How would you compare Celebrity to NCL?

misguy

13 minutes ago, mafig said:

I think you're pushing it a bit.🤔

Haven has its own restaurant, butler, concierge.  Ship within a ship section.

We love Celebrity, but even Celebrity's suites cannot match Haven.

New celebrity ships have same thing, Edge has private pool  for suites, celebrity suite restaurant is great . I have a royal suite coming up over 500 sq ft with huge balcony with hot tub. All suites have butler.

1 minute ago, George C said:

New celebrity ships have same thing, Edge has private pool  for suites, celebrity suite restaurant is great . I have a royal suite coming up over 500 sq ft with huge balcony with hot tub. All suites have butler.

OMG, Lucky you!  Can't wait for your review.

However, the post I was responding to inferred that the general X cruise area was equal to the Haven.

27 minutes ago, mafig said:

OMG, Lucky you!  Can't wait for your review.

However, the post I was responding to inferred that the general X cruise area was equal to the Haven.

I just wanted the add celebrity suite perks , there been a few posts on how Haven match’s against msc yacht club also which is our next cruise. Had a few bad experience years ago on ncl so we avoid them.

57 minutes ago, mafig said:

I think you're pushing it a bit.🤔

Haven has its own restaurant, butler, concierge.  Ship within a ship section.

We love Celebrity, but even Celebrity's suites cannot match Haven.

Just my opinion, not pushing it.

We cruise AQ so we also have a special restaurant. I didn’t like the ship within ship concept at all and rather cruise on ships which have the exclusive ambiance on the entire ship. The huge areas off limits to others (on Escape) were too much of a two class system to me and the rest of NCL was to much action and party for me.

Edited by Miaminice

17 minutes ago, George C said:

I just wanted the add celebrity suite perks , there been a few posts on how Haven match’s against msc yacht club also which is our next cruise. Had a few bad experience years ago on ncl so we avoid them.

We've been in the YC twice on Divina and Seaside.  Are considering Meraviglia.  We really like MSC.  Which ship are you going on?  when?

47 minutes ago, mafig said:

We've been in the YC twice on Divina and Seaside.  Are considering Meraviglia.  We really like MSC.  Which ship are you going on?  when?

We are on seaside Yacht Club on 11/30 our first YC did Msc decade or so ago on old Melody. Our royal suite is a music charter in February on infinity, live music from 2 to 2am great 70’s groups like America. 

Glad to see this is being discussed as I have been wondering the same thing.  I have done 3 NCL cruises in a row, the last being on the Bliss last month in Alaska. I loved that ship, but disappointed in the food and feel it’s time for a change. The Edge captured me ever since I heard about it and follows the build.  I finally want to book a trip to Europe for next summer and The Apex seems like the perfect opportunity.

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I didn’t like the ship within ship concept at all and rather cruise on ships which have the exclusive ambiance on the entire ship. The huge areas off limits to others (on Escape) were too much of a two class system to me

The smaller NCL ships, including the Jewel class ships, have very small Haven areas and no dedicated Haven restaurant. On those ships, I’ve never felt a two-class system. But we are on the recently-“revolutionized” Summit right now, and I really feel that Celebrity has moved to a two-class system. When you take the only forward-facing outdoor deck and turn it into a sun deck reserved exclusively for suite passengers, so that no one else has access to that desirable space, it feels like a class system to me.   I really do love Celebrity, but I am not a fan of what X is doing in this regard. 

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

But we are on the recently-“revolutionized” Summit right now, and I really feel that Celebrity has moved to a two-class system. 

The area reserved for suites is very small compared to the huge shut off area on ships like Escape. 
Plus, Breakaway class feels overcrowded anyway due to the huge areas reserved by rope course, Margaritaville etc.
Taking away large areas on ships already overcrowded is a big difference IMHO to "taking away" a small area on ships which otherwise still offer enough room to roam. 

I have experienced it on both ships / lines and never felt the same two class feeling on Celebrity. And I felt that way although I had access to Haven on NCL Escape.

27 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Taking away large areas on ships already overcrowded is a big difference IMHO to "taking away" a small area on ships which otherwise still offer enough room to roam. 

Not all areas on ships are comparable. When you take away access to the only forward-facing outdoor deck, that’s it.  If, for example, you are a photographer who likes to be on that deck for sail aways and sail-ins, or sunsets on a westbound TA, etc., there’s no alternative. It’s prime space, and now it’s denied to all but suite guests.  I’m just stating my personal feeling about this, and the fact that I don’t like that this is the direction Celebrity has chosen. 

As for NCL’s mega ships like the Escape, I have no interest in them. 

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That it one thing we can agree on... I was invited on a pre-maiden voyage 3 day cruise on Escape which was for press and TAs only. That way I was able to test every area and every venue of the ship. It was a pretty cool experience.

I liked the interieur design but, as mentioned, really did not like the separation of the huge Haven areas. Even though it was just a cruise for a selected group and we had access to all areas, the ship and the decks felt crowded already. I wouldn´t want to experience it on a regular cruise to sunny areas.

Edited by Miaminice

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We tried Breakaway and decided that we won't be sailing on there large ships.

Dawn & Gem classes only.

Waterfront was great on B class, but pools are not adequate for such crowds.

We like large ships of Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity etc, but not NCL.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:00 AM, awhfy said:

Exactly what Miaminice said. It’s the ambiance. NCL has better entertainment, Celebrity has better perks (included gratuity in drink packages)

Haven food imo blows everything away on X except Murano which is excellent.  That being said Haven is ridiculously priced.

Opinions, everyone has one. We are Elite+ on X. We cruise many cruise lines. Each has their pluses and minuses. Ask this question on NCL and you will get a different answer. 

NCL is very casual. Great food. Excellent entertainment.

X is now casual compare to a couple years ago. X seems to charge more than the other main  lines. 

Each offer a good product. 

Your money, your choice. We cruise both and like both. 

So,  read each post and take with a grain of sea salt. LOL

I've cruised on many other lines (including many on NCL) and just tried Celebrity for a 14 day brb a few weeks ago.  I jotted down some of my initial impressions of Celebrity.  You might find it helpful.  Overall, while there are a few things I think NCL does better, I loved Celebrity and she's my new favorite (at least for now).  Give it a try!  https://profcruise.com/prof-cruises-first-impressions-of-celebrity/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProfCruise said:

I've cruised on many other lines (including many on NCL) and just tried Celebrity for a 14 day brb a few weeks ago.  I jotted down some of my initial impressions of Celebrity.  You might find it helpful.  Overall, while there are a few things I think NCL does better, I loved Celebrity and she's my new favorite (at least for now).  Give it a try!  https://profcruise.com/prof-cruises-first-impressions-of-celebrity/

Enjoying your blog. Home there is more to come. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, Joeghartman said:

Glad to see this is being discussed as I have been wondering the same thing.  I have done 3 NCL cruises in a row, the last being on the Bliss last month in Alaska. I loved that ship, but disappointed in the food and feel it’s time for a change. The Edge captured me ever since I heard about it and follows the build.  I finally want to book a trip to Europe for next summer and The Apex seems like the perfect opportunity.

I thought the quality of the food on X was better but found fewer menu items that I liked compared to NCL.  That's a matter of personal tastes.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:47 PM, misguy said:

I am not sure yet, I am a last minute cruise shopper looking for deals, but I want to understand the differences, most of your posts have been really helpful.  I was on the Breakaway in January and loved the entertainment, in particular Syd Norman's(Think 80s, 90s Rock.) and we love Dueling Pianos.  We were on the Jewel in Alaska, and didn't go to many events, traveling with our GD and usuall worn out after the day.

What Celebrity lacks in entertainment it makes up for in food, service and ambiance . Those are the stand out differences for me.