information on trans-Pacific cruisessought

denny1700

I live in Seattle but all the cruises leave for Alaska.  I would like to do a trans-Pacific Ocean cruise.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on cruises lines that leave from San Francisco and go to a place like Singapore or Bangkok, etc.?

Your options will increase if you are open to trans-Pacific cruises that also depart from Seward (Silversea from Seward to Tokyo to Hong Kong next year), Los Angeles/San Pedro, and San Diego. Crystal has a San Diego-Guam-Hong Kong-Singapore cruise in starting in January. You would probable need a back-to-back to get all the way from the west coast to either Singapore or Bangkok.

Edited by Shorex
spelling

In fact, I wonder if there ARE any trans-Pacific cruises that leave from S.F.

Also, I'd be a solo traveler...I understand there are freighters that also can accommodate travelers, granted with few frills.

I did an Aegean 7-day cruise two years ago...it was too short.  I just enjoy relaxing on a ship, reading, watching the sunrise, etc.   The discos and shopping, and even the daily land excursions I could do without.

Without spending any time on it, Denny, just based on itineraries I have seen and brushed over, I would look at Vancouver as the embarkation port. The west end-point might be in Japan, but there could be next-cruise options to some of the southern ports you favor.

Try the "Find a Cruise" menu at the top of all Cruise Critic pages.

• Like 2

Go to this website:  https://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Start with Departure Ports and choose your west coast ports, particularly Vancouver.  Start in Sept.  When you find a ship that interests you, go back to the home page and choose that ship from the Cruise Ships list.  You might like to look at Westerdam - if you have a lot of time....those cruises aren't short!  Play around with the website.  there is lots of info there.  

• Like 1

The Carnival Splendor leaves from Long Beach bound for Singapore on October 5, 2019.  24 nights.

Stops in Hawaii, Guam, Malaysia, Vietnam.

My understanding is that it is a repositioning cruise.  Moving the Splendor to serve the Asian market.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?depcity=200&page=3

I actually did find the cruisecritic.com webpages that list apparently all cruises out of San Francisco.  It does appear that Vancouver would be the best departure port.

I think either a repositioning or freight ship would be the best bet for me, but there don't appear to be any solo discounts for the former, and I still haven't figured out how to find the latter.

7 hours ago, denny1700 said:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?depcity=200&page=3

I actually did find the cruisecritic.com webpages that list apparently all cruises out of San Francisco.  It does appear that Vancouver would be the best departure port.

I think either a repositioning or freight ship would be the best bet for me, but there don't appear to be any solo discounts for the former, and I still haven't figured out how to find the latter.

Royal Caribbean Ovation of the seas does 2 a year, April and September and it has solo cabins.  10 nights Vancouver to Honolulu, 2nd leg 18 nights Honolulu to Sydney, does the reverse trip in April.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

>>  Royal Caribbean Ovation of the seas does 2 a year, April and September and it has solo cabins.  10 nights Vancouver to Honolulu, 2nd leg 18 nights Honolulu to Sydney, does the reverse trip in April.  

Thanks for the information.  It's not that easy finding information as one can lost in Google searches and/or assume one has come to a dead end when one really hasn't.  I'm just going to wrap my head around going up to Vancouver, which I haven't been to in probably at least 40 years.  Also winding up in Sydney, which I really don't have much interest in seeing.      Actually, the reverse in April sounds like it would be doable.

36 minutes ago, denny1700 said:

>>  Royal Caribbean Ovation of the seas does 2 a year, April and September and it has solo cabins.  10 nights Vancouver to Honolulu, 2nd leg 18 nights Honolulu to Sydney, does the reverse trip in April.  

Thanks for the information.  It's not that easy finding information as one can lost in Google searches and/or assume one has come to a dead end when one really hasn't.  I'm just going to wrap my head around going up to Vancouver, which I haven't been to in probably at least 40 years.  Also winding up in Sydney, which I really don't have much interest in seeing.      Actually, the reverse in April sounds like it would be doable.

Might check April 2021 prices when they open. We booked the April 2020 about 9 months ago and they have doubled since then. Seems like prices are very low when released and then sky rocket as time goes by. We actually canceled the 2020 TP cruise and ended up booking a B2B on Allure when it leaves Europe for Miami in Oct. 2020.  LAX to Sydney airfare was a killer I would not pay, Lax to Barcelona is as low as $350.00 on Royals air2sea program one way.  Happy choosing and sailing.

Thanks again for sharing this information.   I didn't realize one needed to book so far in advance and that prices could skyrocket in such a short period of time.  I'm going shortly to Europe in a couple of weeks, so I will leave this one on the back burner until I return.

We are sailing B2B from Vancouver to Tokyo, then around Japan, Taipei, and Vietnam, ending in Singapore in September/October of next year on Celebrity. They have two ships doing Trans-Pacific cruises in the fall, coming back in the spring. This year's cruises are cheap, so I'm hoping for a price drop next year as well.

You might want to check Celebrity's site and see if their cruises fit your needs. 

I did a transpacific from San Diego to Auckland on Crystal, and in January I'm on a B2B from Los Angeles to Auckland (via Tahiti) also on Crystal.  In 2021, I'm on a Los Angeles to Brisbane, again on Crystal.  I guess you're seeing a pattern here.....I also  did a reverse transpacific, also on Crystal, from Tokyo to California (it was supposed to be to LA, but debarkation ended up in San Diego instead). 

So, yes, they do exist.

Denny, You might want to post your question on the Freighter section on CC, if that might be a possibility for you.

We did that back in 1969, NYC to Sydney.  42 days, no ports between Panama and Australia.  It was wonderful!  But it did take a lot of sleuthing to find it; it's not the sort of voyage you find on the mainstream lines or agencies.

I have done 2 TP’s, with the 3rd coming up in Oct. on Splendor. I am also booked on the Ovation OTS in Apr/May 2021. The first leg is Singapore to Yokohama, and the TP leg is Yokohama to Seattle. Can’t get much closer to home than that.

I am also a solo traveler and I look at cost per day, not paying a single supplement. I usually book an interior, but on the Splendor TP I will have portholes in my cabin, and on the Ovation I have an interior with virtual balcony.

2 of my TP’s ended in Sydney and I love that city. Not sure if you have been there and didn't care for it, but there is so much to see and do (venture out of the city), that I would go there again in a heartbeat.

I'm surely Sydney wouldn't be bad at all; I was probably exaggerating my lack of interest.  At least it would be similar enough to N. America so that I would have an easy time of "navigating" in and from the airport, etc.

You're certainly in my neck of the woods (Lynnwood, can't be closer than that to Seattle), and it's clear to you as well as me now that you can't really get from Seattle to anywhere but Alaska on a cruise line.   The ones you're doing aren't repositioning cruises, are they?

3 hours ago, denny1700 said:

I'm surely Sydney wouldn't be bad at all; I was probably exaggerating my lack of interest.  At least it would be similar enough to N. America so that I would have an easy time of "navigating" in and from the airport, etc.

You're certainly in my neck of the woods (Lynnwood, can't be closer than that to Seattle), and it's clear to you as well as me now that you can't really get from Seattle to anywhere but Alaska on a cruise line.   The ones you're doing aren't repositioning cruises, are they?

The Ovation in May of 2021 is a repositioning. She will be coming back to do the Alaska season. I hadn’t originally planned to book the first leg from Singapore to Yokohama, but it seemed like everybody was booking it on the Roll Call, so I thought it would be a chance to see places I haven’t been. This one was very popular and I think some of the cabins have sold out. It went fast, because the price was so good.

And the Splendor next month is also a repo. But you definitely have to love sea days. After it’s dry dock in Singapore, it will go to Australia. I absolutely love the South Pacific (Bora Bora is my fave), but my first 2 TP’s went to the same places, so I’m glad the Splendor is doing new ports on its way to Singapore).

Any type of unique repositioning cruises seem to be very popular, and sell quickly, sometimes almost 2 years in advance, as with the Ovation.