MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Totally agree.....in all of our cruises we have seen many variations of formal dress in the MDR's on formal night but have never heard another passenger complain about what someone else is wearing whether it is up to dress code or not.....only on CC!!

But the thread is about NON formal nights?   🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Totally agree.....in all of our cruises we have seen many variations of formal dress in the MDR's on formal night but have never heard another passenger complain about what someone else is wearing whether it is up to dress code or not.....only on CC!!

I have, on a cruise around the British Isles.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I think you may have misunderstood my previous post. It's the women who are really stretching it to the limit with wearing shorts, not the men. Not that my DH wearing shorts is all that important for dinner. 

Edit- I suppose you're correct but shouldn't everyone be allowed the same latitude? 

That would satisfy a few of the formalists who do get upset seeing others not dressed to their standards but do you think Princess really cares? 

They have enough to do with just getting people seated & fed without having to worry about where to seat them because of they choice of clothing.

After all is said & done, how many people on the ship really do get upset if there are a small percentage that dress down?  

My point is that some think it’s ok to flaunt the guidelines, but only to the extent that they approve. It’s called hypocrisy. 

Edited by richsea
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, CruisinFunGal said:

I am going on my first cruise next summer. Thank goodness for CruiseCritic, I have learned so much!

These dress code threads are giving me some anxiety. Is there any tension like this on the ships? I plan on following the dress code but I usually prefer to go casual when possible. Should I "up my game" to avoid people confronting me or is this mostly an internet thing and not a problem once on board?

It’s an Internet thing. I’ve been on 6 cruises and only encountered 3 issue Since:

1. People cutting in line to get on a bus.....we all got on!

2. A lady crowding the elevator and running over my toe with her suitcase, I said something and she did not apologize (grrrrr).

3. A man yelling at me for smoking- saying designated areas only- since I was in one, I thought he was joking until he yelled it again- I pointed to the ashtray and he stomped off.

cruising is wonderful and most people are friendly and courteous.  Just like here.  I really wonder why some people have to be so aggressive and rude but try to remind myself that they probably have something going on in their lives.  I try not to bite back, and mostly succeed- but no one is perfect!

29 minutes ago, richsea said:

My point is that some think it’s ok to flaunt the guidelines, but only to the extent that they approve. It’s called hypocrisy. 

Yes but he wan't disapproving of her shorts, he just want an explanation as to why the men weren't allowed the same opportunity. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

dog .... who were they complaining to .. the M'D ?

Their tablemates in specialty restaurant on formal night, very loudly. About a man in long sleeve dress shirt & tie, but no jacket. The complainer was dressed in a tux and said something to a waiter.  Dress code not in effect in specialty restaurants on Princess.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, CruisinFunGal said:

I am going on my first cruise next summer. Thank goodness for CruiseCritic, I have learned so much!

These dress code threads are giving me some anxiety. Is there any tension like this on the ships? I plan on following the dress code but I usually prefer to go casual when possible. Should I "up my game" to avoid people confronting me or is this mostly an internet thing and not a problem once on board?

Enjoy your first cruise, generally if you go with the norms things are fine, generally if you are easy going and don't judge other people even if they don't g o by the norms you will have a good time, generally if you don't let what other say about you, how they look at you, and everything from the internet forums with a big grain of salt ( learn from them, laugh at many posts ), then you will have a GREAT time.

17 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

Perhaps when a new ship gets built, they should include multiple dining rooms for the dress code. One could be “wear what you want”, that way if you picked that dining room, no one would care what you were wearing. Another one could be “formal dress only” that way people who wanted to dress up for dinner every night would not have to worry about what the people dining with them were wearing.

A vacation should be all about enjoying yourself and as long as you are not causing someone physical discomfort, live and let live. Remember there is a reason that they make a lot of different ice cream flavors. You get to choose your own flavor and if you don’t like the others person choice, choose another one for yourself.

They already have that. The dining room for wear what you want is the buffet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes but he wan't disapproving of her shorts, he just want an explanation as to why the men weren't allowed the same opportunity. 

So he was just busting the MDs chops to make a point, he really didn’t care how she was dressed.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

8 minutes ago, richsea said:

So he was just busting the MD's chops to make a point, he really didn’t care how she was dressed.

Women wanted equality with men - which was long overdue and a good thing.  Then shorts should not be allowed for anyone.

I would probably not wear shorts in any case as it is often quite cool in the DR.  Of course if you are from Bermuda, then this is formal business wear:

Image result for bermuda man in dress shorts

1 hour ago, richsea said:

So he was just busting the MDs chops to make a point, he really didn’t care how she was dressed.

Not at all, although he probably would have worn shorts if it was overlooked like it was on our previous CB cruise. 

57 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Women wanted equality with men - which was long overdue and a good thing.  Then shorts should not be allowed for anyone.

I would probably not wear shorts in any case as it is often quite cool in the DR.  Of course if you are from Bermuda, then this is formal business wear:

Ah yes....Bermuda is one of my favorite places on earth, & that is indeed Bermuda formal wear.

I have worn shorts in the MDR, on NCL & Royal Caribbean. When I decided to stop bringing formalwear on cruises, we either went to the buffet or a specialty restaurant where it wasn’t required. As the cruise lines relaxed their their requirements, I try to follow their suggestions, but I really don’t care what anyone else wears to dinner on a cruise, even baseball caps or wife beaters. The food tastes the same regardless of what people wear.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

This is not allowed on most Princess ships for dinner on casual evenings while.....

These jeans are perfectly fine since there are no rips or holes ! 😏

Image result for worn jeans

On 9/9/2019 at 4:53 PM, jondfk said:

In the evening I wear Dockers or something similar and a collared shirt, usually a camp shirt / madras or something similar, always short sleeves.  A pair of casual loafers and I'm all set.  For formal nights I swap out the short sleeve for long and call it good enough.

For lunch it's nearly always a polo / shorts / reef sandals.  That's my daytime basic attire whether at home or on ship.  

I've only run afoul of the dining room police once, when I wore a ball cap in for lunch and was asked to remove it.  I'm not sure the windblown mop I exposed by doing so was any sort of upgrade, but I complied without complaint nonetheless.

Oh, and I've been told repeatedly that shorts are permitted (not encouraged but permitted) first night / last night to accommodate those who may not have received their luggage / have already packed their luggage. I'll be testing this myself in a couple weeks on Royal. . . 

I’m surprised about them having you remove your cap at lunch. (Although I do agree that hats shouldn’t be worn during a meal). On my last cruise on the Pacific Princess one man wore a Dress cowboy hat every night in the main dining room. I don’t remember ever seeing him anywhere on the ship without his hat.

44 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

This is not allowed on most Princess ships for dinner on casual evenings while.....

These jeans are perfectly fine since there are no rips or holes ! 😏

I would think - and expect - that someone from Bermuda showing up as shown in the picture would be admitted similarly to someone from Scotland in a dress kilt.  Formal and informal wear does vary by culture.  A stetson type cowboy hat was mentioned above, although I think it is supposed to be off in a dining establishment (but I am not a western nor cowboy/rancher expert).  I am pretty easy-going about this stuff.

1 hour ago, TwoCruisers said:

I’m surprised about them having you remove your cap at lunch. (Although I do agree that hats shouldn’t be worn during a meal). On my last cruise on the Pacific Princess one man wore a Dress cowboy hat every night in the main dining room. I don’t remember ever seeing him anywhere on the ship without his hat.

32 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I would think - and expect - that someone from Bermuda showing up as shown in the picture would be admitted similarly to someone from Scotland in a dress kilt.  Formal and informal wear does vary by culture.  A stetson type cowboy hat was mentioned above, although I think it is supposed to be off in a dining establishment (but I am not a western nor cowboy/rancher expert).  I am pretty easy-going about this stuff.

Hubby is one of those people who never leaves the house without his Stetson on and did not leave the suite without it either.  I always reminded him to take it off when we were seated in the MDR before the waiter came.

He kept it on for the buffet and other specialty places.

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Except in this particular case a sartorial disaster is on display. The tie is too short or more likely the rise of the shorts is too shallow and the jacket is the wrong length for his body. Never mind the pattern of the tie...

2 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Hubby is one of those people who never leaves the house without his Stetson on and did not leave the suite without it either.  I always reminded him to take it off when we were seated in the MDR before the waiter came.

He kept it on for the buffet and other specialty places.

If I had seen him in the buffet or other dining place with hat on I would have assumed that he was hiding a bad case of dandruff or ring worm.

I have seen real working cowboy hats and they are grimy with sweat and dust. Definitely not something you want on in the dining room.

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Except in this particular case a sartorial disaster is on display. The tie is too short or more likely the rise of the shorts is too shallow and the jacket is the wrong length for his body. Never mind the pattern of the tie...

And that's a slippery slope as there are always examples of folks who can be dressed very well, but smart casual, who sartorially outshine some of those in a suit and tie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

If I had seen him in the buffet or other dining place with hat on I would have assumed that he was hiding a bad case of dandruff or ring worm.

I have seen real working cowboy hats and they are grimy with sweat and dust. Definitely not something you want on in the dining room.

No hair or scalp problems there.  Also, he keeps his hat looking new and nice.  He has other cowboy style hats he wears for wood cutting, hunting and fishing, or just around town to do the shopping.  He left those grimy guys home and did not bring them along for the cruise.

• Like 1