First Time Cruising Carnival Since 2000

Negril60

We are cruising on the Conquest September 7th. .  I haven't cruised with Carnival since November of 2000 on the Triumph. My husband and Iast sailed Princess in November of 2013.  We have been flying into the islands directly and staying. I always enjoyed Carnival cruises. Anyday on sea is better then being at work.  Things has changed. You now check in on line  from home and print off the luggage tags.  I purchased FTTF and you get assigned boarding times. Things has changed since I started cruising with Carnival in 1996 on the Sensation. I really didn't plan on this cruise as we were originally booked for Cuba. Any other tips I should be aware of ? I appreciate any suggestions. Flying in a day early from Ohio.

Hope you have a great cruise. Here are a couple of tips:

- Since you have FTTF you can show up anytime (recommend around 1030).  You have to choose a check-in time but since you have FTTF you can show up earlier than your chosen time.

- Doors will say not open until 1:30.  With FTTF you can ignore the sign enter the doors and go directly to your room which will be ready.

- You now will get your sail and sign card in your room mailbox in a sealed envelope.  Prior to getting your card, you can use your boarding pass to make any purchases (drinks).

Hope these tips help.

You can no longer bring bottles onboard with you, even sealed water bottles. Each passenger can bring a 12 pack of soda or water onboard with them. They sell bottled water pretty cheaply in the funshops online, so much better than lugging it onboard with you anyway, you can have it delivered to your room on the first day. 

You don't pick your boarding time, you pick your arrival time. Meaning, the time you arrive at the terminal for check-in. The arrival times are given in half-hour windows. You'll pick a time as part of your online check-in when you log in to your account. Typically, they won't let passengers into the terminal until their chosen arrival time, but since you have FTTF, you are allowed inside the terminal anytime, even before the time you choose.

Boarding will begin shortly after they clear the ship after the previous cruise. They'll call wedding parties, Platinum & Diamonds, suite guests, and then FTTF. On average, they usually begin boarding around 11am, give or take.

Even though your cabin is supposed to be ready as soon as you board with FTTF, sometimes they're busy and don't get all of the priority cabins prepped immediately. If your door is still open, that means they're still cleaning, but usually if you ask if you could just drop off your carry-on, they won't mind. If it's not ready quite yet, there's a chance your S&S card won't be in your mailbox, but your steward should bring it soon.

To add to the last comment, you can also bring one 750ml bottle of wine on board for every drinking-aged adult. If you take your bottle to dinner in the MDR with you, policy is to charge you a $15 "corkage" fee. This isn't necessarily to uncork the bottle, but a fee charged for drinking wine in the MDR that wasn't purchased on board. Some waiters have been known to not charge this fee, but just so you know. You can bring a glass of your own wine to the MDR free of charge.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

You can no longer bring bottles onboard with you, even sealed water bottles. Each passenger can bring a 12 pack of soda or water onboard with them. They sell bottled water pretty cheaply in the funshops online, so much better than lugging it onboard with you anyway, you can have it delivered to your room on the first day. 

I believe it is roughly $4.00 for a 12-pack of water.

Karen

Bathrobes and ice are no longer automatically in the cabin.  When you first meet your cabin steward, you will have to request them if you want them. 

Chocolates are no longer on your pillow during turn-down. 

Smoking is no longer allowed in your cabin or on your balcony. 

Table cloths are no longer on the dining room tables except on Elegant night. 

Formal night is now Elegant night.  It's a lot more relaxed.  I would estimate that only about half of the guests really dress up.  

They have also added a "Cheers" program.  In short, for $56.95 per person, per day, you can get up to 15 alcoholic drinks.  It's $5 cheaper if you buy it before your cruise.  If one person in the cabin gets it, everyone in that cabin that is over 21 has to get it.

For a detailed run down on Cheers, go to the FAQs section on Carnival's website and scroll down to "What is the Cheers Beverage Program".  It goes into lengthy details of what you can and can't get with the program.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Negril60 said:

We are cruising on the Conquest September 7th. .  I haven't cruised with Carnival since November of 2000 on the Triumph. My husband and Iast sailed Princess in November of 2013.  We have been flying into the islands directly and staying. I always enjoyed Carnival cruises. Anyday on sea is better then being at work.  Things has changed. You now check in on line  from home and print off the luggage tags.  I purchased FTTF and you get assigned boarding times. Things has changed since I started cruising with Carnival in 1996 on the Sensation. I really didn't plan on this cruise as we were originally booked for Cuba. Any other tips I should be aware of ? I appreciate any suggestions. Flying in a day early from Ohio.

Yeah, with FTTF, ignore your boarding time and show up 10:30 or so as suggested. I'd also remind the porter your bags are priority + give him a decent tip. Then, when you enter the terminal, look for 2 lines. You'll be entering the expedited line with us platinum guests. One last thing, Carnival now offers anytime dining. We love it and use it every cruise. Welcome back to Carnival, Sensation was also our first cruise + we're from Dover, OH.

Thanks so much. So much good info. Will the lines be labeled when we enter for boarding . In the past my hubs wore Dockers for non dress up nights and a jacket with no tie on Dress up nights. Is this still OK? 

28 minutes ago, Negril60 said:

Thanks so much. So much good info. Will the lines be labeled when we enter for boarding . In the past my hubs wore Dockers for non dress up nights and a jacket with no tie on Dress up nights. Is this still OK? 

The lines are labeled + there's usually someone checking your boarding pass and directing you to the correct line. Just wanted to mention it, so you knew not to stand with the masses in the wrong line. Dockers are actually good ANY nite in ANY dining room including the steakhouse. Jackets are never required and he won't feel a bit out of place w/o one. I follow the dress codes, but NEVER dress up. Just too much to pack + haul around.

Daughter and granddaughters just off the Sunshine.  The cabin steward did NOT give them a choice of both on the cabin visits.  Told them 9 to 12 in the morning or 6 to 9 in the evening. I forgot to tell them that they could have cleaning AND  turndown service.  I though by now that all of that would be straight.  Seems they are still getting over on cruisers that dont cruise very often.

34 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

Daughter and granddaughters just off the Sunshine.  The cabin steward did NOT give them a choice of both on the cabin visits.  Told them 9 to 12 in the morning or 6 to 9 in the evening. I forgot to tell them that they could have cleaning AND  turndown service.  I though by now that all of that would be straight.  Seems they are still getting over on cruisers that dont cruise very often.

They've been doing it from the moment Carnival introduced the option to choose. And they'll continue to make people think it's one or the other as long as it decreases their already heavy workload. I don't know if anyone has brought this to the attention of Carnival brass, but I'd like to think they know stewards do it. If they do know about it, they obviously don't care. They probably see it as a win, win. They get to keep their steward/team numbers low (saves them money) and, as long as the stewards talk passengers into picking one or the other, it makes them happier.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hotdog 52 said:

According to the hotel manager I talked to at a recent Diamond special event, it is up to the discretion of the cabin steward if they want to offer service twice a day. They are only required to service cabins once a day. 

You will see a huge difference in the food but food is subjective.

Do go to the seaday brunch its the best not to be missed!

Get the drink package online before the cruise, you pay more on the ship

Do go and make reservations at the Steakhouse, its my most favorite specialty restaurant even over Royal Caribbeans

FTTF is so worth it unless your platinum then don't bother

Don't compare Carnival to Princess, if you do you be disappointed

Make sure your passport is still valid

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

According to the hotel manager I talked to at a recent Diamond special event, it is up to the discretion of the cabin steward if they want to offer service twice a day. They are only required to service cabins once a day. 

Many of us predicted this end result when the "option" was first announced.

My reaction hasn't changed.  When the time comes I can no longer get twice a day cabin service I will reduce the portion of pre-paid gratuities that go to the steward by half.  Simultaneously I will probably no longer notice a need to leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

It's sort of self-evident that if I'm not receiving the expected level of service, I can hardly be receiving anything above and beyond that.

Meanwhile the OP asked about changes.  This is a significant change.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Many of us predicted this end result when the "option" was first announced.

My reaction hasn't changed.  When the time comes I can no longer get twice a day cabin service I will reduce the portion of pre-paid gratuities that go to the steward by half.  Simultaneously I will probably no longer notice a need to leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

It's sort of self-evident that if I'm not receiving the expected level of service, I can hardly be receiving anything above and beyond that.

Meanwhile the OP asked about changes.  This is a significant change.

Anytime the subject has come up on here, someone usually ends up posting a fb comment from JH saying we're still allowed twice/day service. Nothing about it being at the discretion of the stewards. If they're officially going to do away with twice/day, I'd like to see some kind of announcement.

Never thought about the gratuities. The daily amount set by Carnival included twice daily service. In fact, they've quietly raised it about $1.00 in the last year. It's $13.99 per person, per day now, but as recently as last summer, we paid $12.95 per person, per day. So it went up a dollar after they introduced the option of once/day service. I realize the tips go to a lot more people than stewards & their teams, but I think it's fair to consider that if our cabins get serviced half as much, gratuities should reflect that. I don't think I'd personally cut them in half, but to each their own.

• Like 1

Welcome back to Carnival!

You can pre-purchase water on Carnival's website - 12 pack for $4.50. When ordering, you can pick what time you want it delivered.  You can also pre-order a bucket of beer. 😊

By going to the FAQs section on Carnival's website and type in gratuity - you'll get a list showing total for days, amount of gratuity. 

Happy Sails! 🛳️

Much has changed. There is now much less emphasis on formality, and even more emphasis on fun. And there is so much more fun to choose from! From comedy clubs to mini waterparks. Also, more food options, both free and for an added charge [ you have to try out Guys' Burgers and Blue Iguana, and the Seaday brunch!]

You will no longer have your chair pulled out for you in the MDR and the napkin placed in your lap, but you will have a choice of dining times. And you have to try the chocolate melting cake[with or without a side of peanut butter]

No more topless sunbathing but the best [in my opinion] cruise directors at sea]

Another thing, ussually, unless there are special circumstances,you will board the ship much earlier. Back in the day, b oarding did not start until every  cabin had been cleaned. Now, even without priority boarding, you get on much earlier, you just have to wait awhile before going into your cabin. This is one of the changes I most love!

I don't know if you paid for the last cruise you took, but if you did, then you already know that, adjusted for inflation, this cruise is costing you WAAAAY less, especially if youhave a balcony cabin! I remember my first few cruises that there were an extremely small percentage of cabins with a balcony, and they were crazy expensive!

The kids' programs are beyond amazing, much better than in the past, [especially if you have teens or pre-teens]and on seadays there are crafts from Michaels [free, and ussually in the library]

Muster drills are still a pain in the butt, but you no longer have to wear your lifevest, and there is a good chance that it will take place in a comfortable area indoors. 

Many smoking restricted areas, and most smokers even agree that's a good thing. 

I think that if you focus on the things that are missing [chocolate on the pillow, gluttonous midnight buffets, dining cloths, less elegance, more cassual] that you will probably be dissapointed, but if you look at all the additional goodies that were not available, even at a significantly higher price[ inflation adjusted] you just might find yourself having the time of your life! I hope you have so much fun!

Y

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

Another thing, ussually, unless there are special circumstances,you will board the ship much earlier. Back in the day, b oarding did not start until every  cabin had been cleaned. Now, even without priority boarding, you get on much earlier, you just have to wait awhile before going into your cabin. This is one of the changes I most love!

I'm not sure when "back in the day" was but our first cruise was in 1999 and we boarded fairly early and had to wait until 1:30 to gain access to our cabin back then.

Muster drills are still a pain in the butt, but you no longer have to wear your lifevest, and there is a good chance that it will take place in a comfortable area indoors. 

Only on the Dream and Vista classes of ships.  Fantasy, Conquest and Sunrise classes still have them outside.

Many smoking restricted areas, and most smokers even agree that's a good thing. 

Don't know what smokers you talked to but I've never heard any of them say it's a good thing.  Only the non smokers say that it's a good thing.