Guarantee booking end result

GICNJC

I am looking to fully understanding Oceania history regarding guaranteed bookings and to share with others on the Oceania board.

So if you had a guaranteed booking can you share with us the outcome.

Please indicate both what you booked in and what the outcome was.  Please, if you were offered an up or down grade, and/or a payment to/or from Oceania, also mention that.

I, and many others thank you for your input.

Here's the deal, there are so many factors involved in this that one person's experience will not really have any relation on another's.

But since you asked. I booked an Inside G guarantee on a very popular, almost sold out cruise on Marina over 18 months ago. I was finally assigned a room last week. I got an Inside, just what I booked. 

There are situations where people get better than they've booked but they might be sworn to silence by their TA. 

Offered an upsell at a combined rate equal to the published cabin rate. Turned down the offer. Got the cabin level we booked with cabin assignment coming about 5-7 days ( can’t remember exactly) pre cruise date. We made luggage tags at the ship.

FWIW we won’t do a guarantee again.

Never booked a GTY  I like to know where I am sleeping

Got an upsell on a few occaisions  one from a C! to  a B for $100 pp

another was a downsell from a B to C2   declined

I always ask with upsells for the cabin number before accepting

YMMV

• Like 1

Booked a guarantee A1, received A1 on full Christmas voyage through Panama Canal.  Received cabin assignment 2 weeks prior to sailing.  Have also received upsells twice on Christmas Cruises from A2 to Penthouse 2  on Riviera in the past.   Took one for $100 per person above our A2.  

FYI, I would personally only book a guarantee cabin if I was happy with ANY cabin in that category, and no other option available.  I do not believe any TA would swear you to silence on this, it is still up to Oceania to offer the upgrade, or upsell if available.      

Booked my first guarantee in May for a Panama Canal cruise this month. Booked a B2 guarantee.

One month and one day before sailing, was a signed a B1, but wasn't thrilled with cabin (connecting door, over lounge), but thems the breaks.

About 2 hrs later my wonderful TA, who knows I LOVE aft cabins, called, and offered me an A1 aft view cabin for $400 CAD each. An aft cabin for a Canal cruise, how wonderful!!! Plus 2 more specialties! I wouldn't have paid to go to any other A cabin.

We just got back from a Bermuda 7 day cruise, and had booked a C2 guarantee.  About a week before, we got an upsell offer to a veranda for $350pp.  We declined and were assigned a C2 cabin a few days before leaving.  At the time we booked, there was nothing else available at a price point within our budget, so it worked out fine for that purpose.  

We had booked two cruises about 11 months out that were back to back - Chile to Papeete 18 day and Papeete to Papeete 10 day (January 2019).   We wanted a ocean view and the first cruise in that category had all been booked so we took the guarantee and we ended up with a balcony.  We never knew our cabin number until we boarded the ship.  The second cruise  we were able to get the cabin we wanted .  We obviously had to move cabins after the first cruise - but our cabin steward did this for us.  We had to pack everything up but it was no big deal.

4 hours ago, shank63 said:

I like to bring aboard a few bottles of nice wines, packed in checked luggage in 

Wineskins, a product available at Total Wine and others.  I’ve done this on 3 cruises with no problems.

Mistake? Might have the wrong board for this ???

Booked a last minute cruise on Riviera a few years ago in a gty ocean and we were allocated a B4 veranda cabin 2 days before we sailed.

Never been offered an upsell but we usually  book a veranda cabin in a location we know we will be satisfied with.

7 hours ago, bigmjh said:

I meant that this thread was started by OP as "Guarantee booking end result" and Shank63's post was probably(?) meant for the "Alcohol in Checked Luggage or Carry On?" thread started by ricka47

Yes I agree that it was in the wrong forum 

I took your post to be about the wineskins

sorry

On 9/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, GICNJC said:

I am looking to fully understanding Oceania history regarding guaranteed bookings and to share with others on the Oceania board.

So if you had a guaranteed booking can you share with us the outcome.

Please indicate both what you booked in and what the outcome was.  Please, if you were offered an up or down grade, and/or a payment to/or from Oceania, also mention that.

I, and many others thank you for your input.

Had a terrific experience booking an inside guarantee for Papeete- Hawaii-LA April 2018 but all because of my TA. The cruise was lightly traveled maybe 2/3 capacity. Was initially offered $500pp upsell to an outside. Ha, ha ha- who'd agree to that? Then two weeks before the cruise agreed to a $250 upsell to a B2. Three days before the cruise my amazing TA wrangled an aft A2 FOR FREE. Incredible Tahiti-Hawaii cruise!

But doing it again. Papeete-Hawaii-SF April 2020 and booked an inside guarantee but no way do we expect a similar turn. The cruise looks like it's selling better or else there's a group. I'm sure we'll end up with an inside unless a balcony upsell is offered at reasonably. I'm good with whatever. Just happy on any O ship wherever I wind up.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, shank63 said:

I like to bring aboard a few bottles of nice wines, packed in checked luggage in 

Wineskins, a product available at Total Wine and others.  I’ve done this on 3 cruises with no problems.

What does this have to to with guarantee cabins?

We have a B1 Guarantee on the Insignia sailing 10/12/19.  I wouldn't mind an up sell if they contact me but any B1 on the ship appears to be in a pretty good location.  So, we'll be OK with whatever we get.  It's less than 30 days and no assignment yet.

13 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

We have a B1 Guarantee on the Insignia sailing 10/12/19.  I wouldn't mind an up sell if they contact me but any B1 on the ship appears to be in a pretty good location.  So, we'll be OK with whatever we get.  It's less than 30 days and no assignment yet.

Have you looked at your Oceania Account Online?  Sometimes the room assignment appears there, first.  😃

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share what I have learned to date.  The research includes both guarantee and offered upsales.

The first offer is made around 6 to 4 weeks before the cruise starts.  It is usually close to raising your cost to the differential to cruise only price for the offered cabin.

The final offer is made roughly 2 weeks before departure.   The offer runs between 600 to 400.  To what makes no sense as it can run from 2 to 9 category upgrade.

Thanks to those who shared.  If others provide their experiences I will enter their info into my spreadsheet.   Info reqirements:

Cruise length

# days before start of cruise

Booked cabin 

Offered cabin

Offer $

Ship name

# of levels of uparade

We are just about two weeks out now and earlier this week were offered an upgrade from a B1 GTY to a concierge cabin for $400 total on an 11-night Insignia cruise.  I didn't accept it as the value just wasn't there fro the money.