Hurricane updates

Mattnvick

11 hours ago, exm said:

Think about the people who disembarked this morning thinking the ship would leave (probably with a Saturday flight). They might have had the expenses of a hotel or stayed in the airport? Not a single word this morning we would stay in Miami, just every 30 minutes a warning to get off the ship before 12:15pm at the latest.

I understand Mother Nature is outside of MSC’ control and yesterday they really had the best intentions but they screwed up royally today. 

My husband and I are in total agreement with everything you have posted about this cruise and how MSC has handled things. It infuriates me (I posted my experience and thoughts on the other thread “Dorian?? MSC Seaside Reroute?”). It’s easy for others who were not onboard to say there was nothing else that could have been done, it was all because of the weather. I can accept things happen (like the weather) that is beyond MSC’s or any other cruiseline’s control. But I do not accept the way we were “played”. That is not how you treat “family”. We should have been more informed— by way of announcements, etc - so that we each could have made the best and safest decisions for our own families.

Hurricane Dorian Update

Update: August 31, 2019 6 AM (EST):   

Hurricane  Dorian Update:    
As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian. For cruise itinerary information on MSC Seaside and MSC Armonia, please see below:  

MSC Seaside – cruise departing August 31  
MSC Seaside will sail as scheduled today, Saturday, August 31. Embarking guests are asked to arrive for check-in between 9 AM and 1 PM (EST). This will allow us to start a smooth embarkation as promptly as possible. All guests must be at the Port and complete check-in no later than 3pm.  

MSC Armonia – cruise departing September 2  
MSC Armonia’s itinerary has been changed. Guests scheduled to embark on Sept. 2 will now be offered a 5-day cruise, embarking on Wednesday, September 4. The itinerary will follow as:  

Wed., Sept. 4 - Depart Miami
Thurs., Sept. 5 - At Sea
Fri., Sept. 6 - Cozumel, Mexico (8 AM - 6 PM)
Sat., Sept. 7 - Costa Maya, Mexico (8 AM - 6 PM)
Sun., Sept. 8 - At Sea
Mon., Sept. 9 - Arrive in Miami  

Guests who were originally booked on the Sept. 2nd MSC Armonia cruise and who choose to take the shortened cruise outlined above will be automatically refunded for 2 days of their cruise. The amount for the two days will be refunded directly to their credit card. Alternatively, guests who are currently booked on the cruise who choose not to sail, are able to cancel and will be refunded the full amount of their cruise fare with no cancellation fees. The full amount will be refunded directly to their credit card and no penalties will apply.

MSC Armonia - cruise departed August 26  
Those guests who are currently on MSC Armonia will have an extended cruise until Wed., Sept. 4. The extended itinerary includes:

Sat., Aug. 31 - At Sea
Sun., Sept. 1 - Costa Maya, Mexico (8 AM - 6 PM)
Mon., Sept. 2 - Cozumel, Mexico (8 AM - 6 PM)
Tues., Sept. 3 - At Sea
Wed., Sept. 4 - Arrive in Miami

Please note, as Hurricane Dorian approaches, the MSC Cruises USA office will have limited staff. We encourage you to please check this web site for all updates, rather than calling our contact center.

It seems to me now that MSC is catching the blame from disgruntled customers for things outside of their control. Things principally within the control of the port of Miami and US authorities. The decision to return Friday with a plan to leave again Friday was because the coast guard issued a bulletin saying they anticipated closing the port on Friday, all vessels 500 tons or larger would have to leave.

Also dissembarkation is totally controlled by the US authorities, if they say everyone has to be off by noon, then you are locking your doors, then that is what's going to happen. 

People had to make their own decisions based on their own circumstances, with just the information available, and within the limits set by the port. 

As the forecast changes, and the captain of the port deferred the decision to close, it makes total sense for Seaside to wait in port. What was the right decision Friday morning, may not have been the right one with hindsight, but blaming MSC for not using a crystal ball to see that the US authorities would get their plans wrong is unwarranted.

• Like 2

Agree Ssmea.  Customs would have dictated the time frame to debark and POM whether/when ship had to leave. 

The biggest fault with MSC is that the letter was definitive as to those who stayed.  Should have said those who elect to stay will likely head out to sea until x/date, although subject to change depending on storm trajectory and decisions of POM and US Customs authorities. 

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Agree Ssmea.  Customs would have dictated the time frame to debark and POM whether/when ship had to leave. 

The biggest fault with MSC is that the letter was definitive as to those who stayed.  Should have said those who elect to stay will likely head out to sea until x/date, although subject to change depending on storm trajectory and decisions of POM and US Customs authorities. 

Yes, but being definitive forces people to make a decision one way or another, rather than leaving them dithering over what might or might not happen. All decisions needed to be made based on the ship sailing again on Friday. The next marine safety bulletin deferring closing the port was not issued until around the time that dissembarkation had to be completed.

29 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Should have said those who elect to stay will likely head out to sea until x/date, although subject to change depending on storm trajectory and decisions of POM and US Customs authorities

Italian translation?? Maybe they need a different proof reader to make sure that the language or nuances aren't misconstrued. 😉😉😉

20 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Italian translation?? Maybe they need a different proof reader to make sure that the language or nuances aren't misconstrued. 😉😉😉

Or clearly indicate the plan is subject to change on the instruction of POM and/or change in the hurricane forecast. An explanation of the limitations imposed by US Customs regarding passenger movement, so passengers were aware MSC had to comply with said limitations.

People are critical, and understandably so that they had a very limited time to make a decision on what to do. And obviously you can't dither about in the situation but those timescales were dependent on POM and US Customs timescales/decisions/operations.

Why didn't POM issue an update which allowed time for passenger decisions Friday and time to disembark before US Customs closed? In the circumstances why wasn't there provision for US Customs to operate extended hours i.e. Friday afternoon?

Other ships returned to Florida ports early on Friday, it's not as though MSC were alone in making that decision.

Ssm I assume you weren’t on the ship? Easy to write this criticizing us as passengers, instead of how MSC communicated on board. I got more information from here then from the Captain

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Why didn't POM issue an update which allowed time for passenger decisions Friday and time to disembark before US Customs closed? In the circumstances why wasn't there provision for US Customs to operate extended hours i.e. Friday afternoon?

Thats the million dollar question for which you will unlikely ever get a definitive  answer except probably we do what we want " becasue we can"..... Not helpful but probably the truth.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exm said:

Ssm I assume you weren’t on the ship? Easy to write this criticizing us as passengers, instead of how MSC communicated on board. I got more information from here then from the Captain

Thank you. Well said here. Who were not on the ship should not criticizing but of cause they do. We were on the ship and we are not newbies on cruising. MSC does not handling this in the proper way. Please compare to Norwegian Sky that dock next to it. They do not kick people out like MSC Seaside. NCL Sky got the same info as MSC Seaside. MSC chose to do something benefit themself instead of their customers. 

2 minutes ago, CruiseLand said:

MSC chose to do something benefit themself instead of their customers. 

Difference between a privately owned company and a company that has to answer to share holders.

No one forces you to sail with MSC you pay your money (usually many dollars cheaper) and you make your choice. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesnt unfortunately. 

Next time you can cross them off your list and sail with a line that you prefer. Happy cruising. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Difference between a privately owned company and a company that has to answer to share holders.

No one forces you to sail with MSC you pay your money (usually many dollars cheaper) and you make your choice. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesnt unfortunately. 

Next time you can cross them off your list and sail with a line that you prefer. Happy cruising. 

You are correct no one forced us to book MSC and definitely will be our last. We got scam for sure. 

Listen, I missed a day at Nassau and had a crappy Friday stuck in Miami without most cruise benefits. However, about 1,000 left the ship and paid for hotels. They were rushed off the ship as late as Friday around noon while MSC already knew the change of plans. That should be unacceptable to anyone reading here.

Edited by exm
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, Mattnvick said:

Slightly off topic but what is the ship in front of Carnival (or behind depending on your pov as Carnival is pointing the wrong way in the basin😏) and the ship behind Seaside - the one behind Seaside looks like an NCL? on the POM webcam. And are they scheduled to be there or have also arrived early?

Behind is NCL Sky.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exm said:

Listen, I missed a day at Nassau and had a crappy Friday stuck in Miami without most cruise benefits. However, about 1,000 left the ship and paid for hotels. They were rushed off the ship as late as Friday around noon while MSC already knew the change of plans. That should be unacceptable to anyone reading here.

It isn't unacceptable.  It is what was done based on info given by the port authorities at the time based on facts and projections at the time.  Things change.  From past hurricanes this situation and how it plays out from start to finish always change and how each line reacts can also very.  In every case someone comes on here and is upset.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

No matter what the cruise lines do in situations like this, they’re going to piss off 50% of the passengers. They are between a rock and a hard place in a no win situation.

That's probably the most bang on thing  ive read on the thread. 

Only way that wouldnt be true is if MSC had said  "we are going to give everyone who sailed for 6 days 100% of your cruise fare back and a bathtub of booze we have left over and fly you all home on a personal jet." Even then i guarantee some one would say but what about the  unused fun pass money will i be credited for that as well. 😉

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

That's probably the most bang on thing  ive read on the thread. 

Only way that wouldnt be true is if MSC had said  "we are going to give everyone who sailed for 6 days 100% of your cruise fare back and a bathtub of booze we have left over and fly you all home on a personal jet." Even then i guarantee some one would say but what about the  unused fun pass money will i be credited for that as well. 😉

You can say that since you was not on the ship.

10 minutes ago, CruiseLand said:

You can say that since you was not on the ship.

I can catergorically say had i been on the ship and MSC had given me 100 refund and private jet home i would be doing a happy dance.

However i am a realist and know that wouldnt happen.  

Having said that i can also categorically tell you had i  been on this sailing ,  had 6 days having fun but then  realised  that millions of people are about to get slammed by a major cat 4 hurricane and could lose everything, I would have happily slept on the airport floor if it meant i could get on a flight out of what is going to become a diaster zone and get home safely. 

• Like 1

Currently on Armonia.  Captain Hansen was on the intercom into the cabins at 0815 to tell us the change in plans.  It was repeated in at least four languages.  There was a session in the theater for English speakers (please only one per cabin...there are 1100 of you and only 550 seats...).  On the screen was the projected track...  They considered many options and the best one was to go back to Costa Maya and Cozumel.  Too much swell at Grand Cayman.  They need to refuel at Costa Maya.  If people need to leave at either Mex port they will assist.  No airport at Costa Maya, so recommend Coz and will pay for ferry to Cancun.  No refund of port fees for Key West but no extra fees for the repeat calls.  New cruise cards issued Monday.  We will not be charged gratuities for the extra days.  Did I forget anything?  Probably.  They taped the meeting and it is looping on the TV.

• Like 4

Thank you for the live update EM. Were you on the extended Divina last year (or was that CF?)?? If so, the odds of back to back extended cruises must be minuscule. It sounds like Armonia is handling things splendidly. I'm sure you are aware there is a warning for coastal Georgia now, so will send some more positive energy your way.

PS: I'm very interested in your trip report of Armonia. I haven't ever given the ship much thought, but currently they are offering 7 days for $189 in an an ocean view room for most fall dates and I have friends looking to sail. 

Armonia is smaller than the Fantasy class of Carnival, but the interior arrangement is totally different and seems larger.  No crowding except in the buffet.  No big atrium.  Rooms are smaller than Carnival but storage is good.  EM

• Like 1