Immunizations for South America?

zook50

4 hours ago, girljerk said:

I always make an appoint with the Kaiser travel nurse. They look at our records and order any vaccines we might need. Another good source of information is the CDC as someone else mentioned. Here’s the cdc link.https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

Kaiser Travel Nurses are great.   We were on a 15 country trip and they were very good about looking at our medical records and on our Phone Appointment even went into details as to what cities in the countries we would visit.   At the end of the appointment the sent us a prescription list and data sheets on each location.   She gave us recommendations and in a couple cases options -  e.g. Malaria - drugs that required multiple pills per day as opposed to 1 pill a day and for Typhoid - different shot routines according to when we were leaving.

• Like 2

I spent part of my career developing vaccines.  As some have mentioned there has been an ongoing shortage of the FDA approved vaccine YF-Vax in the US and worldwide for a few years now so an alternative vaccine (Stamaril) has been recommended for those who definitely require it.  See the link below where you can get it in your state.  Not sure about Canada.  As for the Malaria vaccine, it has very marginal efficacy and is mostly used in endemic regions of the world.  Most likely your physician will recommend anti-malarial medications instead if you require protection based on your trip.  

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/search-for-stamaril-clinics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ECCruise said:

This is what we received from Oceania yesterday.  Kind of generic. The ship will not deny embarkation if you do not have the certificate but some of the ports may.  I know for sure that French Guiana where we are stopping at Devil's Island will require it.  Any maybe some of the ports after  we visit the Amazon in Brazil.  If you are doing the Eclipse BA-San Antonio or reverse route I wouldn't be concerned. We've done that route a few times and never even thought about vax.

image.thumb.png.d6460c5d81ad5ea4a1ccc25c61f556d3.png

Thanks for the additional info.  I am not at all concerned for our Chile to Argentina cruise.  But if I was traveling the Amazon River I would definitely be more concerned.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for the additional info.  I am not at all concerned for our Chile to Argentina cruise.  But if I was traveling the Amazon River I would definitely be more concerned.

Thankfully we had the YF vax about 12 years ago. It is sometimes out of stock in the USA  

On 7/27/2019 at 9:38 AM, TeeRick said:

Interesting.  Do you mind if I ask about this port requirement as I think it would be useful for some of us to know the details.  We are doing S.America for two weeks on Eclipse in January. From what I have researched, in general you need a YF vaccine certificate to enter some countries only if you personally live in or are recenly coming from a country or area where YF is endemic.  In what ports are you referring to where would you be required?  From your CC post it appears you live in the US, so certificate not required.  In general, the YF vaccine gives you lifelong protection so it is good for people traveling a lot to get it anyway.  It is recommended that you get a booster once every 10 years only if you are constantly exposed in endemic areas.

I am also sailing on the Eclipse South America/Antarctica itinerary in January.  It seems that no specific immunization is required but suggested that you have the Hepatitis A and Typhoid.  If you are in Brazil yellow fever may be necessary but the travel medicine section of the CDC site says that this vaccine is in short supply.

Genzi 

As I said earlier, the International Travel Clinicians here in Canada told us that typhoid immunization is only necessary if we plan on drinking unbottled water or eating raw food in restaurants, street food, etc.  Otherwise, if you're mainly on a cruise and occasionally eating out on land (fully cooked food, bottled water), you don't need it.  Hep shots - absolutely!!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:33 PM, zook50 said:

We will be on Celebrity Eclipse, November 20, 2019 with stops in Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, and Chile.  We are also spending about a week after in Peru and will do a 5 day tour out of Cuzco.   We have done a lot of research and it seems that immunizations for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and Polio/Tetanus/Diptheria are the commonly recommended ones for these countries. The jury's out on malaria, and everything points toward rabies immunization being unnecessary.

Has anyone traveled recently to these areas?  If so, what immunizations did you get?

State Dept is the place to look

Use your local travel clinic for best pricing-- unless your GP has access to vaccines.

Updated Tetnus is important regardless of travel

Happy sailing

Edited by Fogfog

Re:  food handling on land...you're right, Covepointcruiser.  You never are 100% sure it's safe anywhere (even in North America).  I think what they were saying is the best options are fully cooked, hot out of the oven foods vs. salads, for example.

I agree with you - certain countries and restaurants are a little worrisome.  This is why I carefully read other travelers'  reviews of the restaurants I'm going to (for example, the Ecuadorean Reserve and Lodge we're headed to after hiking).  If many people vouch for them, I'm more likely to give them a try and then choose the safest food options.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:33 PM, zook50 said:

We will be on Celebrity Eclipse, November 20, 2019 with stops in Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, and Chile.  We are also spending about a week after in Peru and will do a 5 day tour out of Cuzco.   We have done a lot of research and it seems that immunizations for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and Polio/Tetanus/Diptheria are the commonly recommended ones for these countries. The jury's out on malaria, and everything points toward rabies immunization being unnecessary.

Has anyone traveled recently to these areas?  If so, what immunizations did you get?

Just to clarify, if you are referring to the Tdap or Dtap vaccine the "P" refers to Pertussis, not Polio.  😉

It is recommended to stay current on Tetanus regardless of travel plans.

It is interesting that CDC recommends certain vaccines like Typhoid for many places in the Caribbean too.  For example check out a few places like Jamaica.  Most people don't even think about vaccines going into the Caribbean.  In general CDC advises travelers to have the usual standard childhood vaccines and boosters for Tetanus. They also in general advise travelers to have Hep A, Hep B, and Typhoid.  Jamaica is having a Dengue breakout but no vaccine available.  Hep A and Typhoid are food-borne illnesses so if you tend to eat off of the ship in local places it might be advisable to get these vaccines no matter where you travel.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, ghstudio said:

Clearly the decision rests with you after a discussion with your physician/etc.  However, you have to use a little judgement....for example, if you are visiting quito and cuzco, you should know that mosquitos aren't found above about 6500ft anywhere.  Probably not necessary to get any mosquito carried disease. Make sure whoever gives you advice takes the time to actually think about the specific areas you will be travelling in.....and not just following guidelines that apply to entire country.

The only place we needed insect repellent during our entire 15 day trip, was while touring Machu Picchu (well above 6500)! They little stinkers were relentless.

https://www.adiosadventuretravel.com/blog/2017/10/machu-picchu-guide-to-mosquitoes-and-biting-insects/

On 7/26/2019 at 10:01 AM, alwaysonaship said:

We have been 5 times without any extra immunizations and would say they are not necessary. These are all sophisticated countries and nothing to be concerned about.

But you need to do research if your trip is going afield before or after that route.

For example, leaving Brazil and entering Ecuador (doing a Galapagos extension) might have consequences (it did a few years ago....required YF vax). Or entering some provinces in Argentina.  Or certain areas of Colombia.

Always check in advance.

14 hours ago, ECCruise said:

But you need to do research if your trip is going afield before or after that route.

For example, leaving Brazil and entering Ecuador (doing a Galapagos extension) might have consequences (it did a few years ago....required YF vax). Or entering some provinces in Argentina.  Or certain areas of Colombia.

Always check in advance.

We did the Galapagos twice and no additional immunizations were needed. We did get Hepatitis once along time ago for a SA cruise.  It’s all personal. 

6 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

We did the Galapagos twice and no additional immunizations were needed. We did get Hepatitis once along time ago for a SA cruise.  It’s all personal. 

What countries did you visit immediately before and immediately after Ecuador?  That was my point, not Galapagos and Ecuador.   And if some of these SA countries are involved, it is not personal.  You will not be permitted to enter the country without the yellow card, which we had to supply at the border.

Edited by ECCruise