Were your manners left behind at the last port?

kmeeker

15 hours ago, clo said:

Ah yes.  We're each and all products of our backgrounds.  Some rebelled and got better...or worse.  There's a thread about dressing well for dinner.  If I had the choice, which I don't, I'd take the underdressed over the poor table manners.  Honestly if I were seated with someone like that I'd change tables.  I see it ALL THE TIME.  Arghhhhhhh.

I see people who don't even make an attempt to dress within the stated dress code as having poor manners.  

I was on a B2B with a couple whose luggage didn't arrive with them at the start of the cruise, and they had to scramble in Rome to buy a few things.  She got really creative with the six pieces she purchased and a couple of scarves and was suitably dressed for both daytime and dinner (country club casual every night) without ever wearing the same outfit.  They weren't reunited with their luggage until the end of the first week.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm sure if I travelled with with most, if not all of the 'perfect' children mentioned by many on this thread I'd find fault with their behaviour because the only three REALLY PERFECT children in this world are mine!😁

OK, they might be slightly less than REALLY PERFECT, which is a big mystery to me because both their parents are REALLY PERFECT and we raised then REALLY PERFECTLY! 😉

Well..... to be PERFECTLY HONEST, Mrs. Dawg might have slipped a couple of times but my ULTIMATE REALLY PERFECT parenting must have made up for her shortcomings.🤔

(Yes, there is a wee bit of  😀  and  🙄  in the above)

I believe that most of us can forgive children who are antsy or a bit loud as long as the parents are actively engaged in reminding them that it's the wrong time and place for the behavior ("Shhh, inside voices please" or, "Stop splashing--the water must stay in the pool or you'll have to come out") and then remove them to a place where they won't be bothering others if the child is unable or unwilling to comply.   

To laugh and egg on poor behavior makes me think the parents must have been raised by people with equally poor manners.  It's really unfortunate that the cruise lines are too afraid to say anything to the hoodlums.

• Like 2

Loud kids = turning off my hearing aids.

You should spend a day in my wife's shoes. She has a large in-home daycare (I assist) that she has been running at full capacity for 24 years. I can tell you first hand, it isn't getting any better. Call it the snowflake generation, or whatever you want, but it is really sad to see young kids who have never been given proper guidance. They don't understand cause and effect and only know that the world revolves their family unit. Eight year old kids who do not know how to listen and follow basic instructions, "put your shoes on the shoe mat."

I will soon be 53 and know this isn't new, it's just now the norm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Loud kids = turning off my hearing aids.

You should spend a day in my wife's shoes. She has a large in-home daycare (I assist) that she has been running at full capacity for 24 years. I can tell you first hand, it isn't getting any better. Call it the snowflake generation, or whatever you want, but it is really sad to see young kids who have never been given proper guidance. They don't understand cause and effect and only know that the world revolves their family unit. Eight year old kids who do not know how to listen and follow basic instructions, "put your shoes on the shoe mat."

I will soon be 53 and know this isn't new, it's just now the norm.

It's interesting and something we discuss pretty often.  One daughter and her husband have  a 7 y.o. and  3 y.o.  There have always been "consequences."  They get a warning and then they're swept off to another room to talk about it.  And don't return until there's an agreement.  The other daughter and her husband threaten but don't follow through.  And they've produced two little girls who frequently aren't very fun to be around.

This topic reminds me of the time we sat next to a group of boys in the buffet area.  Every other word was the f-word and they were talking about "getting it on" with various girls.  What really made me shake my head was they appeared to be in the 12-year old age range.

1 minute ago, gooch47 said:

This topic reminds me of the time we sat next to a group of boys in the buffet area.  Every other word was the f-word and they were talking about "getting it on" with various girls.  What really made me shake my head was they appeared to be in the 12-year old age range.

I'd have been inclined to say quietly and politely, "excuse me but I consider your language offensive."

• Like 1

For the most part, I try and take it in stride, knowing that I'm on vacation and supposed to be enjoying myself. If I can't really change the situation (for example, waiting in line for an omelet and having a 5-member family cut in line at the last minute), I just look outside at the beautiful weather or see if I can catch the eye of a bar server and order a drink. 😁 OTOH, sometimes it pays to speak up. Once a small boy was listening to music really loud behind us on an airplane flight and my wife turned around and asked if he could turn it down. The mother, sitting right next to him, hadn't noticed and quickly apologized, saying "oh, I'm sorry. Bobby (or whatever his name was), put your headphones on!" One thing we can't abide is people who run on to an elevator before giving the current passengers the chance to get off. That REALLY irks my wife and she says so. I'd say half the time I say nothing, the other half I'll say something, ahem, rather "choice" at the offending party in another language. If they understand it, so much the better! 😂 

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

I would them to reply in the same language they were using back to you. 

I'm afraid I don't understand what you wrote.  Wrong or missing word(s) ?

22 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

Wow. 😲

Yup. Missing word. I would expect them to reply in the same language they were using back to you. Nasty inappropriate language. That is why I say nothing to anyone. If it gets loud I will ask someone in authority to ask them to lower there voices. 

19 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Yup. Missing word. I would expect them to reply in the same language they were using back to you. Nasty inappropriate language. That is why I say nothing to anyone. If it gets loud I will ask someone in authority to ask them to lower there voices. 

I think my gut reaction would be to say "come on, guys, not here." If that didn't stop them, I'd get up and leave. Maybe they'd be embarrassed, maybe not, but at least I wouldn't be near them anymore. Or my wife and I would start speaking Spanish or Italian. LOL 🤣

25 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

That would make me very happy 🙂  My husband has a pet name for me:  Bruno. My alter ego.  Like "you really don't want to mess with Bruno."  I'm confident I know more 'bad' words than any 12 y.o. and can certainly use with more aplomb.  But I would use my outdoor voice, do my best to embarrass them and ask a staff person to please get a supervisor. Etc. 🙂

Rude people are everywhere.....

All one can try is don't cruise

during holiday period,

hot weather,

under 12 nights in length,

pick a cruise line with out water parks and slides

and chill out...... and laugh on the inside at the rude people.

Welcome to cruising in 2010's

Cheers Don

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, clo said:

That would make me very happy 🙂  My husband has a pet name for me:  Bruno. My alter ego.  Like "you really don't want to mess with Bruno."  I'm confident I know more 'bad' words than any 12 y.o. and can certainly use with more aplomb.  But I would use my outdoor voice, do my best to embarrass them and ask a staff person to please get a supervisor. Etc. 🙂

OK Clo, I got to give you some friendly advice.  Don't start throwing "bad words" at 12 year olds, no matter how obnoxious they might be.  Could get you into a lot of trouble.  Now, it you want to knock them in the head that is OK.  😀 

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

OK Clo, I got to give you some friendly advice.  Don't start throwing "bad words" at 12 year olds, no matter how obnoxious they might be.  Could get you into a lot of trouble.  Now, it you want to knock them in the head that is OK.  😀 

If you'll reread my post I never said I would call them names.  But I'm capable of it.  Oh, no, I'd call for management and explains what *I* was called and ask THEM to deal with it.  But I'll tell you I can give looks that are awesome 🙂

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Rude people are everywhere.....

All one can try is don't cruise

during holiday period,

hot weather,

under 12 nights in length,

pick a cruise line with out water parks and slides

and chill out...... and laugh on the inside at the rude people.

Welcome to cruising in 2010's

Cheers Don

So true.  We make a game out of it -- funniest rudeness and most B.S.  Sadly, the age advantaged group is well represented.    

2 minutes ago, clo said:

If you'll reread my post I never said I would call them names.  But I'm capable of it.  Oh, no, I'd call for management and explains what *I* was called and ask THEM to deal with it.  But I'll tell you I can give looks that are awesome 🙂

No worries.  I was just joshing. 

Takes years to develop the ol' stink eye.  😀

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Takes years to develop the ol' stink eye.  😀

And realize that I came from the South and there's little scarier than a pissed off Southern Woman 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

And realize that I came from the South and there's little scarier than a pissed off Southern Woman 🙂

So true.  My family is from Alabama and Texas.   Migrated to California during the bad years.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

So true.  My family is from Alabama and Texas.   Migrated to California during the bad years.  

People have commented "oh, Southern women are so nice."  My reply is that it's a veneer and don't scratch too deep 🙂