How to remember Port & Starboard

ALWAYS CRUZIN

1 hour ago, broberts said:

No. A significannt reason for retaining port and starboard is they convey the orientation of the vessel along with the side.

I was being somewhat facetious about the fact that we have a 130 post thread about how to remember what is port and starboard.  I wasn't being serious.

DON

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I was being somewhat facetious about the fact that we have a 130 post thread about how to remember what is port and starboard.  I wasn't being serious.

DON

Smilies are your friends. 😁

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Fore, aft, port, starboard, it dopes not reference the way your are facing. has nothing to do with it. Same with any vehicle. The front of your car is always the front no matter which way your are facing.

But if I'm facing my front towards the rear then my rear is towards the front.  🤔

And, we haven't even started exploring compass points yet!  haha.   

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who plays FFXIV the whole starboard and larboard lingo has given me PTSD 😭

Port being 4 letters, same as Left, helps a ton. Also, larboard starts with an L, like left. Aft and bow always seemed easy to remember.

Edited by sergel02

1 hour ago, sergel02 said:

Aft and bow always seemed easy to remember.

Except that "bow" is a location on the ship, and "aft" is a direction.  "Bow" and "Stern" are the two ends of a ship.  "Forward" and "aft" are directions that you move on a ship, or adjectives to describe locations relative to each's position on the ship.

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Except that "bow" is a location on the ship, and "aft" is a direction.  "Bow" and "Stern" are the two ends of a ship.  "Forward" and "aft" are directions that you move on a ship, or adjectives to describe locations relative to each's position on the ship.

We could get into "abaft" and "athwart". 😉

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Hmm I’ve seen ships name the back the aft, but is it just meaning that you’re heading aft of the ship while you head to the stern?

Hmm I’ve seen ships name the back the aft, but is it just meaning that you’re heading aft of the ship while you head to the stern?

Really?  I spent a lot of time on ships and never heard the expression 'the aft'.  Also, you don't head aft of the ship, that construction is simply not used.  When a person says.... I'm going aft, it's understood they are making their way towards the stern.  It's not necessary that they go all the way to the stern, just in that general direction relative to where they start from.

You wouldn't be strangling the vocabulary just for mischief would you?

Edited by d9704011

Please give an example of this.  Cruise Critic is the only place I've seen people refer to the stern of a ship as "the aft", or "show me your aft".  "Aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun.  There may be areas of the ship called the "aft restaurant", or the "aft stairs", but again, "aft" is the adjective describing the noun, and referring to a relative location of the stairs in regards to other stairs.

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You wouldn't be strangling the vocabulary just for mischief would you?

Nope. If I truly wanted to be mischievous there would be more fun ways to do it.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Please give an example of this.  Cruise Critic is the only place I've seen people refer to the stern of a ship as "the aft", or "show me your aft".  "Aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun.  There may be areas of the ship called the "aft restaurant", or the "aft stairs", but again, "aft" is the adjective describing the noun, and referring to a relative location of the stairs in regards to other stairs.

Maybe one reason it confused me is when booking staterooms. 
Not sure if the links will work, but when I booked a random room on Royal Caribbean’s site, it breaks the sections to Aft, Midship, and Foward. Those are referring to the directions you’re heading, and it makes sense if I actually say it aloud. Like I would say “my cabin is midship”, not really that “my cabin is in the midship”, so it makes sense to say “my cabin is aft” and not in “the aft” 

But it’s not so odd that others may get confused like me lol.

Doesn’t help that different cruise lines label them differently on their sites. Carnival just lists them as Back, Middle, and Foward

I’ve heard youtubers refer to places as “the aft” Like at 1:50 here but maybe they’re cruise critic users too haha 

I did stumble upon this pic though which helps.

7SRVZEV.gif

Edited by sergel02

4 hours ago, sergel02 said:

Not sure if the links will work, but when I booked a random room on Royal Caribbean’s site, it breaks the sections to Aft, Midship, and Foward. Those are referring to the directions you’re heading, and it makes sense if I actually say it aloud. Like I would say “my cabin is midship”, not really that “my cabin is in the midship”, so it makes sense to say “my cabin is aft” and not in “the aft” 

The descriptions of cabins as "aft, midship, and forward" are the other definition of those terms, not a direction (adverb modifying the verb "to go"), but the adjective, signifying the location with respect to other cabins.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that Port and Starboard in to fashions.

Port is Left

Starboard is Right

Also I remember it this way.

Power Steering........ P first Port and S is second Starboard....... Power (Port) - Steering (Starboard)..

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Port is Left

Starboard is Right

Power Steering........ P first Port and S is second Starboard....... Power (Port) - Steering (Starboard)..

WHAT?????   Why not an easy one - perhaps something like:

Near the PORT of Los Angeles there is a place called Hollywood  where there is group of people - known as a BOARD  who select actors to win awards - each actor selected becomes known as a STAR -- so that group of people gets called the STARBOARD,   Now all you have to do is remember  that Port is on your left as you face the bow and Starboard is on your right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iancal said:

Seems to me that understanding the terms  port, starboard, etc. is not such a mentally challenging exercise that one has to make up dittos to remember it.

How does understanding terms have anything to do with knowing the correct labels?

I understand the periodic table but have never been able to memorize even the first few elements.

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

How does understanding terms have anything to do with knowing the correct labels?

I understand the periodic table but have never been able to memorize even the first few elements.

I'm sure you remember though, that Hydrogen and the Alkali Metals are often depicted on the left-hand (port) side of the Perodic Table and the Noble Gases on the right-hand side (starboard).

Edited by d9704011
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Port is Left

Starboard is Right

TOOOO difficult. Port, 4 letters. Left, 4 letters. Port wine RED (The color of the light on the port side) so easy. Done.