Royal Caribbean is committing $1 million to Dorian disaster relief

Tony O

1 minute ago, fletch1027 said:

That's good - but the cynic in me assumes RCI will somehow pass along that million on to us... 🤔

They've done the same in the past four other areas that have differed hurricane damage: Sint Maarten, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas etc.  There is a fund in place for exactly this purpose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

I knew it would be instantaneous that someone would find a way to backlash the report into a slam. 

Sad.

I was thinking more along along the lines of $1,000,000 okay....that will take care of 1 square mile somewhere in Grand Bahama........   The scale of what has happened is unreal.

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And why shouldn’t it?  Where do you want the money to come from?

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, but there is a difference between taking a million out of the net profit as opposed to raising prices even more to "cover" a million dollar donation...  

• Like 3

Just now, fletch1027 said:

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, but there is a difference between taking a million out of the net profit as opposed to raising prices even more to "cover" a million dollar donation...  

I wasn’t aware Royal raised funds other than through cruise fares (including all the extras that go with it). Do you have another source?

10 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

You think this is a good thread for that?

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wasn’t aware Royal raised funds other than through cruise fares (including all the extras that go with it). Do you have another source?

Again, I don't want to go back and forth about this because my original comment was a joke based on how much more expensive things have gotten lately, so this will be my last comment about it. Apologies if what I said offended anyone - it was meant as a joke...

I don't think I mentioned another source of revenue - what I said was that there is a difference between using existing profits to donate as opposed to raising prices even more to cover a donation.

I'm not accusing them of doing that - but when I see things like cabanas go from $499 to $1,299 it does open RCI up to jokes about sticking it to the customers... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

That's good - but the cynic in me assumes RCI will somehow pass along that million on to us... 🤔

I realize you said this as a joke, and that's the way I took it.  However, people sometimes speak as if Royal's prices are directly related to costs.  Royal's prices are based on what the market will bear.   If other cruise lines raise prices, Royal will raise prices.  If Royal sells out all the cabanas for $1300, that tells them the price is not high enough. Their profit is around 5 million each day, so about I think we've already paid that million.😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Grand Bahamas has a very large ship yard where ships are dry docked. I think all the cruise lines have a big interest in this area. Carnival is actually has plans to redevelop Freeport. 

They should all commit money money for this but $1-2 million is not so much in the larger picture for these companies as they give large amounts of money to all these area to dock their ship and fix them in their ship yards.  

Prayers  to the people who are suffering there now. I hope some of this money helps them and is not caught up in the corrupt governments that lead all these islands. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

1 Million.   That's it?

I heard NCL & Carnival are donating over 2 million each...

???? Where is this from???

While Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line have not announced a dollar amount on what they will be donating, the company has pledged to work with the Bahamian government as they determine the highest priorities for both the short term and long term.

The Walt Disney Company, led by Disney Cruise Line, has committed more than $1 million in cash and in-kind support to help relief and recovery efforts for those in The Bahamas affected by Hurricane Dorian.

And there is no information re NCL at this time.

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Whether RC would raise prices to cover it or not, it is axiomatic that any money it gives will reduce net profits. If a price rise is kept, profits would be up. If that amount is donated, profits go down.

I'm a stockholder, but there are things in life more important than profits.  This is one of them!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kuddles14 said:

If you read the entire article, I believe Royal  is matching dollar for dollar and donations that we make to this fund also. Then there is a link you can click onto and make your donation. 

Royal is matching donations made through PADF - use the link to ensure that the donation goes to the RCI Bahamas campaign.

• Like 3