Treats @ the coffee shop - Free..?

lasekeye

Hello, as we prepare for our first sailing with Celebrity, I’ve got another question please.

I noticed the Celebrity site states complimentary food items at the coffee shop, but the beverage items have a fee.  Are the food items “free-free” or is it “free food item with a paid beverage”? 

With the Classic Beverage package I think things up to $5 or $6 are included.  Fancy coffee drinks with alcohol I believe require the Premium package or pay the difference if you have Classic.  I don't have first hand experience so please correct if I'm wrong.  Didn't want a first time Celebrity cruiser embarrassed if they ordered something with Classic package which wasn't covered.

All the food items in/on the case are complimentary to everyone.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Oh wow, now I’m really impressed!

Thank you everyone, our regular cruise line has a coffee shop too, but everything has a fee ( the treats are VERY little cost compared to the size of the piece & considering they are a nicer offering than at the buffet).  I see a few yummy small plates in my near future.

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

With the Classic Beverage package I think things up to $5 or $6 are included.  Fancy coffee drinks with alcohol I believe require the Premium package or pay the difference if you have Classic.  I don't have first hand experience so please correct if I'm wrong.  Didn't want a first time Celebrity cruiser embarrassed if they ordered something with Classic package which wasn't covered.

All the food items in/on the case are complimentary to everyone.

You're right. The fancy coffee drinks with alcohol are covered under the Premium package, or the difference plus 20% gratuity if it's bought under the Classic package.   I don't know about the Affogato, since that's made with Gelateria gelato.

Edited by cocobakerchica

I have been fooled before by thinking the pasties and cakes look some delicious on cruise ships only to be terribly disappointed at first bite (I’m looking at you Princess almond croissants).  So, for those of you with experience on X, which morning pastries and which afternoon/evening cakes are actual worth the calories?

Favorites?  How about the coffee?  And does it depend on which ship? (I will be sailing the Solstice). 

Almond croissants get rave reviews.  I just started enjoying them the last couple of cruises.  I had a fabulous raspberry doughnut one time on Equinox but having tried my best I have not found another wonderful doughnut on Celebrity.

I find most of the deserts in the dining room disappointing more looks over taste.  If you are in a suite and dine in Luminae their deserts are pretty good.

• Like 1

I have found that these desserts actually are as good as they look compared to most onboard. Blu and Luminae have a few good desserts and the specialty restaurants have some good ones, but rarely have been burned by the Cafe al Bacio desserts. My DH loves the chocolate desserts and I usually go with a lemon or lime confection.

On my last cruise on the Infinity, there were 3 of us (3 people without their partners) at Cafe al Bacio every morning around 6:30 or 7. We got the best seats by the window and happily were on our devices for an hour or two until our partners dragged themselves out of bed.  The server there knew us all well and after the first day, called us by name when we arrived and brought us our usual coffee or tea with our pastries without asking. She would chat with each of us and it became such a pleasant part of the day for me. I always had an almond croissant and a chocolate croissant with my wonderful Tea Forte. It is a wonderful place!

image.png.adb68d709a424a4484c9c7986b3f620a.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

The lemon tarts are to die for! The carrot muffins I think are very good, but the blueberry muffins are dry.  And you can get cafe aflogato (sp) on the classic package. BTW it is no longer on the coffee menu but I just asked for it and got it two weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

I have been fooled before by thinking the pasties and cakes look some delicious on cruise ships only to be terribly disappointed at first bite (I’m looking at you Princess almond croissants).  So, for those of you with experience on X, which morning pastries and which afternoon/evening cakes are actual worth the calories?

Favorites?  How about the coffee?  And does it depend on which ship? (I will be sailing the Solstice). 

The coffee served shipwide(including Cafe al Bacio) is Lavazza.  It's all very good, but because al Bacio's coffee is freshly made to order, it's best.  I can't comment on anything made with shredded coconut because I dislike it, most of the pastries are lovely at the Oceanview Cafe(the croissants at breakfast are pretty good), as well as the ice cream up there too. MDR desserts can be hit or miss.  I liked the creme brulee a lot, the cheesecake is not true New York style as advertised, but it's still good, the apple pie was a disappointment.  The doughnuts at Tuscan Grill were superb when I tried them.

15 minutes ago, nimiq said:

OMG !! I am so stupid I always though these were free only if you had a paid coffee or tea. Equinox I cant wait to eat all of them now lol lol.

sea ya

Eric

Have fun making up for lost time!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cocobakerchica said:

You're right. The fancy coffee drinks with alcohol are covered under the Premium package, or the difference plus 20% gratuity if it's bought under the Classic package.   I don't know about the Affogato, since that's made with Gelateria gelato.

The Cafe Olé and Cafe Kingston are both covered by the Classic Package.  The others you’d only pay the up charge.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, cocobakerchica said:

Ok the coffee is free on a classic package and not the alcohol coffee, but if you get the coffee and get the alcohol from the bar and surprise, surprise you have an alcohol coffee!! Call me a skinflint if you like but it works fine for me and you can have a very strong coffee instead. The message is use the package to your benefit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, however you're preaching to the choir with me.  I'm fully aware of the ways to finesse the beverage packages, as I've been on several Celebrity cruises in the many years since they were created.  I was answering a question as it was posed, as well as a follow up comment.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:48 PM, vtcruising said:

The huge, warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream is the best dessert - at the Lawn Club Grill. 😁

That dessert is really special.  We look forward  to that when we cruise a ship having the LCG. Other favorites are the creme brule and the chocolate mousse.  

The desserts at the Cafe look much better than they taste.   Most of them are available at times during the day at the buffet.   

I so wish that room service would deliver breakfast tea and treats from the cafe. One of my absolute favorite things to do on the cruise is to have breakfast out on the balcony. I guess I can just ask for it to go and bring it back to the room but that is asking a lot since it would require balance and pants.