The upgrade fairy visited! Advice needed re:balcony cabin.

alli7784

I'm traveling with my husband, my parents, and another couple. We all have several cruises under our belts - my parents and I are all platinum. But. We have always sailed in interior cabins because we never spend much time in there anyway. The upgrade fairy came and gifted both my parents and my husband and me with balcony cabins! I'm excited, but know that there might be some things that I need to know. So, any advice specific to balcony cabins would be much appreciated - what to bring, tips and tricks, etc! 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alli7784 said:

I'm traveling with my husband, my parents, and another couple. We all have several cruises under our belts - my parents and I are all platinum. But. We have always sailed in interior cabins because we never spend much time in there anyway. The upgrade fairy came and gifted both my parents and my husband and me with balcony cabins! I'm excited, but know that there might be some things that I need to know. So, any advice specific to balcony cabins would be much appreciated - what to bring, tips and tricks, etc! 

Thanks in advance! 

How much money you will pay for the up sell?

47 minutes ago, alli7784 said:

Thanks in advance! 

Congrats on the upgrade.  😎

• Thanks 1

Not everyone has problems with inside cabins. We went from balcony cabins for our first few cruises to insides and have had them ever since. We could not justify the extra cost when you consider how long you spend in the cabin anyway. We have never regretted the decision. Yes, though, I would take a balcony offer if it was a freebie or a great upsell offer too good to be refused.

The bathroom and closet area of balcony cabins is identical to inside cabins. The sleeping area is larger but similar to inside cabins. 

We often book inside cabins but have been upgraded or booked balcony cabins when the price is right. Going back and forth hasn't been a problem especially when I see the prices for balconies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

alli7784

What ship will you be on ?

The ships of the Royal class, ncluding the Royal Princess,the Regal, the Majestic and the newest ship, the Sky Princess ,all have rather small balconies.

Not saying this to disappoint you,but be aware of the square footage. 

On the Regal Princess, my DH and I had to sit facing each other instead of having the chairs facing the railing and the sea so we could fit on the balcony. ( We are not very large people).

On the Grand Class ships,the Crown,Ruby,Sapphire and Caribbean to name a few,the balconies are significantly larger especially those on Caribe deck.

Regardless of the size, the balcony is great to see and hear the sea, and watch the stars at night.  My DH and I have enjoyed many room service breakfasts on the balcony as well as late night snacks. 

If you have a cabin next door to your parents, if you wish,you could ask your steward to open the divider between your balconies so that you share a more expansive balcony .

Keep in mind that balcony doors should not be left open per the notice posted near the door. Also closing the balcony door quietly is appreciated by those in the cabins in your area.

Bon voyage !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats. You'll love it!! Wheres the sailing headed? If it's Caribbean or Europe or Alaska, you will fall in love with the views. 

I'm happy for you. It will be tough to go back to interior. The rooms are a bit larger and more spacious.  It's amazing how much time one can spend on the balcony just watching the ocean go by. All of the sun rises and sunsets you'll now get. You're going to have a blast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joybook said:

Not everyone has problems with inside cabins. We went from balcony cabins for our first few cruises to insides and have had them ever since. We could not justify the extra cost when you consider how long you spend in the cabin anyway. We have never regretted the decision. Yes, though, I would take a balcony offer if it was a freebie or a great upsell offer too good to be refused.

For me, I had issues with an inside cabin.  First cruise  I booked was an inside.  It was my first and last time booking an inside.  With  30 + cruises, never again.  Made me claustrophobic, and like I was in a sensory deprivation room.  Or in a large coffin.  Or in solitary confinement.  😱  Always dark, no sense of time.  JMO.

The cost savings between an inside and balcony, or above, is not an issue for me.   Life is short.  YMMV.  😃

12 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

How much money you will pay for the up sell?

Not a thing. Got an email that we had gotten an upgrade. I went online to see and they'd moved both couples into neighboring balcony cabins! They actually then moved us again into balcony cabins in a better location! 

I've gotten upsell offers several times before, but never a flat out upgrade and certainly not one this big!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MJSailors said:

alli7784

What ship will you be on ?

The ships of the Royal class, ncluding the Royal Princess,the Regal, the Majestic and the newest ship, the Sky Princess ,all have rather small balconies.

Not saying this to disappoint you,but be aware of the square footage. 

On the Regal Princess, my DH and I had to sit facing each other instead of having the chairs facing the railing and the sea so we could fit on the balcony. ( We are not very large people).

On the Grand Class ships,the Crown,Ruby,Sapphire and Caribbean to name a few,the balconies are significantly larger especially those on Caribe deck.

Regardless of the size, the balcony is great to see and hear the sea, and watch the stars at night.  My DH and I have enjoyed many room service breakfasts on the balcony as well as late night snacks. 

If you have a cabin next door to your parents, if you wish,you could ask your steward to open the divider between your balconies so that you share a more expansive balcony .

Keep in mind that balcony doors should not be left open per the notice posted near the door. Also closing the balcony door quietly is appreciated by those in the cabins in your area.

Bon voyage !

It's the Regal. I know they're small - I'd probably NEVER pay for a balcony cabin, especially on a Royal class ship, but will certainly take it if it's given! I won't feel shortchanged because I wasn't expecting it and didn't pay for it, but it will be nice to be able to see out.

I probably won't ask for the connecting door to be opened - my mom is a super nosey neighbor! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, FloaterBoat said:

Congrats. You'll love it!! Wheres the sailing headed? If it's Caribbean or Europe or Alaska, you will fall in love with the views. 

I'm happy for you. It will be tough to go back to interior. The rooms are a bit larger and more spacious.  It's amazing how much time one can spend on the balcony just watching the ocean go by. All of the sun rises and sunsets you'll now get. You're going to have a blast. 

Thank you! It's actually the Regal's repo out of NYC down to the Caribbean and back to Ft. Lauderdale. Probably the best one to get a surprise balcony gift since there are six sea days! My dad is excited about the sunset photo opportunities and only asked to make sure it was a starboard cabin!

I'll be fine going back to an interior - I'd rather cruise in an interior than not at all! My mom, however, will be spoiled, but they can afford the balconies if they want them! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

For me, I had issues with an inside cabin.  First cruise  I booked was an inside.  It was my first and last time booking an inside.  With  30 + cruises, never again.  Made me claustrophobic, and like I was in a sensory deprivation room.  Or in a large coffin.  Or in solitary confinement.  😱  Always dark, no sense of time.  JMO.

The cost savings between an inside and balcony, or above, is not an issue for me.   Life is short.  YMMV.  😃

We've sailed in inside cabins lots of times. That's some of the best sleep I've ever had! One of the things I love is the ability to totally lose track of time. But I am looking forward to experiencing the balcony, even if it's a one-time thing for me!

13 hours ago, alli7784 said:

Thanks in advance! 

Hi,

We are on the same cruise.  Here is a link to the Roll Call.  A lot of things are planned on the roll call.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2544290-regal-princess-october-31-2019/

Enjoy your balcony.  Check the deck plan, there are some balconies that are larger on deck 8.  Maybe your might be one.  Enjoy and see you on board.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Thanks 1

This from MJSailors: 

Other than that tip, insides aren't that much different than balconies. A touch more room and a great big "window".

You don't need to do or bring anything that you don't usually bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats!!!!!! Free upgrades are the best!!! On my upcoming Thanksgiving regal cruise I gave booked an inside. 1 week later the balcony cabin came out much cheaper than the inside. Same deck. Same midship location. Totally took the cabin upgrade change. I call that me being my own upgrade fairy! Good thing I always check the promotions and pricing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alli7784 said:

The Regal's repo cruise sailing out of NYC on 10/31. Good luck! 😊

I personally love balconies and I don’t care what the weather is. However, the time of  year you are going, be prepared for cooler weather the first few days leaving out of NY.  It sometimes makes it hard to enjoy the balcony for some. I love the fresh air. After the first few days it won’t be a problem.   Enjoy your cruise and congratulations!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alli7784 said:

So, any advice specific to balcony cabins would be much appreciated - what to bring, tips and tricks, etc! 

If you don't have them already, bring some Towel Clips. They clip the towel onto the deck chair. 

If you leave stuff discreetly on the balcony to dry during the day, make sure you bring them in at night, or they will get damp overnight.

• Like 1

alli7784

My DH and I took that repositioning cruise three years ago. We enjoyed it very much!   Now that I think about it,we were given an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite for that cruise. I do like the Regal  class mini suites because they have a curtain that can be drawn to separate the bed from the sitting area. Good when one of us wants to nap while the other is reading or watching a movie on low volume.

I think that it is great you have a balcony to watch the NYC sailaway. Hoping you did get starboard cabins because you will have a view of lower Manhattan skyline, the Brooklyn bridge to the North and once underway,you will see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty  before sailing  under the Verrazano Bridge out of the harbor to the open sea. I may be a bit predudiced,but as a native of NYC, I think the sailaway is one of the best in the world!

I do understand about not opening up your balconies. I thought that it might not be the best suggestion considering a privacy issue! 😉

I do hope you and your family enjoys the cruise!

Enjoy the balcony cabin. Perhaps you will return to CC to report your experiences on the cruise.

Bon Voyage !🛳

I think you'll love it. Having a balcony isn't just about how much time you actually spend on it. It's just nice to have the access to it, sometimes just the "visual access" to the outdoors. A balcony cabin, with its two big glass doors, makes the room brighter and the whole world feel bigger and more within reach.

We took this same cruise last year and, even with the Regal's smaller balconies, found that all those sea days meant added appreciation of the balcony. Enjoy your cruise.

Jim

• Like 2