We've had this diiscussion in the Roll Call for the 27th, We believe it's a typo, someone over there posted that some other ships is slated for that Terminal on the 27th as well.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Torn between anytime & TD. Where's ATD? 

ATD is in the Coral from 5-9, and in the Island from 7:30-9. I like traditional dining myself, now that the late seating us 7:30 instead of 8:15 or 8:30. That was a bit late even for me.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, polmcs said:

Medallion Net uses satellites with a much lower earth orbit vs the more traditional geostationary satellites and as such, the closer you are to the equator on a Medallion Net ship, the better the Internet service will be.

This is good to know. Thanks for the explanation. We've been on CB in Caribbean last Christmas, the internet speed is fast. We'll be on her soon for Canada cruise, I expect the speed will be slower then?