John Heald back again as Cruise Director on certain cruises!

BeakerR

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I will never understand why so many people are fascinated by him.

I've been following him on FB for many years and enjoy his humor.  If, as you said he is a nice enough guy, I thought it would be cool to meet him sometime. I'm not Diamond and several cruises from Platinum.  That makes no difference to me.  I don't recall seeing him attacking D&P's any time in the recent past, though.  I have seen him tease back at some folks who attack him with true nastiness on his visitor's posts, regardless of their "status".  But no matter how nasty those posts are, he most often replies with humor and tries to address the "issue" at hand.  I give him credit for this.  Not asking anyone else to.     

• Like 8

Doesn't sound like he is going to be the cruise director on these sailings, he is just going to be on them.  We were on his third bloggers cruise on the Dream.  Does he still do the blog?  Haven't been on Carnival for a few years so haven't paid much attention, I do check out the Facebook page now and then. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CorvetteLady said:

Doesn't sound like he is going to be the cruise director on these sailings, he is just going to be on them.  We were on his third bloggers cruise on the Dream.  Does he still do the blog?  Haven't been on Carnival for a few years so haven't paid much attention, I do check out the Facebook page now and then. 

He does not blog anymore sticks to fb. Interesting fellow. 

I get tired of listening to him babble on and on about "the suits" say this and that.  He's actually hard to understand sometimes. I think he gets 90% of his info from these boards. You see a topic, then see it on his page.Which really isnt a big deal, but he should just join the conversation on these boards. Does anyone know if other cruise lines have a guy like JH (Ambassador of cruising) representing them? I never really heard of other lines having someone like that.

John is actually a pretty nice guy.  His position is unique in the industry and he has the largest followed travel blog site on the net. He gets bashed from some from here and on Facebook (refugees from here) way more (as in exponential) then he gives.  These people taught and feed his FB page with false statements and fake posts.  

I have never seen him take real people to task or Diamonds or Plats.   For those who do not understand the draw, sail with him and you will find out.  Him being a CD (a guest one I would guess, I would be surprised if the regular CD is not active as well), is head scratching.  He has family obligations back in England and had been dwindling down his physical appearances.  He is not only the company spokesperson, he typically MC’s all Carnival media and news events.  He has probably done more for Carnival cruising than anyone with the exception of Bob Dickinson (I am sure this remark will draw some comments). He actually is a treasure that we all should enjoy before he sails off into the sunset. 

• Like 10

Hi John! I do appreciate the info, advance notice, and clarity he can give.  I also appreciate his questioning and polling; I think they have some bearing with decisions at "the mothership."  It's very useful to have such a direct pipeline between your customer base and corporate. I just skip over the pot stirring.  I wouldn't book a cruise because he's on it, but it would be kind of interesting to sail with him.  

• Like 1

Looks like we'll see him on the Magic (10-20-19). Strangely, we never really pay much attention to whatever CD is on our cruise, unless they are annoying - we've seen a couple of those. It will be interesting to see if we even get a glimpse of him.

Phew! I looked down the list of dates first, saw our cruise date, and my heart sank. Then looked at the ship. Thankfully, it's not our cruise. I have no desire to have this man as our CD, or a part of the cruise in any way.

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I will never understand why so many people are fascinated by him. I have talked to him a few times and he is a nice enough guy. But he frequently exaggerates issues or stirs the pot (he loves attacking Diamonds & Platinums) on his Facebook page and it is hilarious how many lemmings there are who think he can do no wrong. 

Fascinated by him is an understatement. I don't get why he's treated like a rock star. Unfortunately, anytime anything negative is said about him, the posts/threads get the axe. Which I don't understand, considering he's always talking trash about CC. I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already alerted him to this thread on his fb. He's made rude, unprovoked comments about passengers in his videos and posts on multiple occasions. And no, there's nothing humorous about it, as someone said. Not to mention the fact that he's always bashing CC users, yet he uses this forum to fill his fb full of content. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if he has an incognito account here. His fans sure do work overtime to keep him apprised of what's said on here. I think it's highly unprofessional and uncalled for when someone, who's supposed to be the liaison between company and customer, attacks those very customers. And no, not all of it is merely him defending himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I guess the rumors that he would be on our Legend TA were premature...EM

Guessing that some of the ships and dates were picked to boost bookings on sailings that were not booking well.  The Legend TA is fully booked with a waiting list.  I think that if it were up to John, he would prefer to be on the Legend TA and following Norway cruise.

A question, I have been contemplating for a long time.

Did John Heald come from another cruise line as a Cruise Director to Carnival as a Cruise Director?  This would have been years ago.  Then over the years he has evolved into a brand ambassador/spokesman for Carnival.

If so which line?

6 minutes ago, gatour said:

Did John Heald come from another cruise line as a Cruise Director to Carnival as a Cruise Director?  This would have been years ago.  Then over the years he has evolved into a brand ambassador/spokesman for Carnival.

If so which line?

No

10 minutes ago, gatour said:

If so which line?

Read here.  Google is your friend 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Heald

We sailed the Elation in the 90's and he was our CD. With 15 cruises under my belt, I only remember 3 that had any impact on our cruise. John was by far the best and most engaging CD we have ever sailed with. He did a bit called the "Bedtime Story" might have been the funniest routines. 

I follow him and watch some of his Facebook live shows.  They are great.

But, honestly, I've been on 8 cruises and I couldn't tell you who the cruise director was on any of them.

The CD does not make a bit of difference unless you are one of those people that just HAS to know the CD, and, HAS to know the name of every bartender, and, HAS to know the name of every cabin attendant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

If so which line?

No according to his bio he started working on Carnival ships as a wine steward... he morphed into cruise director for many years then became brand ambassador.

3 hours ago, Bob NC said:

I follow him and watch some of his Facebook live shows.  They are great.

But, honestly, I've been on 8 cruises and I couldn't tell you who the cruise director was on any of them.

The CD does not make a bit of difference unless you are one of those people that just HAS to know the CD, and, HAS to know the name of every bartender, and, HAS to know the name of every cabin attendant.

I completely disagree with your comment with the caveat the CD only makes a big difference if you attend the countless shows, atrium parties, deck parties , etc. that a CD hosts every cruise. If you don’t attend any of these events, than I agree it doesn’t matter who the CD is on your cruise.

But if you are like us and usually attend at least one event per day hosted by the CD, it can make a big difference. We have never had a bad CD on Carnival, but there are several CDs who are significantly better than others. A top notch CD can make a good atrium party or good Carnival Quest great. 

I’ve had the good fortune of being on 3 cruises with John when he was a CD. He was fantastic, friendly and funny as hell. Especially when Wee Jimmy was his assistant CD.

Now I follow him on Facebook and he’s still funny as hell, very informative and will answer pretty much every question he receives. His Facebook live videos when he’s on a ship are great. 

No no other cruise line could ever duplicate John or what he provides carnival cruisers.