Images from Ocean Cay

Beamafar

15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Sitting by the poor? Is that like sipping cocktails in the YC while looking down at the folks in steerage?
(I know you meant “pool” but the typo made me chuckle) emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate small screens and bad vision.  You rightfully surmised that I meant pool.  Having spent a week on The Allure with the fam last June, the pool areas on that ship did look like Calcutta on a 104 degree day.  

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think the person DCguy64 is referencing in the above post is NYmich. I believe there is someone who cancelled in 2017, 2018 and the 2 upcoming cruises in 2020. 

NYmich, off topic, but did you book with Fred Olsen for Polynesian trip? That's a bucket list for me too. Have a marvelous time (I'm sure you will) :).

We did not book on Fred Olson.   We got lucky and found a great cruise out of San Diego hitting Hawaii and then out to the FP Islands and then over to the Marquesas Islands and back to SD.   We booked Holland who we love for the BB Kings Blues Club and got a great deal because of our status obc etc.....  We did not want a smaller ship either as we like some action lol.  We also did not want to fly all the way out there and will only have to fly to SD and back.   I thought about Paul Gaugin but I did not want to fly that far and to pay that much money being off the ship all the time.  It made little sense to me.  In addition that is just too small for us.  We are planning it out now little by little.  It is quite a few ports (10) that we do not know much about! Thanks for the kind comments and yes it is great trip!  

As a bonus we did reschedule our MSC YC B2B on Seaside later in 2020 and this time we will be armed with all the great comments that everyone will make regarding Ocean Cay.  We love how that Island looks so far!

26 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Its hard to know when these photos were taken.   I wish that MSC would post updates on their OC progress.  I hope the November cruises get to go and enjoy.  The water looks amazing.

No communication at all from MSC so everyone is left to guess.

Ah yes, the old MSC guessing game because they are far too busy spouting off about Grandiosa and the other new ships to realise that people headed there from November 10th want to know what is going on.

Nice to see the pavillions going up

and the trees going in, the stone lining the shores to hold in the new beaches and the clearer water

They have done so much to reclaim and build this site. MSC was lied to by the previous owner and the Bahamian gov...so much more have to be done re trash/cleaning etc. It will be lovely when completed

The pictures posted today were taken 9/28. 

Fog- do you have a reference for the claim that MSc was lied to? I did pretty extensive research on oc a few years ago and I believe that the aggregate co who owned it after the pipeline corp did disclose that the island had toxic waste. Also, i believe that the marine preserve part of this operation was a stipulation dictated to MSc to appease the opposition to MSc building the island in the first place. 

Nymich- congrats on the Hal trip!! I’ve done the zuiderdam twice and it’s a great size/design. Post refit the addition of the music venues will be awesome. I have a cabin reserved on the westerdam to SA and Antarctica.  It’s hard to beat HAL itineraries- their port times are typically spectacular. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The pictures posted today were taken 9/28. 

Fog- do you have a reference for the claim that MSc was lied to? I did pretty extensive research on oc a few years ago and I believe that the aggregate co who owned it after the pipeline corp did disclose that the island had toxic waste. Also, i believe that the marine preserve part of this operation was a stipulation dictated to MSc to appease the opposition to MSc building the island in the first place. 

It was in articles/commentary from MSC --- discussing the extent of clean up was far more than they were led to believe

I think I posted those links/articles months ago here on CC 

23 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

It was in articles/commentary from MSC --- discussing the extent of clean up was far more than they were led to believe

I think I posted those links/articles months ago here on CC 

Thanks- i don’t remember seeing it. I’ll dig through your posts and try to find the article, but I rarely pay much attention to corporate speech. 

Hello Everyone...  Sorry, newbie to MSC here.  Heading out in Jan.  Couple quick questions.... Also forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find it on CC.  Is the ship drink package going to work on the island?  Only asking because I see in the cruise planner that they have drink packages that say ocean cay.  Didn't know if this was needed on top of the premium package or not?  Also, our status match from RCCL got us black status on MSC.  Is that going to be worth anything haha?  Thanks for the info in advance!!!

Its looking pretty far along in the photos, the scaffolding around buildings can make it look a lot less finished than it is, when that comes down it will make a big difference, looks like external cladding on some of the buildings etc to be done, that is very quick to do. I would be very surprised if it was not open on time, I am not saying it will be perfect by any means though...….

In the meantime photos of the light house changing colour on MSC facebook page look amazing.

Cannot wait for Christmas when I will be there.

49 minutes ago, Serial Tequila said:

Its looking pretty far along in the photos, the scaffolding around buildings can make it look a lot less finished than it is, when that comes down it will make a big difference, looks like external cladding on some of the buildings etc to be done, that is very quick to do. I would be very surprised if it was not open on time, I am not saying it will be perfect by any means though...….

In the meantime photos of the light house changing colour on MSC facebook page look amazing.

Cannot wait for Christmas when I will be there.

Right! Your average cruise passenger might not know that the majority of time, these construction projects are 90% infrastructure and  10% buildings. Especially when you’re dealing with a cruise port designed for daily use (vs one where people stay overnight or for extended periods). I’d guess it will take them less than a month to put the finishing touches on. Of course, there’s likely to be more work done over the next few months, but I’m willing to bet the majority of work will be done in time for opening day. 

1 hour ago, EMc&DrS said:

MSC has a ticker counting down to the opening of Ocean Cay now posted on their website.  That's an encouraging sign. As of this morning it says 29 days, 12 hours, and 58 minutes to be exact.

If they just put the ticker up that is very positive news. 

Has everyone seen the interview with the Bahama Press? I believe it was done 4 days ago. MSC referred to the November date as a 'soft opening'. That is the first I've heard that term being used. 

• Like 1

If they just put the ticker up that is very positive news. 

Has everyone seen the interview with the Bahama Press? I believe it was done 4 days ago. MSC referred to the November date as a 'soft opening'. That is the first I've heard that term being used. 

Personally, I think that’s very wise of MSC. I hear that term a lot in retail to denote a case where an establishment is open for business but not every “i” has been dotted nor every “t” crossed. It helps to tamp down expectations that absolutely everything will be ready to go on Day 1.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Personally, I think that’s very wise of MSC. I hear that term a lot in retail to denote a case where an establishment is open for business but not every “i” has been dotted nor every “t” crossed. It helps to tamp down expectations that absolutely everything will be ready to go on Day 1.

I think MSC should have listed the opening as a 'soft opening' for the last few years BEFORE people booked, instead of adding it right now after people have paid in full, but I'm much harder on MSC as a corporation than you are :).

• Like 1

The ticker has been up for a few weeks if I recall correctly

Soft openings are a common phrase...

We know the YC part of the OC won't be finished til spring/early summer next year as thats been documented her on CC months ago

IN a matter of a few weeks we will have the first pax posted pics

Hoping the best for MSC and the OC

Looking fwd to the Nat Geo documentary... on how OC was recovered/restored and the work on the stone/reefs etc has already brought about beautiful water, lobsters and so on... the "lab" there to grow corals etc... all very nice

2 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Looking fwd to the Nat Geo documentary... on how OC was recovered/restored and the work on the stone/reefs etc has already brought about beautiful water, lobsters and so on... the "lab" there to grow corals etc... all very nice

Me too!! I've been super interested in this island for several years! 

• Like 1

I think MSC should have listed the opening as a 'soft opening' for the last few years BEFORE people booked, instead of adding it right now after people have paid in full, but I'm much harder on MSC as a corporation than you are :).

Haha, it’s not just MSC: I work in an industry where if you promise a product by a certain date & you can’t deliver, people complain. If you tell them after the fact that you knew you’d be late, they say you should’ve given advance notice. If you DO give advance notice, they complain that you should’ve delivered on time. So you’re going to get complaints basically no matter what! [emoji2369]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Haha, it’s not just MSC: I work in an industry where if you promise a product by a certain date & you can’t deliver, people complain. If you tell them after the fact that you knew you’d be late, they say you should’ve given advance notice. If you DO give advance notice, they complain that you should’ve delivered on time. So you’re going to get complaints basically no matter what! emoji2369.png

This is exactly why I think MSC should have said "soft opening November 9th" from the beginning and given the people fair warning that the island may not be 100% complete. I am always a fan of information for the consumer and error on that side. We own a company, and error on the side of giving the consumer too much information each and every time. Our customers appreciate our candor and our company reviews are significantly better than MSC's. ;-).

Since opening an island will always have a brief period of 'figuring things out', stating soft opening from the beginning gives MSC infinite room for error and covers their bases.   Of course, savvy travelers already knew to expect a soft opening, but certainly inexperienced travelers could have been informed in a more timely fashion so they can make the best personal decision.