Currently on Infinity - very weird poolside music

DYKWIA

Currently approaching the end of a very good 12 night cruise on Infinity, sailing from Venice to Barcelona.

Something is bugging me, I can’t figure it out. The poolside music they play from about 6 am until late in the evening, when no other entertainment is featured, is very strange.  They seem to have a playlist of only about 15 songs which are played on “random” meaning you sometimes get the same song twice or even three times in 15 minutes. No one from Celebrity seems any the wiser or to care.  

We had this for about a week, now, all of a sudden we have exactly the same playlist but someone has turned the speed down by 15% on all the same tracks (female vocalists sound male, male vocalists sound like Barry White) I have no idea why and requests to play the songs (which sound very strange) at the right speed are ignored - If they think we can’t tell they’re playing the same Lisa Stansfield, The Police, Empire of the Sun (etc) songs but slower they are wrong.

for the life of me I don’t understand why they seem to have such a ridiculously small play list of songs

I would take that over the reggae and the bad tv that they play on RCCL. Interested in how you like the food and service on Celebrity? We are considering trying them for the firs time next year. Can't decide on Edge out of Florida or try them for European.

Our fourth cruise on Celebrity - first time on a Millennium class ship.  Food in the MDR has been excellent , wide variety of Veg and extra available - we reckon best of our 4 Cruises with Celebrity  in the last 5 years. Food in the buffet not so good and layout on the Millennium class ships is poor c.w. solstice class.

like the smaller size of the Millennium class but prefer look and style of Solstice class. Edge class doesn’t appeal at the moment.

We noticed a very small playlist in the buffet on our latest Celebrity cruises (Eclipse, Reflection, and Constellation). We joked that it was their way to try to get us out of there faster to open up tables.

We didn't have a speed issue, however. I hope they get that fixed soon.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Wrong speed or too much to drink??:classic_biggrin:

Wrong speed - same again today. Unbelievably sloppy or someone hoping we don’t recognise that they are playing the same playlist - beyond me how no one at Celebrity has noticed - poor standards,

you better like Bruno Mars as well that seems to be the only track in the theatre 

.....otherwise great cruise!

1 hour ago, marshabear said:

We are on the Oct 11 sailing too....between the CD's crazy pool games and hearing this about the deck music, we may avoid the pool deck!  😞

Crazy pool games ONLY on sea days. Not our thing at all and tha Turkish Activity Manager was very loud , but it didn’t last long 

Edited by DYKWIA

2 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Wrong speed - same again today. Unbelievably sloppy or someone hoping we don’t recognise that they are playing the same playlist - beyond me how no one at Celebrity has noticed - poor standards,

you better like Bruno Mars as well that seems to be the only track in the theatre 

.....otherwise great cruise!

Ugh, Did folks report this to CD or guest rel?

We suffered a few yrs ago when they refused to tone it down even early in the day or at least vary the endless techno loop that plagued the entire ship...inside and out and even in the dining rms.  Told us it was direction from Miami...

We go  out to the pool very early if using the outdoor pool,....with hopes of quiet enjoyment...Then we vacate the area when the stupidity starts!  Hope to avoid this type of  atmosphere on EDGE!

Keep us posted

Why they have to play music of whatever kind in the first place is beyond me! Not only by the pool - all over the place- very disturbing. Would it be so bad if no music at all would be played, neither inside the ship nor outside. We - those who thing the same should start a petition. LOL!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Why they have to play music of whatever kind in the first place is beyond me! Not only by the pool - all over the place- very disturbing. Would it be so bad if no music at all would be played, neither inside the ship nor outside. We - those who thing the same should start a petition. LOL!

Germancruiser, I'm not sure about Germany but in the USA, music is played as background noise almost everywhere.  I think we are so used to it we hardly notice it most places.  Markets, stores, malls, even some office environments like a doctor's office.  But it is not generally the loud and obnoxious type.  And it is played at the correct speed too! Many places now just tune to a mellow mix on a satellite radio channel.  I enjoy Celebrity over other cruise lines since it is mostly toned down with few announcements.  But I do expect to hear music by the pool on most days- whether it is to my liking or not.  Many people sit out there with ear buds and listen to exactly what they prefer.

2 hours ago, marshabear said:

Crazy pool games ONLY on sea days?  Just great, we have 7 sea days in a row on the TA!! UGH

It has been reported that the CD is the one initiating  the pool games and such.....so now what?

Marsha

The CD was someone called Luigi.  Didn't see him about too much, but didn't go on the lookout for him either.  One of his Activity managers (chap from Turkey) did a lot of the pool stuff, nice enough chap but very very loud on the microphone.

There were No belly flop contests!

Re the music - not exactly "First World Problems" IMO (as suggested by someone earlier)  To hear the same very small playlist of repetitive music for 12 days is not what we expect. I have a music collection of over 45000 records of all genres, so enjoy music.  Some subtle background music adds to our enjoyment.

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 1

The background issue is annoying on Celebrity and some other mass market cruise lines.  What is interesting is what happens when you move up a few notches to a luxury cruise line.  Yes, you do pay more money (….perhaps not more then many Edge cabins) but what you get is a lot more quiet around the pool and ship.  When background music is played it is relatively quiet.  And PA announcements are generally limited to a single noon broadcast.  Makes one wonder why mass market lines think folks want to hear bad music blasting day and night.  We are now in the era of personal devices where many music lovers prefer to enjoy their own music via earbuds or headphones.  That is nearly impossible on some cruise ships with all the background "noise."

Hank

• Like 1