Unlimited Wifi Package (2 Devices) and the Elite Discount

mahdnc

So I just got off the phone with the Captains Club to try--using my 30% Elite discount--to buy an unlimited wifi package for 2 devices for our upcoming 12 night Solstice cruise in December.  The wifi packages are currently on sale (20% off).  However it appears that my 30% Elite discount doesn't give me an advantage because it can only be used on the non-sale price.  In the end, I didn't use my Elite discount.

Here is the math:

Normal price for 1 device unlimited wifi package is $325.  Normal price for a 2 device unlimited wifi package is $487.50 which is essentially marking down the 2nd device by 50%.

Currently the sale price in my Cruise Planner for 1 device unlimited wifi package is $260 (20% off).  The sale price for 2 devices is $390

When I called the Capt Club, I am told that I can get the 30% Elite discount but only on the single device packages and at their undiscounted price. They cannot apply it to the 2 device package.  So my option is to buy 2 single device packages using our Elite discount (my wife and I are both Elite) = $455.  This is worse than the current sale price for 2 devices available to anybody ($390).

I know if I wait to buy on board, I can go to the iLounge and buy a 1 device package ($325) and apply my 30% Elite discount for a total of $227.50.  And I can get 50% off the price for a 2nd device although I cannot use my Elite discount on that--which adds another $162.50.  The grand total for both devices is $390 which is the current sale price for 2 devices available to anybody.

So my conclusion is that the 30% Elite discount is of value only if you plan on buying a single device package.  When you are buying a 2 device package, you are better off just waiting for the packages to go on sale (20% off) which is what I ended up doing.

Anyone other Elites out there who have bought a 2 device package with a different (better) outcome?

BTW, there will be a few of you who will suggest that my wife and I share a single device package.  The reason I am buying a 2 device package is for my family of 4 to share.  

Unlimited Wifi Package Prices.JPG

Edited by mahdnc

We are elite+ and on our last trip we were told we could not use the Captain Club’s discount on the 2 device package as it is already discounted.  Our solution was one got  the single package using the CC discount and the other made do with the 120 minutes, never again.

I called the other day to purchase the 2 device Surf package using my Elite+ discount.  The Surf package isn’t included in the current sale.  I wasn’t able to purchase it.  The Captains Club rep said that the there was no way for them to process a 2 device Surf package using a Captains Club discount.   BUT she said IT had recently added the 2 device Unlimited package with the Captains Club discounts to the internet packages they could handle.

A different rep may have a different answer.

I just purchased the 2-device unlimited for a sailing next Summer.  The cruise planner gave me a price for the 2-device and said the price included my discount (I'm Elite Plus).  The price sucked, so I called the Captain's Club and requested the Elite + 2-device package at a 35% discount.  They had to do some fiddling around since I was using my OBC, and they came up with an acceptable price.   

They can take their $300-$400 package and shove it, in my opinion.  It's a rip off. 🍷

We have gotten used to each having Unlimited Internet because we have been in suites quite a few times, with 4 perks. We shared last time in a non-suite (I use mine a lot more and he had the free Elite Plus minutes), but for my upcoming cruises that are not in suites, I purchased 4 perks so that we both will have the Unlimited Internet. I did the math and, now with the internet packages so expensive, it had us coming out ahead with paying extra for 4 perks (including upgrade to Premium Alcohol), even taking into consideration the Elite Plus discount. The numbers don't always work out, but did for those cruises.

Edited by vtcruising

I was told you couldn't use the discount on the unlimited 2 device package, just on the 1 device. However, I've found that different Captains Club reps have different answers and abilities. You can't stack your discount onto a sale price, but the pre-cruise non sale price is 10% cheaper than on board and they can apply your discount to that non-sale discounted pre-cruise price.

15 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I was told you couldn't use the discount on the unlimited 2 device package, just on the 1 device. However, I've found that different Captains Club reps have different answers and abilities. You can't stack your discount onto a sale price, but the pre-cruise non sale price is 10% cheaper than on board and they can apply your discount to that non-sale discounted pre-cruise price.

Good point, I forgot about the 10% pre-cruise discount.  That makes my estimate of what it would cost to buy two single device unlimited wifi packages (with 30% Elite discount for the 1st and 50% discount for the 2nd package) to rise to $433 (as opposed to $390).

In the end, I think I am going to just choose the wifi package as my one free perk that I can get for 1st/2nd passenger as it is more expensive than the free gratuities (worth $348) that we usually choose.  We don't drink enough to make the alcohol package worth our while.

Edited by mahdnc

It really is very frustrating how they handle this discount.  We sailed a lot and paid a lot of $$ to Celebrity to earn that Elite Plus status.  IMHO the discount should be applied on top of whatever is being offered to the general public so to speak.  Otherwise it can be a pretty useless perk as the numbers have shown.  Oh well - they didn't ask me so it is what it is.

Just been on the phone to celebrity UK and for our October 13th Azores cruise the unlimited 1 device is £211 and the 2 device is discounted to £316. We are elite plus but the 35% discount only applies to the 1 device package and comes out at £153.90 so two 1 devices is still slightly cheaper at £307.80

My wife and kids were just on the summit. I purchased the surf internet package for the 3 of them. So  I could get intouch with them. They all thought the service was pretty good. I was  even able to facetime my youngest which surprised me. When they got home  I asked them about the service and they said it was better than the voom on some of the Royal ships. In my opinion the unlimited package is way too expensive . You should look into the surf package. It would probably suit your needs. If i remember correctly I think it was about $180 for 3 devices.