Treats @ the coffee shop - Free..?

lasekeye

2 hours ago, Lilikins said:

I so wish that room service would deliver breakfast tea and treats from the cafe. One of my absolute favorite things to do on the cruise is to have breakfast out on the balcony. I guess I can just ask for it to go and bring it back to the room but that is asking a lot since it would require balance and pants.

It is funny, but I sneak down to Cafe al Bacio early some mornings and I have seen many singletons drag themselves down there before being totally put together in the morning (most are wearing pants 😉) and grab take out coffee and pastries for two to bring back to the cabin. I imagine they take turns, although a friend of our does it almost every day for his wife. He hangs out down there for a while and reads and then brings stuff up for her later, as she sleeps in until 9 or so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Just to add.....they also have gluten free offerings at Cafe Al Bacio! I really enjoy the gf macaroons. Sometimes they also have gf cookies, but either way they always have a gf offering.

The GF macroons are excellent, but I haven't seen them a lot lately.  Actually, I originally discovered them in the buffet.

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Lilikins,

It helps if you bring the little tray that is sitting under the ice bucket in your room -- no need for pockets, but some balance is still required.

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about smuggling a tray from the buffet but that sounds even better. There’s still the issue of putting on pants, but I think I can endure for the sake of all others 😆 

Glad to know I won’t be the only one trudging down looking less than 100% for breakfast munchies.

10 hours ago, cocobakerchica said:

Thank you, however you're preaching to the choir with me.  I'm fully aware of the ways to finesse the beverage packages, as I've been on several Celebrity cruises in the many years since they were created.  I was answering a question as it was posed, as well as a follow up comment.

1st Cruise for me- I have the classic beverage package. Is the 20% gratuity included, or do I end up paying that even when the drink is "free"? I'd love to know how you finesse the beverage package:). I'm a wine drinker but I'm guessing it never makes sense to order a full bottle if I can get glasses of wine 'free' up to a certain value? Thanks for any info here to make life easier for a solo 1st timer...( really hoping to enjoy my balcony with snacks, tea, and wine)!

11 minutes ago, TTOC55 said:

1st Cruise for me- I have the classic beverage package. Is the 20% gratuity included, or do I end up paying that even when the drink is "free"? I'd love to know how you finesse the beverage package:). I'm a wine drinker but I'm guessing it never makes sense to order a full bottle if I can get glasses of wine 'free' up to a certain value? Thanks for any info here to make life easier for a solo 1st timer...( really hoping to enjoy my balcony with snacks, tea, and wine)!

The gratuity  is included.  Order wine by the glass and tell the staff that you have the Classic Package (it will be imprinted on the card} .  If you choose a wine that is more expensive, you will pay the difference plus 20%.  We just ask servers for a type of wine that falls within the Classic Package.  

You could also bring a bottle or two of wine aboard.

Edited by keesar

1 minute ago, keesar said:

The gratuity  is included.  Order wine by the glass and tell the staff that you have the Classic Package (it will be imprinted on the card} .  If you choose a wine that is more expensive, you will pay the difference plus 20%.  We just ask servers for a type of wine that falls within the Classic Package.  

Thank you- that helps a lot!

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!  Quiet please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of Celebrity's best kept secrets.  Celebrity does not inform you anywhere, in writing or by word of mouth, that the treats at Cafe Al Bacio are free.

We especially love the chocolate mousse, which is only available a few times during the cruise, but we take a look every time we pass.

Note that what is available changes throughout the day for "morning" treats, "afternoon" treats, or "evening" treats.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, chefchick said:

I have been fooled before by thinking the pasties and cakes look some delicious on cruise ships only to be terribly disappointed at first bite (I’m looking at you Princess almond croissants).  So, for those of you with experience on X, which morning pastries and which afternoon/evening cakes are actual worth the calories?

Favorites?  How about the coffee?  And does it depend on which ship? (I will be sailing the Solstice). 

This is  so funny - the Almond croissants on the Crown Princess were incredible - and I ate one everyday.  The Almond croissants on the Sapphire - well I was looking at them but not eating - ick!!!!

The Celebrity pastries look delicious.

If you want your treat to go it is put in a small bag. They do not allow plates to leave the café. It gets a bit messy with some of the sliced cakes .

The afternoon  treats seem to be on a 3 day rotation

Maybe I should travel with some small paper plates

2 hours ago, keesar said:

@TTOC55 If you bring wine aboard with you(you're allowed 2 bottles) either bring your own corkscrew(or ask your room steward to bring you one along with the wine glasses.  Just be warned, if you take the bottles from your cabin with you to a restaurant to enjoy with a meal, you'll be subject to a corkage fee($35 the last time I checked).   

On 8/1/2019 at 7:48 PM, vtcruising said:

The huge, warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream is the best dessert - at the Lawn Club Grill. 😁

Agreed!  Also the chocolate sphere. 😁

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, vtcruising said:

They will give you them to go, if you wish. We sometimes take a dessert to our balcony for a treat before bed. 🙂

image.png.c29200bdd0655c7bd432264e3f09be70.png

Some morning treats:

I always stop by there on my towards my room at the end of the day for some late night snacks. I even now bring some Tupperware to keep them fresh.