GV and big group!

erdoran

This is still in fantasy land but it might happen.  I’ve already posted about babies and GV.  Here’s what I’m trying to do:

we have 6 kids and 2 spouses (potentially 3) and 8 grandkids.  We want to try to book 2 GVs to sail together.  Evidently we exceed the capacity, so we’re thinking of booking the cheapest inside cabin for the overflow adults, figuring the cost of 2 UBPs will pay for the inside.  

Which ships have the biggest GVS?

If we pull this off, can we rotate 16 people through the suite dining rooms, even though 2 of them are in inside cabins?  We’d have 2 GV people not use the suite dining that day to make it fair.  We will have paid for 16 for suite dining so I think it’s reasonable.

What’s the best way to make this work, short of booking a suite for two guys who could care less about anything except the UBP, but who are part of our group?  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a nice tip to the concierge at the beginning to explain our situation and see how he could help.

We could also do meals in the GV but it’s going to be too difficult to coordinate eveyrone’s schedules, I’d rather people just go to the suite dining as they choose rather than us having to have 8 or 16 available at a set time for butler-served in-suite meals.

Anyone ever done something this nuts?

Even though we’re only looking at 3 cabins, given our number of people, would NCL Group Services be the right source for assistance?

All advice welcome!

10 hours ago, erdoran said:

This is still in fantasy land but it might happen.  I’ve already posted about babies and GV.  Here’s what I’m trying to do:

we have 6 kids and 2 spouses (potentially 3) and 8 grandkids.  We want to try to book 2 GVs to sail together.  Evidently we exceed the capacity, so we’re thinking of booking the cheapest inside cabin for the overflow adults, figuring the cost of 2 UBPs will pay for the inside.  

If we pull this off, can we rotate 16 people through the suite dining rooms, even though 2 of them are in inside cabins?  We’d have 2 GV people not use the suite dining that day to make it fair.  We will have paid for 16 for suite dining so I think it’s reasonable.

What’s the best way to make this work, short of booking a suite for two guys who could care less about anything except the UBP, but who are part of our group?  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a nice tip to the concierge at the beginning to explain our situation and see how he could help.

We could also do meals in the GV but it’s going to be too difficult to coordinate eveyrone’s schedules, I’d rather people just go to the suite dining as they choose rather than us having to have 8 or 16 available at a set time for butler-served in-suite meals.

Even though we’re only looking at 3 cabins, given our number of people, would NCL Group Services be the right source for assistance?

All advice welcome!

]

Please lets us know what date you have booked and what you ended up booking so that others may avoid your situation if they choose to. Because I for one would not want to listen to kids in the pool/lounge area while I'm trying to relax and same goes for dining. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, erdoran said:

All advice welcome!

I think that if you are 18 people booked in two GVs + one cheap cabin you will all be able to have breakfast and lunch in the suite restaurant. There is no suite restaurant for dinner on ships with GV. Noone can know for sure, you will have to ask the concierge when you are onboard.

16 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

While I understand wanting to save money, perhaps it might be better for each "unit" to get their own cabin. I know if I were invited on a cruise, and told I was sharing a family cabin, I wouldn't be happy.

I understand what you mean but every bedroom in the GV is almost like a smaller cabin so I don't think that is a problem.

8 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

]

Please lets us know what date you have booked and what you ended up booking so that others may avoid your situation if they choose to. Because I for one would not want to listen to kids in the pool/lounge area while I'm trying to relax and same goes for dining. 

Most Haven suites on ships with GV have two bedrooms so you can assume that there will always be some kids there.

We'd be on a non-Haven ship I suspect....and as far as cabins for each unit, we'd be offering to pick up the tab for the GVs - of course anyone in the group is quite welcome to bail and do their own cabins, no one is stopping them!   But that's also why it's a bit of a fantasy as we'd have to see if it could become affordable.

The maximum allowed on Dawn is 7 per Garden Villa. In order to accommodate the 7, one would need to be on the couch, which does not pull out, or perhaps they can bring in a Roll Away. When I had a party of 8, I had 4 of us in the GV and 4 in an Owner's Suite. That way everyone had the full Suite privileges. You could choose one of the cheapest Suites for the overflow. 

14 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

]

You are on a mass market line with NCL, there are kids everywhere. If you don't want to listen to the you need to upgrade yourself to a luxury line, and that is not a guarantee that you will not have kids everywhere.

We booked a suite on the Dawn once and had the overflow booked to an inside.  As long as we didn't send more to the suite dining room than we booked in the suite we were OK.   And, you don't have to dine in the suite dining room.   Breakfast is good because they have a wonderful buffet, but lunch gets a little old because the menu doesn't change.  So when I am in a suite, I usually only eat in the suite dining room for about 5 breakfasts and 2 lunches.   Other breakfasts are quick ones at buffet or in our room before a shore excursion.  Other lunches are skipped (because do I really need a 3 course lunch between my very large breakfast and my butler snacks before dinner?) or quick ones in the 24 hour pub style restaurant.

Hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, erdoran said:

So which ships have the biggest GVs?  I remember there is a difference between ships--I thought Dawn was biggest but they only sleep 7?  Do I mis-remember?

The biggest GVs are on the Jewel class ships - 3 bedrooms on Jewel, Jade, Gem, and Pearl unless that has changed. 

1 minute ago, Pauser said:

The biggest GVs are on the Jewel class ships - 3 bedrooms on Jewel, Jade, Gem, and Pearl unless that has changed. 

Thanks - I had seen an article someplace that showed square footage of GVs.  I know Jade is 3 BR; assumed all were and for some reason I had thought I'd read the Dawn was biggest.  Thanks for the correction.

I was in the Dawn Garden Villa which is huge, the two outside decks add to the square footage and there are 3 bedrooms.  There is a maximum of 7 guests though per Garden Villa.  There are 2 Garden Villas on Deck 14.

2 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Thanks - I had seen an article someplace that showed square footage of GVs.  I know Jade is 3 BR; assumed all were and for some reason I had thought I'd read the Dawn was biggest.  Thanks for the correction.

The Dawn has the biggest outdoor area, that’s for sure. I don’t know about inside square footage but it probably is bigger inside too.

On ships like the Pearl they have two additional Suites on deck 15 above the GVs. I have not been in a GV on these ships, but from the videos I have seen, there is lots of room for people to spread out. Another option would be to move down and forward to the owners suites and penthouses on decks 9 and 10 - I also see where the owner suites also connect to a mini suite. I suspect that you could not get all 16 of you in any one. There are also two PH and eight 2BR Suites in the Haven.

Depending on the age of the kids, you can try booking them in an adjacent non-suite cabin (usually allowed), and then just get extra keys for the adults who will really sleep in there. Then, the adults will have the "suite" priv's and usually if kids join them it does not matter.

The DAWN and the STAR have GVs  the largest amount of total space
2 3 bedroom suites deck 14 port and starboard
3 bedrooms for 2 guests in each - the middle bedroom starboard on the DAWN
had a convertible couch for 1 guest or could substitute a crib for one infant
Port side I would presume to be the same
This my observation as occupant of 14000 on the DAWN sailed Oct 2018
The DAWN & STAR do not have a HAVEN but have the same Owners suites
on decks 9 and 10 as well as the 4 forward non-balcony on deck 12

There is also a mix of 24 forward balcony and non-balcony on deck 12 -
there are 10 2BR suites on deck 11 and more penthouse suites forward
and aft on decks 8 9 and 10

The JEWEL class ships - GEM JADE & PEARL have a HAVEN on deck 14
The Owners suites on decks 9 & 10 have admittance to the Haven as well as
the 8 2BR - 2 Haven suites and the 2 GVs surrounding the Haven complex on deck 14

Refer to the deck plans for the specifics
The are 1 or two unique deck 15 Haven Owners suites on these ships -
Forward facing overlooking the pool deck (12)
STAIRWAY ACCESSIBLE ONLY - No Elevator

I have booked 15500 port side in September on the JEWEL

These are located over the 2 GV suites on deck 14
The JEWEL class GVs are smaller in deck space but almost the same in
physical bedroom galley living entertainment room as those on the DAWN

All the other suites deck 11 10 2BR those forward on decks 9 and 10 aft on
decks 8 9 and 10 do not have Haven admittance.

There are plenty of photos videos YouTube presentation of most of these cabins

There are a variety of ways to mix and match combine cabins - once on board
the Concierge can make accessibility available for the family to gather together.
1 Butler serves both GVs on the DAWN

There will be a whole lot of planning to pull off this family cruise

Best to contact NCL early on to put this together as a package and get the cabins
booked ahead - you may get a break in fare pricing for such a large family group

Working with a TA or PCC might not be such a bad idea instead of the OP waiting
on hold for hours getting all the ducks in a row "i's" dotted "t's" crossed

6 hours ago, WestfieldTraveler said:

Depending on the age of the kids, you can try booking them in an adjacent non-suite cabin (usually allowed), and then just get extra keys for the adults who will really sleep in there. Then, the adults will have the "suite" priv's and usually if kids join them it does not matter.

On our last couple of cruises, NCL would not let us book our older teens/adult children under 21 in a connecting cabin.

Thanks, this is so helpful.  Oldest kid is 11 now so we will have to have adults booked in each cabin, but of course that pays with UBP.  We spent some time pricing and OMG—we knew approx base price of GV but we figured we’d get the “additional guests free” promo—but that’s only for guests 3-5, the remaining ones got charged various fare.  Yes, I was aware of taxes and port charges.   

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

On our last couple of cruises, NCL would not let us book our older teens/adult children under 21 in a connecting cabin.

Hmm....from the below link on the NCL website it would appear that type of booking in a connecting cabin  is explicitly allowed, although things sometimes depend on the country you are booking from.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/age-requirements

I think I can give you some expert insight on this subject. Have occupied the GV 20 x-on the Gem ----(Haven facilities available)-the Star (no Haven)-the Dawn ( no haven- last week we were in 14000)-have configured many rooms for other family members around the ship.The most relevant question is if you are paying the total all will be heavenly -if not the bedroom rooms are in no way equal in any shape or form for a equitable monetary split...I payed the cost in its entirety- so happy happy cruisin for the crowd. The other most relevant situation here is do you have past history with NCL and concierges that possibility may be on board...they are your key to the Kingdom...but I have to state the rules are very strict now ....a change even since my Oct 2018 cruise on the Gem in GV...I am cheerfully awaiting your questions!!!

2 hours ago, GARDENVILLALOVER007 said:

I think I can give you some expert insight on this subject. Have occupied the GV 20 x-on the Gem ----(Haven facilities available)-the Star (no Haven)-the Dawn ( no haven- last week we were in 14000)-have configured many rooms for other family members around the ship.The most relevant question is if you are paying the total all will be heavenly -if not the bedroom rooms are in no way equal in any shape or form for a equitable monetary split...I payed the cost in its entirety- so happy happy cruisin for the crowd. The other most relevant situation here is do you have past history with NCL and concierges that possibility may be on board...they are your key to the Kingdom...but I have to state the rules are very strict now ....a change even since my Oct 2018 cruise on the Gem in GV...I am cheerfully awaiting your questions!!!

This is GREAT!!  How about getting over sticker shock!!  What's the best way to economize on this, given that we have lots of school-aged kids so we have to sail when school is out?

Are there ever specials where all guests in GV other than the first two are free, other than tax, port charges and DSC?

Which ship would YOU choose?

Yep, we'd be paying for the GV/other rooms and probably DSC; we'd let everyone know they have to pay for everything else, which is potentially zero depending on their decisions.  We'd ask each family to kick in some amount towards a butler/concierge tip.  We figured for the groups where 2 have UBP and the rest don't, if everyone gets it they'd split it xx ways (e.g. 8 ways in a full GV so everyone has it).  

We do have past history, I/we have 4 Haven cruises, with 2 more booked.

If we did a Haven ship, are we going to be able to get our non-GV guests into Haven/Haven restaurant if we stick with Plan A where we fill 8 GVs (or 7 in one, 8 in the other, 3 or 4 booked in an inside?)

STICKER SHOCK-- PUTS IT MILDLY---BUT YOU WANT TO BE KING YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THE MONETARY ANGST--LOL-  Many things to be considered here- I found the best logistical approach was I did the 2 Owners suite deck 10 for the overflow - that is a Haven access- I find this Haven Restaurant question confusing --it is breakfast and lunch access-lunch has such limited items boring by day 2-inside cabins in any scenario will be tricky- they will ask for key card -will not scan---the climate of the Haven itself varies by demographic make up---I had  a person report me on the Gem in 2015 that I was not a Haven resident--she knew everyone---the concierge stated - they are GV RESIDENTS-I spent over a month in the Gem GV that year--repeatedly busy buddies reported me---what I am trying to say if everyone is not Haven status it will be a problem...out of the control f the kind butler concierge if some one makes waves---We found that having one GV as home base was GREAT---the rules have been employed a lot stricter in the past year -I will not state the deviations we were given before.They no longer exist.  If possible I would do the Haven ship--in light of your  age groups--summer travel is extreme in cost -no 3 4 5 6 7 8 deals are to be had...have one hem on fall and winter travel. Just disembarked the Dawn on sat---14000- the air conditioning was non existent---pool view from window showed a over burdened pool--emptied 2x because of human waste contamination...the Haven area is delightful-you have a large group so it will be your turf---  what about the Haven rooms--you have little ones for the  box like back bedroom-   I had been on the Dawn in Owners suite a half dozen times before the GV  addiction---it was great---the elevator situation is horrible on that ship at this point in time---over crowding---food in main dining room was superb---many huge groups of 20 guests  or more done with eas--as on the Gem in OCT-   Gem has GREAT AIR GREAT ELEVATORS AND A GREAT HAVEN... Hope I WAS HELPFUL... I  did not have sticker shock--I had ultimate buyers remorse after this GV trip on the Dawn---you know the amount - 6 adults- we had a blast because we were together but a some what Holiday INN ESQUE VIBE.not Hilton or above.....

• Like 1