Worst cabin experience - NCL Joy 14-511

dbregman

I feel the need to write about my family’s experience aboard the Norwegian Joy sailing from Seattle in June .  My wife and I took a Norwegian cruise for our honeymoon in 1998 and really enjoyed it. We thought it would be great to take Norwegian again, this time with the kids, for our 21st wedding anniversary as well as my wife’s 50th birthday.

I specifically choose the Joy because of the Concierge Family Room. I liked the idea of a two-bedroom two-bath cabin with a living room where we could play games and watch movies as a family.  We have cruised before (on other lines) in multiple cabins, and I did not like the lack of a common area or the fact that we were sometimes in different areas of the ship.

The layout of the cabin (14-511) is perfect. It was all we hoped for. When planning I looked at the deck plan and saw that the cabin was under the Observation Lounge, so I figured that the noise would be limited to prime wildlife and glacier viewing times.  Boy was I wrong.

What I did not discern from the deck plan is that cabin 14-511 is DIRECTLY beneath a kitchen located between the observation lounge public areas. The noise generated from rolling carts, banging and dropped items makes the master bedroom in the cabin uninhabitable until 12:30am and from 3:30am on.  The noise is less in the living room and smaller bedroom, but still noticeable.  The noise subsides around 12:30am and then restarts at 3:30am. I can only imagine it is the dinner team finishing and then the morning team prepping for the next day. When a loaded rolling cart goes overhead it sounds like a jet plane landing on your head.

The first night I thought the noise might be a departure fluke. When I was awaked the second night, I knew it was an issue. I spoke to someone at the front desk and they said they would investigate it and to call if I had an issue again.  That night at around 11:30 the noise was unbearable, and I called the front desk. They sent our concierge, Reynaldo Villazor, to speak with us. He heard the noise and stated he would speak to the kitchen staff (again) to see about reducing the noise.  At around 3:30am the noise woke my wife and me up, so I called again. This time the front desk moved the two of us to a small inside cabin, so we could sleep for the night.  

The next morning, I spoke to Jalynne the Assistant Manager to express our dissatisfaction with the arrangements. She stated she would work on it and either Reynaldo or she would get back to us that afternoon.  I checked again around 5pm and they said they would give us a larger room to sleep in. We were given room 5908 (category O1), a family stateroom.

We appreciate the responsiveness of Reynaldo and Jalynne to get us a room so my wife and I could sleep at night. The fact is though that I paid for a Concierge Family Suite (category CF), specifically so we could have the family together. My wife and I ended up having to traipse across the ship – about as far as one could go, in order to sleep at night. The kids said they could bear the noise, because they did not want the inconvenience of sleeping somewhere else on the ship.

I realize this is a newly refurbished ship and perhaps the layout before did not cause the potion of the kitchen to be directly above this stateroom. Regardless, Norwegian should not book this room in future as they will get complaints from every guest.

I ran into Martin, the General Manager, and mentioned the issue to him. He said he was aware of the issue and that the shipboard team had made corporate aware of the situation. The shipboard team was kind enough to give us a complementary dinner in a specialty restaurant and a small, $200 on board credit.  While my we appreciate the gesture, it does not make up for the fact that I paid extra for a stateroom where, ultimately my wife and I could not sleep. I delayed sending this note as I had hoped the effort undertaken by the shipboard team would result in Norwegian reaching out to me proactively, but since this did not happen, I felt the need to escalate the issue.

I filled out the Guest Relations form online on July 3rd - I wanted to give them time to get back to me. the auto generated email stated that I would hear back in 15 days. Crickets. I sent another request on August 6th the the same lack of response. 

My wife and I have cruised close to 20 times and I will not cruise with NCL again, nor ever recommend them to anyone based on this experience.

As a super light sleeper...I feel for you.

In looking at the deck plans the observation lounge seems to be all the way forward. 

The area above your cabin is just "white"....which means anything could be there.

A lot of times people will say....I booked cabin XXX and on the deck plans it showed a white space next to it.  Turns out that white space was utility area...or some other space....used for the stewards storage etc....and very noisy.

I had this issue in May on Ovation of the Seas.

Next to me was white space for room service and stairs. First two nights I heard clanging and banging and vacuuming too.

I put in a complaint to guest services.

The noise was greatly reduced and I got chocolate covered strawberries in room.

I think overall the crew in some areas talk loud while working and they make lots of noise because they have to work fast.

BE CAREFUL WHEN selecting room next to or above or below WHITE SPACE.

• Thanks 1

Sounds to me that NCL was pretty darn accommodating and sorry. Many ships as you well know have cabins under/over galleys or other spots that are noisy. they are avoided by many but it doesn't stop the lines from selling the cabins. We always travel with a tiny $30 white noise speaker and it drowns out just about anything. I can't sleep in dead silence. What is it you want? All your money back? Not going to happen nor is it warranted if that's what you seek. I mean, the next people may have had no complaints and slept fine. It was a bad cabin, and they are on every ship. They gave you another cabin (rare) to sleep in trying to help was a very nice gesture and you're only going to sleep there nothing more. They gave you $200 OBC and a dinner. It was a bad sleeping experience but that's about it. You don't deserve anything more above what they did to help. To say you'd never recommend them over this means nothing ..... 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Sounds to me that NCL was pretty darn accommodating and sorry. Many ships as you well know have cabins under/over galleys or other spots that are noisy. they are avoided by many but it doesn't stop the lines from selling the cabins. We always travel with a tiny $30 white noise speaker and it drowns out just about anything. I can't sleep in dead silence. What is it you want? All your money back? Not going to happen nor is it warranted if that's what you seek. I mean, the next people may have had no complaints and slept fine. It was a bad cabin, and they are on every ship. They gave you another cabin (rare) to sleep in trying to help was a very nice gesture and you're only going to sleep there nothing more. They gave you $200 OBC and a dinner. It was a bad sleeping experience but that's about it. You don't deserve anything more above what they did to help. To say you'd never recommend them over this means nothing ..... 

Nope.  NCL knows this is a huge ongoing issue yet continues to sell the cabin to unknowing customers.  If NCL was pretty darn accommodating, they would stop selling the room or issue a warning to anyone booking it.  $200 dollars and a dinner for that inconvenience?  Are you kidding?

• Like 6

Sounds like you did as much as you could.  People here normally say...you should have handled it onboard.  Sounds like you did.

Now some fault you still for having issue likely unknown to you before you went and you checked as best as you could.

Crickets from Miami not  unusual.  Only possible change IMO is maybe lowering of category and prices to entice others.

I didn't see what your specific request was from Miami though.

It always amazes me when someone can find CC when they want to gripe, but never bother to read or comment on issue otherwise. OP, not being a heavy sleeper myself I feel for you, but as someone who has cruised for many years, I know there are always cabins that are more noisy than others. I don't know what can be done about it. BTW, if you had this experience in June, I have to wonder why, 3 months later you are posting it?

For what it's worth - I don't think the cabin/OL/galley orientation changed during the "renovations" so I don't think this is something new.  Oddly enough, a search for "Norwegian Joy cabin 14511 noise complaint" returns nothing.  The makeover was more to "Americanize" the ship after the failed Asian experiment with it (Joy was originally built for the Asian market).

In speaking with some of my fellow Studio occupants on the Bliss (similar, except the CF cabin area is filled with 100 sq. ft. Studio cabins) in April - there were similar complaints about the crew space used for bringing provisions to the small galley area in the Studio lounge on that ship.  It's unfortunate that it happens, but it does.  The construction of the ship (steel) makes it difficult to isolate those kinds of noises from adjoining spaces.

53 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

. BTW, if you had this experience in June, I have to wonder why, 3 months later you are posting it?

Had to catch up on his sleep.  Been on 18 cruises, never booked without knowing what was above me and below me.  So far, no noise.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

It always amazes me when someone can find CC when they want to gripe, but never bother to read or comment on issue otherwise. OP, not being a heavy sleeper myself I feel for you, but as someone who has cruised for many years, I know there are always cabins that are more noisy than others. I don't know what can be done about it. BTW, if you had this experience in June, I have to wonder why, 3 months later you are posting it?

I don't find it surprising at all.  When you pay big bucks for a vacation and it doesn't go well you want others to know about it.  Human nature is what it is.  I want to hear about negative experiences and I don't consider it griping, whining or complaining.

I think when a cruise ship is built and there will be a noisy venue above or below a passenger cabin, extra sound dampening materials should be used above or below those cabins to provide a quieter environment for passengers.

Back in 2011 I had a hassle with my trip insurance.  After 4 months of fighting with that company I went online and found every possible travel forum I could to write about my negative experience.  I was a first time poster on most of those forums.  It took two more months of war with that company but I was finally reimbursed.  When things don't go the way a person thinks it should, it's human nature to want to tell your story and warn others.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I don't know what can be done about it. BTW, if you had this experience in June, I have to wonder why, 3 months later you are posting it?

I believe OP said they were waiting for a resolution from corporate before posting.  At this point there is noting more that NCL will do for them. But to your statement regarding what can be done about it...IMO, NCL can put a noise warning on this stateroom much like they do for obstructed views, so that future pax book the room with eyes wide open to the possibility of noise.  IF NCL is aware of an ongoing problem with this stateroom and nothing can be done structurally to fix the issue, then they should advertise the issues so people aren't blindsided.

• Like 2

"The shipboard team was kind enough to give us a complementary dinner in a specialty restaurant and a small, $200 on board credit."

NCL recognized the issue and offered compensation...which you accepted. They will view the issue as closed. You only get one bite at the apple. When you are offered ANY sort of compensation, if you feel the offer is not enough, then you should not accept it. Tell them that you think they need to offer more and escalate it from there. Do not accept an offer that is not sufficient. You can't just keep asking for more and more from different people in the company.

"I delayed sending this note as I had hoped the effort undertaken by the shipboard team would result in Norwegian reaching out to me proactively, but since this did not happen, I felt the need to escalate the issue."

No need for them to reach out to you proactively as again, they would consider the issue closed. If you do complain, they will check with the ship to see what happened, the ship will inform them that they noted the complaint and compensation was offered and accepted. The corporate office will then close the file. They aren't going to entertain anyone who has already been compensated with additional compensation.

"My wife and I have cruised close to 20 times and I will not cruise with NCL again, nor ever recommend them to anyone based on this experience."

Once you make that statement, you lose all leverage. There is no need for them to devote any further time or effort based on that statement. Better to cut their losses and move on to other current and potential future customers.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mr Smarty said:

be careful selecting your cabin from now on!

I'm always "careful" when I select a cabin but you don't know what you don't know a lot of times until it's after the fact.  For instance, I didn't know, until reading this thread, that white space on a deck plan usually means it's a crew area of some sort.  It's not marked on the deck plan so if you didn't know, how could you be more careful?  Additionally, if that particular cabin is situated in a noisy location, so much so, that someone may request to be relocated so they can sleep, I think NCL should at least make a note of it somewhere so that people can be "careful" in their selection.  JMO

• Like 3

I see some positives in this.

"The kids"....because NCL allowed them to be alone in the cabin....are probably not that young.

They may have preferred "their own cabin" to playing board games and watching movies with mom and dad.

And mom and dad could celebrate their "21st" in privacy.

In thinking about it....the NCL solution seems like it was a win/win.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Once you make that statement, you lose all leverage. There is no need for them to devote any further time or effort based on that statement. Better to cut their losses and move on to other current and potential future customers.

That's a very good point!  Usually statements like that are made out of frustration when one feels like a situation didn't go their way.  I don't really have an opinion about what NCL did to try and compensate except to say that it is more than I've heard being done for others who appeared to have more dire situations...which really begs the question about NCL's level of consistency with customer relations...but that's another thread.  So the BEST outcome is to be completely transparent (NCL) about possible issues with certain cabins so people don't feel duped.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Has anyone ever seen any cruise line warning about "noise issues" for any cabin (like obstructed views)?

I've never seen any...but I think they should.  I've been able to find reviews on most cabins before booking them but sometimes they are not available.  We booked cabin 15100 on Breakaway last year and I couldn't find a single review regarding noise even though on the deck plan it appeared that there was an open space between that room and the salt room in the thermal suite.  I had no idea what was behind that wall but took a gamble and hoped for the best.  Turns out it was just dead space on that ship, (it's a Haven Deluxe Spa suite) on the Escape...but it could have very easily been a crew area.  

• Like 1

in our 10 years cruising with NCL the only time we have had a bad experience with our Cabin was in 2011  on the NCL Jewel. The ship was full and we had an inside cabin, half way through our cruise our Stateroom started smelling like sewage. We complained and complained and they were never able to fix it and did not move us to another location. In fact, walking through the deck every single corner of it smelled like sewage, it was miserable. One bad experience does not mean we wont ever go on NCL again, things happen. I guess that's just us.

Edited by spanishguy1970
change the date it was 2011 not 5 years ago

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I believe OP said they were waiting for a resolution from corporate before posting.  At this point there is noting more that NCL will do for them. But to your statement regarding what can be done about it...IMO, NCL can put a noise warning on this stateroom much like they do for obstructed views, so that future pax book the room with eyes wide open to the possibility of noise.  IF NCL is aware of an ongoing problem with this stateroom and nothing can be done structurally to fix the issue, then they should advertise the issues so people aren't blindsided.

You are right, he did. I do not agree the cruise line, regardless of the line is going to advise the passenger of the problem as this could open up a can of worms. There are many cabins on all ships that are not as desirable as other cabins, especially when it come to noise. We have had a few of them and generally it has been due to not checking ahead of time. 

10 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

in our 10 years cruising with NCL the only time we have had a bad experience with our Cabin was in 2011  on the NCL Jewel. The ship was full and we had an inside cabin, half way through our cruise our Stateroom started smelling like sewage. We complained and complained and they were never able to fix it and did not move us to another location. In fact, walking through the deck every single corner of it smelled like sewage, it was miserable. One bad experience does not mean we wont ever go on NCL again, things happen. I guess that's just us.

This would be very unpleasant for any of us. I am glad you were able to put it behind you. I have heard of that problem before and feel so sorry for anyone that has to put up with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April42749 said:

Has anyone ever seen any cruise line warning about "noise issues" for any cabin (like obstructed views)?

Some people find this out the hard way when their bid for upgrades is accepted.  Going from a balcony cabin in a preferred location to a mini-suite directly below the kids clubs, for example.