MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, K.T.B. said:

One should always remove their hat when dining anyway, even if you're at a McDonald's....   It's just common courtesy.  :classic_smile:

Oh I wear it in Micky D's. Have to keep the flies of some how. Normally that would be a joke, but a few times it was the case!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Hard to break old habits isn't it? :classic_laugh:

How about instead of a passive aggressive mockery, you either thank them for their service or kindly not say a blasted thing. This is someone who defended our country that you are sticking your barbs at. NOT COOL!😠

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, jwattle said:

How about instead of a passive aggressive mockery, you either thank them for their service or kindly not say a blasted thing. This is someone who defended our country that you are sticking your barbs at. NOT COOL!😠

Oh I get it. We're not supposed to make comments unless they agree with what the majority believes to be correct. Anything else is perceived to be mockery. 

This board provides an outlet for everyone's views on the subject being discussed and if it's not a personal attack against a person there shouldn't be any reason why a person can't disagree. It certainly wasn't meant to be derogatory towards his service. 

14 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I am throwing out a thought of mind to see what all of you might think.  Two things that I have noticed over the 50 years I have been taking cruises.  The way PAX are dressing (more relaxed) and the type of food served.  I am wondering if there is any correlation between the two.  Now, for a while there is meatloaf, mac and cheese and hamburger/sandwiches  served in the main dinning room for either lunch or dinner.  I see a more casual dressing going along a more casual dinning.  What do you think?

So you don't really think it has to do with the fact that the cruise line it trying to keep costs in check with the every increases in food? 

If what you say holde to be true then if we all begin to dress up for dinner every night then we can expect the food to improve tremendously. 

I sort of doubt if anything the public does will have much of an impact on food quality unless the future booking falls off. 

• Administrators

Hi Folks:

Many of you have reached out about some of the comments in this thread. Now, it is normally NOT our policy for me to head over and post something like this. 

The discussion of dining attire seems to trigger the best and worst in many of us.   I would ask....politely at this time....that the discussion remain about the topic and NOT THE PERSON DOING THE POSTING.   This is easy to do.  Re-read what you are posting before pressing the button.  Ask yourself:  is this post on topic?  Did I refer to other posters in the thread in any way?  How many times did I use the word "you" when I've quoted another member's posting?

Let's keep it on an even keel.  (get it??)  If that isn't possible, then don't post on these topics.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Laura

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So you don't really think it has to do with the fact that the cruise line it trying to keep costs in check with the every increases in food? 

If what you say holde to be true then if we all begin to dress up for dinner every night then we can expect the food to improve tremendously. 

I sort of doubt if anything the public does will have much of an impact on food quality unless the future booking falls off. 

In the past 40 plus years that I have been cruising, cost was always a factor with food choices that a cruise line makes.  But over the years with more relax the PAX are dressing the food has gone the same way.  Could the cruise line be playing to their audience, thinking that PAX would be happy with less.  I am not saying that it would be right, but maybe that is what they think is now wanted.

Would dressing up for dinner change anything.  Well, I don't have another 40 years to see the change happen.

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Could the cruise line be playing to their audience, thinking that PAX would be happy with less.

I'm sure it's been a consideration to see just how they can go before losing to many of their dedicated cruisers. Even with some of the major cutback items it's yet to deter us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

In the past 40 plus years that I have been cruising, cost was always a factor with food choices that a cruise line makes.  But over the years with more relax the PAX are dressing the food has gone the same way.  Could the cruise line be playing to their audience, thinking that PAX would be happy with less.  I am not saying that it would be right, but maybe that is what they think is now wanted.

Would dressing up for dinner change anything.  Well, I don't have another 40 years to see the change happen.

I don't believe how we dress has anything to do with the decline in food quality on Princess. In the MDR they do try to serve decent food that often looks appealing. However, the serving sizes, choices and quality of meals have declined as seen by those of us who have been cruising for 20+ years.

Last time in Sabatini's the staff made a point of telling us ALL the food they were serving us was FRESH, not pre made/frozen like we get in the MDR.

And cruise lines know we are willing to pay that extra $29-$39pp to get better quality food---beef, seafood in the Specialty dining rooms.

Re: dress code in the MDR is inconsistently enforced from one ship to another.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, dog said:

I don't believe how we dress has anything to do with the decline in food quality on Princess. In the MDR they do try to serve decent food that often looks appealing. However, the serving sizes, choices and quality of meals have declined as seen by those of us who have been cruising for 20+ years.

Last time in Sabatini's the staff made a point of telling us ALL the food they were serving us was FRESH, not pre made/frozen like we get in the MDR.

And cruise lines know we are willing to pay that extra $29-$39pp to get better quality food---beef, seafood in the Specialty dining rooms.

Re: dress code in the MDR is inconsistently enforced from one ship to another.

Adding to this: casual attire is the norm in the MDR on non formal nights on Princess, as well as, Celebrity, RCL, Holland, and many other cruiselines, these days. I have seen women in capris and long length shorts and men in long length shorts in the MDR at lunch on sea days. And a few at dinner time too.