How to remember Port & Starboard

ALWAYS CRUZIN

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Fore, aft, port, starboard, it dopes not reference the way your are facing. has nothing to do with it. Same with any vehicle. The front of your car is always the front no matter which way your are facing.

Any vehicle?  What about a double ended diesel railway locomotive? The front seems to be at the direction of travel.

Regards John

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

156 posts on this subject?  Answer is simple - port is on the left side and starboard is on the right side.

DON

Whilst this is true Don we need a system of some sort to remember this.  When you look out of a port side balcony the sea goes right to left. When you look out of a starboard side balcony the sea goes left to right.  So the acronyms are P SGRTL and starboard S SGLTR.

I am working on acronyms for when the ship is docked but you have got to admit it, we are getting there on this problem.

Regards John

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Whilst this is true Don we need a system of some sort to remember this.  When you look out of a port side balcony the sea goes right to left. When you look out of a starboard side balcony the sea goes left to right.  So the acronyms are P SGRTL and starboard S SGLTR.

I am working on acronyms for when the ship is docked but you have got to admit it, we are getting there on this problem.

Regards John

To add to this absurdly long thread, we need to consider whether we are looking at port and starboard in absolute or relativistic terms.  In other words, a) does starboard remain the same whether the ship a universe of its own or b) do we have to look at the ship as part of the whole external universe in which it exists.

If a) starboard remains starboard regardless of whether the ship is moving or not and also independently of what direct direction the ship is moving in.

If b) the side of the ship changes constantly depending upon which direction the ship is moving.  If the ship reverses course and starts going backwards, the side of the ship that used to be starboard is now the port side.  If the ship moves sideways as ship can do, the side of the ship the used to be the bow may now be the starboard or port depending upon which sideways direction the ship is moving.  

One can hypothesize a lot of other possible relativistic starboard - port scenarios but I will bet that the OP did not realize the significant philosophical implications of his apparently simple question.  Perhaps this question should be reposted in the Philosophical Review or one of the many other philosophical journals.

I realize that this whole response is ridiculous but it does show that some apparently simple questions are not as simple as they seem.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

6 hours ago, matt1 said:

Easiest way to remember is that PORT and LEFT have the same number of letters.

😎

This does not really work when you examine the problem holistically because right has five letters and starboard has nine letters.  I am still working on this conundrum where the P SGRTL and S SGLTR do not work because the ship is berthed.    🥳

On 8/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You must have missed my first thread and then I did a second one on this simple bit of information. I go nailed left and right. No pun intended. It got so bad I had Cruise critic remove one and then the other. Now I just did the Port and Starboard and sill stupid information. Why can't people just leave dumb remarks to them selves?

The mods here are unexpectedly lenient; they allow quite a bit of banter and playful ribbing.  I myself had a field day with someone who asked about "couples' messages" [massages], and the mods allowed that post to remain.  The only thing mods here are uptight about are Covid posts; you'll get dinged for those big time!

As for "port" and "starboard", go by this.  "Port" and "left" both have four letters; "starboard" is the other one.  Of course, it won't help that "port" used to be called "larboard" centuries ago; it was changed because they were too phonetically similar, which made it hard to communicate clearly when captains and shoremen shouted back and forth while the ships docked.

Some posting are all in fun and not to be taken seriously

This is the friendly relationships one develops on Cruise Critics.

Also how one uses there thought pattern to remember something or relationship  with words.

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Also how one uses their thought pattern to remember something or relationship  with words.

These, if you develop a verbal system using initials to create a memorable word or group of letters I believe are known as mnemonics. The favourite word in my phonetic alphabet.

Regards John

46 minutes ago, john watson said:

These, if you develop a verbal system using initials to create a memorable word or group of letters I believe are known as mnemonics. The favourite word in my phonetic alphabet.

Regards John

Sorry funny but true, I remember Port and Starboard by the words Power Steering. 

Wear a ruby ring on your left hand and an emerald ring on your right hand, and carry a piece of paper with you at all times stating that: “when facing the bow, port is on your left and starboard is on your right” — or, perhaps, “when looking off to the right of the ship, the pointy end of the ship will be to your left”.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Port starts with P and starboard starts with S.  Problem solved! 

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2021 at 8:47 AM, broberts said:

Everybody appears to say "port and starboard". I don't recall ever hearing or reading "starboard and port". As a left to right reading culture one can simply remember that the left most word, port, is on the left.

We then come to the question of how people in right to left cultures (Hebrew) or Chinese which is either left to right or top to bottom (English is written exclusively from left to right, while Chinese in Mainland China is written primarily from left to right, with some texts still written top to bottom.) should handle this problem.

DON

39 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

We then come to the question of how people in right to left cultures (Hebrew) or Chinese which is either left to right or top to bottom (English is written exclusively from left to right, while Chinese in Mainland China is written primarily from left to right, with some texts still written top to bottom.) should handle this problem.

DON

I don't think non left-to-right cultures use port and starboard. In fact I doubt the terms are used in any other language.

Edited by broberts