Michael's/Retreat Lounge drinks?

39august

33 minutes ago, 39august said:

Is it correct that there are no blender drinks available, please? Can I get a chocolate martini or a lemon drop? Is champagne available?

They will make most anything for you if at all reasonable- but in some cases they need to go to another bar on board to accommodate your request. So it might take a few minutes.

I have seen them go to the bar next door for frozen drinks (with a smile). I think they may make the frozen drinks behind the closed door on the Edge since I did see one in the Retreat Lounge (or maybe was from the Retreat Pool Bar).

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Is it correct that there are no blender drinks available, please? Can I get a chocolate martini or a lemon drop? Is champagne available?

Yes!  I like a french Martini made with Chamboard.  The Bartender got it from another area of the ship and it was available daily for me!  My DH loves a chocolate Martini and also got those daily!  

Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic

5 hours ago, verizon said:

Hardly know what they are pouring in the closed door on Edge.😎

Yes, I like having a real bar that you can see. If they dont have a blender in the Retreat Lounge they can go up to the Retreat Pool Bar to get it made.

I can't tell you how many times I've found that drinks made behind closed doors are made with house liquor instead of what you ordered.  I've also found that when I've ordered drinks without alcohol....when it arrives, it has alcohol...they "forgot"....which isn't all that cute when one has medical reasons for that order.  Yes, that includes on celebrity ships where they used to mix the "elite happy hour" drinks behind closed doors.  If you really care about what you are ordering, you might do what I do....order from the bar where you can watch.  Sounds like that's hard to do on the Edge...I'll just add that to my growing list of why I don't want to sail on the edge....

21 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I can't tell you how many times I've found that drinks made behind closed doors are made with house liquor instead of what you ordered.  I've also found that when I've ordered drinks without alcohol....when it arrives, it has alcohol...they "forgot"....which isn't all that cute when one has medical reasons for that order.  Yes, that includes on celebrity ships where they used to mix the "elite happy hour" drinks behind closed doors.  If you really care about what you are ordering, you might do what I do....order from the bar where you can watch.  Sounds like that's hard to do on the Edge...I'll just add that to my growing list of why I don't want to sail on the edge....

Good point.

Have you all notice they never open a new bottle of Grey Goose or any other brands in front of you once the bottle is empty?

They always brought the bottles to behind closed door and not throwing the empty bottles to the trash cans. 

Edited by CAicruiser

18 hours ago, ghstudio said:

ghstudio, I can only say that at least in my experience sailing Edge (once), anything we ordered in the Retreat Lounge was authentic as far as I could tell even if it was made behind the wall.  I drink enough to know the difference! The only other case would be if you order a drink at dinner in the MDR or any dining venue - they go and make it elsewhere and bring it to you.  Same as restaurants on land.  Do you also mistrust those drinks?  We have been told that Apex will have a real bar in the Retreat Lounge so if you sail a suite on Apex you can watch them make your order if that is important to you.  

• Like 1

I hated not having a bar in the Retreat on Edge -- no chance to say "Oh, put another cherry in please" or "could you add another splash of soda to that while you are making it' or "what you are making looks good, what is it?"  == all the normal bar chatter.  When you travel alone, having a bartender to chat with is pleasant.  The Edge retreat fell way short, in my opinion, but at least it was never crowded -- the other bars were horrible.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

ghstudio, Do you also mistrust those drinks?  We have been told that Apex will have a real bar in the Retreat Lounge so if you sail a suite on Apex you can watch them make your order if that is important to you.  

For myself, while I prefer to order from the bar...I'm ok with ordering from a waiter....and I have occasionally found that I've been served the wrong scotch/bourbon based on taste.  It's also the little things that get lost...eg. bourbon with one ice cube or just very little ice.

For my DW who has medical restrictions, no, we don't order non-alcoholic mixed drinks (mocktails) from a waiter....only if one of us can watch them make it. 

19 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

Good point.

Have you all notice they never open a new bottle of Grey Goose or any other brands in front of you once the bottle is empty?

They always brought the bottles to behind closed door and not throwing the empty bottles to the trash cans. 

That was not my experience on the Edge.

I ordered Macallan whiskey from the Martini Bar. When the drink was delivered to me there were particles in it that shouldn’t have been there. I went up to the bartender and brought it to his attention. He was a little upset that he hadn’t noticed this when he poured my drink. He checked the open bottle and discovered that there was something else in there, immediately pulled up a new bottle from under the counter and opened it up in front of me.

26 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

For myself, while I prefer to order from the bar...I'm ok with ordering from a waiter....and I have occasionally found that I've been served the wrong scotch/bourbon based on taste.  It's also the little things that get lost...eg. bourbon with one ice cube or just very little ice.

For my DW who has medical restrictions, no, we don't order non-alcoholic mixed drinks (mocktails) from a waiter....only if one of us can watch them make it. 

You know what's horrible, order a Jack and coke and they give you diet coke, can always taste the difference.  Had this happen on ships, Atlantic City, Vegas and other places.   

On 8/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, George C said:

I was really impressed my micheals on summit last year and infinity this year , we did not care for the red wine they had, then they got us decoy Cabernet and had that stocked for rest of the week. 

George, it may seem that I am stalking you :classic_blush: I'm not really.  However, I'm loving a lot of your responses when it comes to the Summit!  From the beverage options to service to the Suite offerings.

Thanks!

• Like 1

39 august,

going back to your original post about blender drinks in Michaels, Is it possible that the NOISE of a blender would disturb the relaxing atmosphere at Michaels? Now that I know that there are no blender drinks there, it tends to make it a little more attractive to me for an after dinner drink.