Still don't see why I should use a TA...

MandyMooToo

44 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

TA is totally YMMV, to be honest you think TA come from the the a deeply trained and highly intelligent pool?  

Well...I just happened to have owned and operated a travel agency for a number of years, among other businesses. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in mathematics and took very early retirement from my management job in a giant insurance company with  billions in assets where I had worked for many years as an actuary, systems manager, and immediately prior to retirement, head of strategic planning.

You think you're more highly trained, educated and intelligent than I am? 

By the way the president of the travel agency where I currently book most of my cruises has many years of experience in web development and network administration. That good enough for you in intelligence and training ?

Maybe you ought to pause and think before you make broad-brush statements disparaging people you don't know.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Well...I just happened to have owned and operated a travel agency for a number of years, among other businesses. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in mathematics and took very early retirement from my management job in a giant insurance company with  billions in assets where I had worked for many years as an actuary, systems manager, and immediately prior to retirement, head of strategic planning.

By the way the president of the travel agency where I currently book most of my cruises has many years of experience in web development and network administration. That good enough for you in intelligence and training ?

Maybe you ought to pause and think before you make broad-brush statements disparaging people you don't know.

So sensitive, funny how that is... don't need to say anything else.  I'm sure all TAs are equally trained in set theory and such abstraction.  You represent the norm or the outlier, very interested actually what the majority of them are you medium, or 3 sigma or 6 sigma?  BTW is it for insecurity or need to show something you need to add your whole Bio here 😉

Since you rose to the top, my statement still stands, smart at the top, but the TAs in general haven't every impressed me.  Don't get me wrong, hardworking and great intentions, all good.  

On a serious note, what attracted you do do Math and then move to TA, that other stuff sounded like it might be fun, or a totally drag depending on the company culture 

Edited by chipmaster

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

So sensitive, funny how that is... don't need to say anything else.  I'm sure all TAs are equally trained in set theory and such abstraction.  You represent the norm or the outlier, very interested actually what the majority of them are you medium, or 3 sigma or 6 sigma?  BTW is it for insecurity or need to show something you need to add your whole Bio here 😉

Since you rose to the top, my statement still stands, smart at the top, but the TAs in general haven't every impressed me.  Don't get me wrong, hardworking and great intentions, all good.  

On a serious note, what attracted you do do Math and then move to TA, that other stuff sounded like it might be fun, or a totally drag depending on the company culture 

I have little tolerance of people who think they're so high and mighty that they can look at down their nose at someone else because of the line of work they're doing.  Congratulations, you won today's prize. Next time you get smacked upside the head for making a judgmental stereotyped statement about a group of people you might want to consider the possibility of a little contrition in your reply going a long way toward making amends for what you said.

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Aha, I see that we have something in common,sort of. I majored in Psychology and got a job with the only company in the US that had an Industrial Psychology department.It happened to be one of the giants in the health insurance industry.I spent 38 years working in insurance doing everything that you could imagine.I was able to incorporate my psychology background into the job.I minored in Sociology and English which helped me with the job as well.When I retired I was the number 3 person in the company.

I was 55 and went to work for an Advertising Promotions firm and when I left I was the Vice-President. 

I have a doctorate in Theology but never went into that field. While employed by the insurance company I wrote manuals and developed job evaluation studies.In my spare time I wrote poetry,short stories,plays,a TV show and a book .I left the advertising company because the President relocated the company to NJ and I could not do the commute.

Aside from posting probably on CC I play 54 games a day of Words With Friends on line .Many of my opponents are CC regulars.It keeps my mind sharp .

Math was my worst subject in college but I still managed to graduate with a 3.59 GPA from one of the top colleges in NYC.

I was on the college debating team and still enjoy a friendly debate today.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I would have never guessed .:classic_biggrin:

By the way, my wife is a retired clinical psychologist.

I had a cousin who was a clinical psychologist who was still working into his 90’s.He was my inspiration to study psychology.

When I took a class in Abnormal Psych all of the students were invited to a lecture at Brooklyn State Hospital by the Head Psychiatrist.It was fascinating until 3 guys came out and grabbed the guy.He was a patient who somehow got out of his room.Then the real Psychiatrist came and he bored us all.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Re:Math.One of my daughters is a Math Teacher .She teaches Math Teachers .Obviously she did not get her appreciation of the subject from me.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I have little tolerance of people who think they're so high and mighty that they can look at down their nose at someone else because of the line of work they're doing.  Congratulations, you won today's prize. Next time you get smacked upside the head for making a judgmental stereotyped statement about a group of people you might want to consider the possibility of a little contrition in your reply going a long way toward making amends for what you said.

Tolerance indeed, legend in your own mind 😀

9 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

I believe in blunt honesty but not rudeness.  And I did ask about perks, I was told would receive "amenities" that would be more than what other agencies may be able to offer as this agency is one of Royal's top producers.  My perks will depend on the booking and I did not bother to ask him exactly what they would be as this is such a cheap cruise that I know I will not get much for it.  This is something of a test to see how we enjoy (or utilize) a TA for our more expensive and involved bookings.  The agency was actually closed when I made the decision to transfer to them and emailed him last night.  Oddly enough he got back to me immediately and I made the transfer.  They are closed today but he said as soon as he gets in and processes it I will hear back from him.

People are trying to give you good advice, but you are so defensive about what you are doing (which frankly makes very little sense) that you aren't hearing.  I mean really, what have you told us?  You did no research on the first TA and now with the second one you have bought a pig in the poke based on some unspecified 'amenities'.   By your own description you make impulsive, rash, decisions.  You couldn't even wait to talk to the second TA in person and get details about their deal, before plunging in and transferring your booking.  Would you buy a car like that?  Commit to buying without knowing the price, or what options are included, what rebates are available, what financing is available, if relevant?

You ignore all the proven  practices that people who have used TAs to save significant amounts have advised, and then lament that you don't see why you should use a TA.  

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

My wife's first job after completing graduate school was at Brooklyn State.

My best friend who I have known since we toddlers who graduated NYU with a degree in Math believes that if 2 strangers have a conversation for at least 2 hours they will find that they share something in common.I personally have found that to be true.

I love the art of conversation especially on cruises. On the first sea day of a cruise I wear a Born In Brooklyn tee shirt.That generates a lot of conversation.

On the second sea day I wear a Canarsie,Brooklyn tee shirt.I get a few people stopping me to say they lived there at some point.On the third day I wear a tee shirt from the town I live in currently and have gotten one response thus far.On the fourth day I wear a tee shirt that I bought in Princeton,NJ that has a quote by Albert Einstein and people read it but never say anything.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:39 PM, sloopsailor said:

And you won't get a 10% rebate on any cruises. The "discounts" aren't really rebates. And they aren't at the same percentage value. They are perks offered by the TAs to earn your business. The perks come out of the TAs profits, not the cruise line's. The more business the TAs do with a cruise line, the more generous are the commissions they receive from the cruise lines, and the more they can offer their customers out of those commissions. If a TA only does most of their business with a small list of lines, those will be the lines that better offers will be available for. For lines they do less business with, they will make less commission and be able to offer fewer perks. 

If the cruise line website lists the fare as $2500 PP including taxes and fees and if my TA quotes that sells that cruise to me for $2250 PP including taxes and fees, I have received a 10% discount.  It's irrelevant to me whether the TA reduced her commission or the cruise reduced their price, I'm still paying 10% less.  

The TA I use books with all cruise lines.  I have booked Princess, RCCI, X, and HAL using her services.  I've also discussed European and American river cruises.  She is an incredibly high volume listing agent.  In all cases, her standard minimum discount is 8-10%.  I was very fortunate to find her through another CC poster.  As near as I can tell, many CC posters use her services.

If I ever have to find another TA, the big box store will be my fallback.

42 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If the cruise line website lists the fare as $2500 PP including taxes and fees and if my TA quotes that sells that cruise to me for $2250 PP including taxes and fees, I have received a 10% discount.  It's irrelevant to me whether the TA reduced her commission or the cruise reduced their price, I'm still paying 10% less.  

The TA I use books with all cruise lines.  I have booked Princess, RCCI, X, and HAL using her services.  I've also discussed European and American river cruises.  She is an incredibly high volume listing agent.  In all cases, her standard minimum discount is 8-10%.  I was very fortunate to find her through another CC poster.  As near as I can tell, many CC posters use her services.

If I ever have to find another TA, the big box store will be my fallback.

Personally, I would prefer a straight 10% discount on the fare instead of perks such as OBC or prepaid whatever. That way I know what I have saved, and can do whatever I want with that extra money. However, if the TA only offers the equivalent in various perks that I can use, then I am satisfied. In the end, 10% savings as a discount or in usable perks I would probably pay for anyway, it all amounts to the same $$$$ I don't have to spend. What is important is that the TA is saving me money by the time I am back home again.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend who I have known since we toddlers who graduated NYU with a degree in Math believes that if 2 strangers have a conversation for at least 2 hours they will find that they share something in common.I personally have found that to be true.

I love the art of conversation especially on cruises. On the first sea day of a cruise I wear a Born In Brooklyn tee shirt.That generates a lot of conversation.

On the second sea day I wear a Canarsie,Brooklyn tee shirt.I get a few people stopping me to say they lived there at some point.On the third day I wear a tee shirt from the town I live in currently and have gotten one response thus far.On the fourth day I wear a tee shirt that I bought in Princeton,NJ that has a quote by Albert Einstein and people read it but never say anything.

Just to extend this one more time...at the risk of angering everyone else reading the thread...my wife has her undergraduate degree from  NYU...at the former University Heights campus in the Bronx, and although she was a psychology major she had a minor in math, which meant she would travel down to the Washington Square campus to take some math courses at the Courant Institute. 

And my brother-in-law, my sister's husband...is originally from Canarsie .

For that matter we live not far from Princeton...

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

For some reason I cannot seem to respond to your last post about Canarsie .I lived there 36 years. It would really be something if I knew your brother-in-law.

I lived on E.91 between Ave M and N. East 94 between Ave N and Seaview Ave and East 104 between L and M.I was very active in Civic ,Political and Religious organizations and I knew many,many people.

My first name is Lenny,last name begins with the letter G.

33 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Personally, I would prefer a straight 10% discount on the fare instead of perks such as OBC or prepaid whatever. That way I know what I have saved, and can do whatever I want with that extra money. However, if the TA only offers the equivalent in various perks that I can use, then I am satisfied. In the end, 10% savings as a discount or in usable perks I would probably pay for anyway, it all amounts to the same $$$$ I don't have to spend. What is important is that the TA is saving me money by the time I am back home again.

I would too.   My TA lets you choose.  You can get a discount or an equivalent OBC. She doesn't care, your choice.   

We called our internet based TA and were ready to book.  Gave her details. She said several of her clients had been on the ship lately.  It was a dog.  We passed and booked a different ship.

Another time, we called our TA to book.   She said that she knew of a better offer on an equiv. ship.  So we booked that and saved some dough.

Another time we called to book and our TA said to wait a few days.  Sure enough, the price went down even further. We saved some dough.

All of these were booked inside the final payment window.  Oh yes, she also gave us and OBC and on one of them a free third party excursion in Barbados.

Great service, everything confirmed in writing. No surprises.

Would a cruise line CSR provided even one of those.  I do not think so.  That is why we use a TA.

• Like 1

Another TA vs No TA thread.....these always seem to end the same. The pro and anti TA folks just going back and forth and not getting anywhere or solving anything other than increasing the "post counts" of members.   Pretty much the same as the threads about southwest airlines being "cheaper" and  the "take passport off the ship or not". they just end up with the same folks saying the same things over and over. 

I have been using a TA at a small independent office for the past 15 years.  I think once she got us a $50 OBC we wouldn't have gotten by booking directly with the cruise line.  And given DW has probably spent more than twice that buying her souvenirs  from our trips it has not been for discounts.

The first time I used her it was for one reason and only one reason, she is the daughter of a friend and she as a new employee was having trouble meeting quota.  It didn't save me money, but didn't cost me money but it helped a good friend's daughter...so why not.

On the third trip, I booked thru her (done purely as a favor to her) I missed a connecting flight.  And she was able to get me on another flight, from what I could gather those attempting to use the airline 800 number were on a half hour phone queue, but being she was able to go directly in the system she got me on to the flight while others waited in queue.  

At this point I realized she was worth her weight in gold.  

Similar things happened about three or four more times including her getting me a hotel room during a snow storm.  Hundreds of people slept in the airport because they couldn't get a reservation.  The most recent about six months ago,  I had a two hour ground delay before departure resulting me in missing my connection.  When we landed and I took my phone off "airplane" I got a text message from her telling me I missed my connection, and what flight I was booked on.  And an apology for not knowing the gate number.   Then another text with the gate number.  

Knowing Sally "has my back" is worth way more than an extra $100 in OBC.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

That comment wasn't rude in any way. It only stated that you should do what you are comfortable with regardless of what people are telling you because in the end it is only you that is affected, not us. Some of us find TAs useful, and some don't. You are getting opinions on both sides of the debate. Nothing rude about that reality. 

This is the second or third time in this tread that you have complained about perceived rude answers. My advice now is not about TAs, but about not being so darned sensitive. Chill out!! There are lots of people on CC, all with different experiences and opinions, and many of us are willing to share them with people who have questions. That is the beauty of CC - we get a variety of advice to choose from. All we have to do is ask. 

I am wondering - will you find this comment rude as well? 

I really do not understand why so many posters on these forums like to be argumentative.  I do not see your post as rude, your advice may be ill given but not rude.  I am not sensitive but I do expect a level of respect and decency in responses and I believe that I have only said that two were rude.  One at the beginning of the thread with part of the post in capital letters saying:

"Do you think everyone here is lying about the benefits they receive?   And you are missing the fact that using a TA for a RIVER cruise is not the same as using one for an OCEAN cruise.  And I'd bet that most people booking their cruise through a TA do their flight and other bookings themselves.

One poorly researched experience with a TA is not a good basis for making a sweeping judgment."

Yes, that response was rude and the post above saying: "Basically the rest of us don't care one way or another."

That was rude too.  I do not need to be told to chill out or not be so sensitive, neither of those posts were necessary or really added anything productive to the thread, they were meant to add only attitude.  I asked for advice, yes, not to to be talked down to and if a poster doesn't care then why bother to read or post at all?  CC can be a great place to be and gather information but it can also be full of people with attitude that are rude and condescending and that gets old after a while.  You do not have to be sensitive to get tired of it.  Advice is welcome if it is productive and relevant, not if it is delivered in a disrespectful manner.  But I am sure someone will say I am being too delicate and it is ridiculous to expect decent behavior and kindness over rudeness.🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I have been using a TA at a small independent office for the past 15 years.  I think once she got us a $50 OBC we wouldn't have gotten by booking directly with the cruise line.  And given DW has probably spent more than twice that buying her souvenirs  from our trips it has not been for discounts.

The first time I used her it was for one reason and only one reason, she is the daughter of a friend and she as a new employee was having trouble meeting quota.  It didn't save me money, but didn't cost me money but it helped a good friend's daughter...so why not.

On the third trip, I booked thru her (done purely as a favor to her) I missed a connecting flight.  And she was able to get me on another flight, from what I could gather those attempting to use the airline 800 number were on a half hour phone queue, but being she was able to go directly in the system she got me on to the flight while others waited in queue.  

At this point I realized she was worth her weight in gold.  

Similar things happened about three or four more times including her getting me a hotel room during a snow storm.  Hundreds of people slept in the airport because they couldn't get a reservation.  The most recent about six months ago,  I had a two hour ground delay before departure resulting me in missing my connection.  When we landed and I took my phone off "airplane" I got a text message from her telling me I missed my connection, and what flight I was booked on.  And an apology for not knowing the gate number.   Then another text with the gate number.  

Knowing Sally "has my back" is worth way more than an extra $100 in OBC.    

Thank you, I have transferred a very inexpensive booking to a localish TA and though the perks will not be plentiful I am hoping the assistance over time will make up for it!  Especially when we book more involved trips.

15 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

I really do not understand why so many posters on these forums like to be argumentative.  I do not see your post as rude, your advice may be ill given but not rude.  I am not sensitive but I do expect a level of respect and decency in responses and I believe that I have only said that two were rude.  One at the beginning of the thread with part of the post in capital letters saying:

"Do you think everyone here is lying about the benefits they receive?   And you are missing the fact that using a TA for a RIVER cruise is not the same as using one for an OCEAN cruise.  And I'd bet that most people booking their cruise through a TA do their flight and other bookings themselves.

One poorly researched experience with a TA is not a good basis for making a sweeping judgment."

Yes, that response was rude and the post above saying: "Basically the rest of us don't care one way or another."

That was rude too.  I do not need to be told to chill out or not be so sensitive, neither of those posts were necessary or really added anything productive to the thread, they were meant to add only attitude.  I asked for advice, yes, not to to be talked down to and if a poster doesn't care then why bother to read or post at all?  CC can be a great place to be and gather information but it can also be full of people with attitude that are rude and condescending and that gets old after a while.  You do not have to be sensitive to get tired of it.  Advice is welcome if it is productive and relevant, not if it is delivered in a disrespectful manner.  But I am sure someone will say I am being too delicate and it is ridiculous to expect decent behavior and kindness over rudeness.🤷‍♀️

OK, I understand. I will no longer offer advice to you since you are too much on the defensive. I prefer not to help people who get easily offended by honest answers. I have much better things to do than try to help people who don't appreciate it. I have no doubt others here will be doing the same.

Good luck with any future questions. I am certain you will find something about those answers to get offended about, so brace yourself. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

Thank you, I have transferred a very inexpensive booking to a localish TA and though the perks will not be plentiful I am hoping the assistance over time will make up for it!  Especially when we book more involved trips.

WARNING!!!!  In talking to others my experience is the exception not the rule.  We know her personally.  I I doubt all her customers get the level of service I do.  Although I am certain she gives all her customers better service than some 800 number or website

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SantaFeFan said:

OK, I understand. I will no longer offer advice to you since you are too much on the defensive. I prefer not to help people who get easily offended by honest answers. I have much better things to do than try to help people who don't appreciate it. 

Good luck with any future questions. I am certain you will find something about those answers to get offended about, so brace yourself. 

It is quite obvious that you do not understand as you continue to say I am too defensive and do not appreciate advice.  That is not true, I have "liked'' and thanked many posters here for their advice.  I also never said I was offended and the posts I said were rude were not honest answers, they were rude responses.  I suppose you cannot recognize that and of course that is fine.  I choose to try and be respectful and not purposely respond to people in a way that will antagonize them.  Regardless,  I am certain you will find another thread to post on and I hope you feel more appreciated there.

7 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

WARNING!!!!  In talking to others my experience is the exception not the rule.  We know her personally.  I I doubt all her customers get the level of service I do.  Although I am certain she gives all her customers better service than some 800 number or website

I guess this will be my test booking to see what type of service we get.  Maybe we will never need any emergency help or have any complications so it may not be necessary but who knows?  Cannot hurt to try it out and see if going through a TA will be beneficial for when we look at the river cruise we are planning and the med cruise I am planning, lol.