Radio Silence From NCL

Jetdoctorbox

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Tells me they don't have a comment at this time.....

I guess next time you might want to sail with RC....  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

You’re taking this a little personal aren’t you?  But I must say you hit the nail on the head.....That’s exactly who we’ll be sailing with!  At least they know how to communicate with their passengers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was on the Brilliance of the Seas in 2010 in the middle of the Mediterranean when hurricane force winds and seas cresting halfway up the side of the ship turned our cruise in to a newsworthy anomaly.

Nothing was problematic until the captain stopped the ship to avoid getting in to a traffic jam just outside of Alexandria, where ships were scrambling to get in to port for shelter before there was no more room to dock.

When a ship's speed drops below 9 knots, the stabilizers become a kind of useless decoration, and you can find yourself in a heeling event that even our captain characterized as "horrifying."  We tossed from port to starboard so deeply and violently that I was effectively standing on the glass door wall to the balcony and looking at churning sea water directly below me.

Not fun.  And a grown man crying like a child is also not pretty.

As long as you're moving, you're likely safe and sound.  Cruise ships are built to handle a lot.   It's not the wind, and it's not the waves.  It's the decisions the captain makes that can turn the whole thing in to a nightmare.

Edited by MotownVoice

1 minute ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

You’re taking this a little personal aren’t you?  But I must say you hit the nail on the head.....That’s exactly who we’ll be sailing with!  At least they know how to communicate with their passengers. 

You are looking to get blood from a stone, NCL has no info yet. I get your frustration but you need to be patient. When they have something to announce.....if you booked with them you will get an email and it will be on the web site. Your close to the port, at least your not flying in from across the country

2 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Really not all too worried about the weather, we just like to be informed. We realized when we booked this cruise it was hurricane season and we would be taking a chance. 

NCL will inform you WHEN they have something solid to go on. It's all speculation at this point.

Keep checking website for updates. I received an email notification about delayed boarding ( due to an emergency) last year on the Bliss 12 hours before boarding.

NCL really doesn’t have a Crystal Ball or a Magic Wand. 

Right now now it looks like it it’s going to be a weather problem for MONDAY for Florida so go with that assumption since that’s the best timing right now, and everything will be fine.

• Like 1

I understand your frustration, but the shoreside customer service agents simply do not have the answer to your question at their fingertips.  No matter how many times you ask, no matter your tone, they cannot answer.  And you must admit, rightly so, as that storm has been so changeable over the past couple days.  Do you board tomorrow?  Well, if so forget about shoreside customer  service; you are done with them.  Guest service on board is different from shoreside.

I will say that during a longer NCL cruise in an active storm period years ago our itinerary, the Captain and cruise director were regularly making announcements as the itinerary was in constant flux as various storm systems moved about the Atlantic.  Changes seemed to occur every day or two...it was almost funny. 

So, my suggestion is to stop wasting your mental energy on it and get in your most flexible mindset.  Dorian demands it.  The Captain will tell you his plan at port or soon thereafter.  But do not get attached to his initial plan; that too may change!  Have fun. I’ll be on the Sun in October, so take care of her for me😉

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

I’ve called NCL and inquired several times about our cruise on the Sun due to set sail tomorrow at 4:00 pm and asked for any updates in reference to Tropical Storm Dorian. They keep telling us nothing has changed and we’ll be sailing the planned route. Well, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. For us to sail the exact same route we’d be sailing directly into the path of the storm. We are a little more than 24 hrs out from setting sail and there have been no emails sent out or updates on this cruise.  All we’re asking for is a little common courtesy.  Every other cruise line has sent out some type of response to this storm or rerouted their ships. There has been nothing more than “Radio Silence” from NCL which is unacceptable and irresponsible. Looks like this will be the last time (If we do) cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. 

To be fair NCL was the first cruise line to cancel cruises when Irma hit a couple years ago. At that time there was a definitive projection, many days out, that the Miami area would receive a direct hit in the current situation the level of certainty is still fairly vague.

The storm is causing uncertainty at 3 major ports:  Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami.  Each could take the brunt of the hurricane.  Wont know for about 48 more hours where in Florida its going to hit. I am in the cone but give prayers for all living on the Florida coast.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

I’ve called NCL and inquired several times about our cruise on the Sun due to set sail tomorrow at 4:00 pm and asked for any updates in reference to Tropical Storm Dorian. They keep telling us nothing has changed and we’ll be sailing the planned route. Well, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. For us to sail the exact same route we’d be sailing directly into the path of the storm. We are a little more than 24 hrs out from setting sail and there have been no emails sent out or updates on this cruise.  All we’re asking for is a little common courtesy.  Every other cruise line has sent out some type of response to this storm or rerouted their ships. There has been nothing more than “Radio Silence” from NCL which is unacceptable and irresponsible. Looks like this will be the last time (If we do) cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. 

What difference does it make. NCL is not going to cancel the cruise, and if you don't go you are going to pay a 100% penalty.The ship will go somewhere, but it will be up to the captain  in consultation with shore based people to decide where it is going to sail.

5 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Thanks for your suggestions!  I’m really not worried about getting on the “boat”. It’s poor customer service that I worry about. 

What poor customer service? Are you saying because they don't yet have an answer to your question that is poor service? It is best to temper expectations in hurricane season.

The constant defending of NCL on this board is amazing. How does RCL have answers but NCL doesn't? RCL has posted an alert on their front page linking to modified itineraries along with a note that they are closely monitoring the situation and will provide additional updates soon.

Why is NCL excused from what seems to be a very reasonable expectation of communication? 

Magic wand or crystal ball? Come now. Don't be absurd.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Thanks for your suggestions!  I’m really not worried about getting on the “boat”. It’s poor customer service that I worry about. 

What part of the customer service is poor?  I see noting poor in your original post, not even close.

• Like 1

So now you know what happens in hurricane season.  Just because RCI closed down their private island and sent some to Nassau does not mean there will be no further changes in their itineraries.  Check back on Friday or Saturday.  If you don't like uncertainty, don't book at the peak of hurricane season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

The constant defending of NCL on this board is amazing. How does RCL have answers but NCL doesn't? RCL has posted an alert on their front page linking to modified itineraries along with a note that they are closely monitoring the situation and will provide additional updates soon.

Why is NCL excused from what seems to be a very reasonable expectation of communication? 

Well, let’s remember the OP is set to leave on a tomorrow on a 4 night cruise from Port Canaveral.  It might be nice if NCL could tell him just how the cruise will be impacted, but if one looks at the spaghetti models for Dorian, you will see how much uncertainty there is.  If the forecasters do not know where Dorian will be in 3-5 days, then neither does NCL know just how this cruise will be impacted.

If they announced a change in itinerary today, they might have had to announce another change a day or two later.  I’ve been through that...it is worse than just waiting for the real stuff to happen.  Why are other lines handling it differently?  Well, different companies do have different styles.  NCL has twice knowingly sailed me into significantly rougher weather than any other cruiseline, so maybe NCL will be more inclined to try to stick to the itinerary than RCI if at all possible.

5 minutes ago, mugtech said:

So now you know what happens in hurricane season.  Just because RCI closed down their private island and sent some to Nassau does not mean there will be no further changes in their itineraries.  Check back on Friday or Saturday.  If you don't like uncertainty, don't book at the peak of hurricane season.

Check back?  I believe the OP sails tomorrow (Thursday) and is scheduled to return Monday.  So, on Friday and Saturday the OP should be on board getting info from the Captain, et al. 

Still I agree, one has to be flexible during hurricane season.

30 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

So basically RCCL has made a decision NOW which may be changed LATER as the storm progresses thereby giving the customer wrong information on the cruise itinerary.  NCL is choosing to wait longer.  It's the old saying of damned if you do and damned if you don't.  It's hurricane season and you have to be flexible and patient.

For the record, that's not defending NCL or criticizing RCCL or the mantra of the so-called "NCL Cheerleaders", it's just what it is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Well, let’s remember the OP is set to leave on a tomorrow on a 4 night cruise from Port Canaveral.  It might be nice if NCL could tell him just how the cruise will be impacted, but if one looks at the spaghetti models for Dorian, you will see how much uncertainty there is.  If the forecasters do not know where Dorian will be in 3-5 days, then neither does NCL know just how this cruise will be impacted.

If they announced a change in itinerary today, they might have had to announce another change a day or two later.  I’ve been through that...it is worse than just waiting for the real stuff to happen.  Why are other lines handling it differently?  Well, different companies do have different styles.  NCL has twice knowingly sailed me into significantly rougher weather than any other cruiseline, so maybe NCL will be more inclined to try to stick to the itinerary than RCI if at all possible.

You're not wrong about any of this. But NCL doesn't need to announce a change. All they need to do is put up a quick note that they are closely monitoring the situation, passengers should arrive for embarkation as scheduled, and that any potential itinerary changes will be announced on board.

It's really not asking much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

No.

RCL closed the island and changed ports as a result of the storm. That's not changing.

I see.   Now if it turns out that the Island was fine to stay on the itinerary after all are you going to tell me that some RCL passengers won't be whining about the change?

Again, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Regardless, here's hoping that everyone has a good time all things considered.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I see.   Now if it turns out that the Island was fine to stay on the itinerary after all are you going to tell me that some RCL passengers won't be whining about the change?

Again, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Regardless, here's hoping that everyone has a good time all things considered.

The island may be fine, but according to RCL's statement, it is their Island employees who need to leave in order to tend to their family and homes.

There is whining on every cruise. This thread is about NCL's choices around how they choose to communicate (or not) with passengers on sailings which may be affected by the storm.

But I agree. If I were OP, I'd just get my ass on the ship. Good times will find a way.

1 hour ago, Outerdog said:

RCL has no answers. They just closed their private island. Like NCL, no change in plans when it is obvious the other ports (like Nassau next to coco cay) are just as likely going to be cloaked. 

• Like 2