Driving/Parking "tips" during Hurricane Season I just learned

evandbob

I posted this on another thread - but here it is again since I don't see this posted very often........

For anyone driving to a port during hurricane season, parking on a mid or upper level in a covered garage is probably the best option, rather than an off site, open ground level lot.  Avoids any possible flooding or maybe even damage from wind driven items.

And if you fill up your tank on your way into your port before your cruise, you won't have to search for an open gas station if a storm pops up while you were away on the ship.

Gas Buddy app said 74% of MIA and FLL gas stations were already out of gas today, so pax getting off ships this weekend may have had to scramble to find fuel if their tanks were depleted from the drive getting to the cruise port.  I had about half a tank and could have just made it home to Ft Myers from MIA, but found two gas stations open just before getting on I95 North.  We passed plenty (20?) that had no fuel.

Guess I'm still learning stuff even after 50 + cruises.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this!  I haven't cruised during hurricane season for a while but have been rerouted probably 8-9 times, delayed etc.  Some folks not used to to hurricane season cruisinsg don't think of everything and the tip on leaving parked car with a full tank of gas if possible is especially important.

Drive safe, park safe, Carnival board folks!!!!!

Great advice @evandbob… I remember reading posts about cruises out of Galveston years ago where hundreds of cars were flooded out and basically scrapped, after a hurricane hit the port... the cruisers were all fine, as I recall, because they were diverted around the storm and even disembarked somewhere else, only to find out when they got back that their cars were toast!

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

For anyone driving to a port during hurricane season, parking on a mid or upper level in a covered garage is probably the best option, rather than an off site, open ground level lot.  Avoids any possible flooding or maybe even damage from wind driven items.

And as interior on those levels as possible...try to avoid the perimeter spots!