MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

We have decided to give cruising with Princess a miss for the foreseeable future one of the many reasons is the standards of dress that some people wear when entering the MDR whether it be "smart casual" or "formal" is the reason why we will be giving Princess a miss for future cruises.I wouldnt do the garden in some of the clothes that I have seen wearing on "smart casual" nights and peoples idea of formal dress beggars belief. Princess have a brass plaque outside MDR on all ships stating dress code and then completely ignore it and dont enforce it. When being brought up was always taught it was manners not to wear a hat in church or while eating its a pity some cannot take their baseball caps off when eating I think some must sleep in them and nobody has the nerve to tell them what a "plonker" they look in them.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We have decided to give cruising with Princess a miss for the foreseeable future one of the many reasons is the standards of dress that some people wear when entering the MDR whether it be "smart casual" or "formal" is the reason why we will be giving Princess a miss for future cruises.I wouldnt do the garden in some of the clothes that I have seen wearing on "smart casual" nights and peoples idea of formal dress beggars belief. Princess have a brass plaque outside MDR on all ships stating dress code and then completely ignore it and dont enforce it. When being brought up was always taught it was manners not to wear a hat in church or while eating its a pity some cannot take their baseball caps off when eating I think some must sleep in them and nobody has the nerve to tell them what a "plonker" they look in them.

personal choice is a beautiful thing ... ain't it yall

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, The Mikado said:

The concepts of "elegance" and "taste" have long-ago departed from our society. Just look at what passes for acceptable in music, movies, social media, and virtually anything else you can name that mirrors the cesspool our popular culture has become.

Dress is so subjective just as food taste and many other things in our society are.....I certainly do not see what people wear on a Princess cruise ship as being a sign that civilization has fallen.  I would suggest Cruise Cunard which might give you hope that all is not lost for mankind.

• Like 2

I am going on my first cruise next summer. Thank goodness for CruiseCritic, I have learned so much!

These dress code threads are giving me some anxiety. Is there any tension like this on the ships? I plan on following the dress code but I usually prefer to go casual when possible. Should I "up my game" to avoid people confronting me or is this mostly an internet thing and not a problem once on board?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CruisinFunGal said:

I am going on my first cruise next summer. Thank goodness for CruiseCritic, I have learned so much!

These dress code threads are giving me some anxiety. Is there any tension like this on the ships? I plan on following the dress code but I usually prefer to go casual when possible. Should I "up my game" to avoid people confronting me or is this mostly an internet thing and not a problem once on board?

All of this arguing/discussion is due to the interpretation of the so call dress code and you'll never hear a word on the ship. 

Bring clothing that would suffice for both formal & casual evenings & see what it looks like after you've been to a dinner or two.

You'll find people dressing up (even on casual evenings) as well as casual nights & then you can decide for yourself what is appropriate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisinFunGal said:

We had our first Princess cruise in May this year to Alaska.

I saw many couples dressed "for the ball" in the tuxedos and elegant suits as well as ball gowns and slacks outfits that would be fit for attending a wedding or presentation.  It seems that most of them were also getting professional photographs done on board.  We, ourselves, opted for the MDR only on port days for breakfast/lunch as we wanted to only pack for being around the ship and in the ports.  I cannot vouch for what would have happened had we attended dinner there in my leggings, solid color tee shirt and zip up hoodie nor his Stetson hat, dockers slacks and button down short sleeved shirts, but we had no unapproving eyes on us earlier in the day when we were in there.  The others we were seated with were in "smart casual", so presuming they may have planned to stay on board or not venture very far from the ship in port.

I think if people disapprove, they may tend to keep it to themselves until they get on line.

We had a great time everywhere we went and were comfortable doing so.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

All of this arguing/discussion is due to the interpretation of the so call dress code and you'll never hear a word on the ship. 

Bring clothing that would suffice for both formal & casual evenings & see what it looks like after you've been to a dinner or two.

You'll find people dressing up (even on casual evenings) as well as casual nights & then you can decide for yourself what is appropriate. 

14 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

We had our first Princess cruise in May this year to Alaska.

I saw many couples dressed "for the ball" in the tuxedos and elegant suits as well as ball gowns and slacks outfits that would be fit for attending a wedding or presentation.  It seems that most of them were also getting professional photographs done on board.  We, ourselves, opted for the MDR only on port days for breakfast/lunch as we wanted to only pack for being around the ship and in the ports.  I cannot vouch for what would have happened had we attended dinner there in my leggings, solid color tee shirt and zip up hoodie nor his Stetson hat, dockers slacks and button down short sleeved shirts, but we had no unapproving eyes on us earlier in the day when we were in there.  The others we were seated with were in "smart casual", so presuming they may have planned to stay on board or not venture very far from the ship in port.

I think if people disapprove, they may tend to keep it to themselves until they get on line.

We had a great time everywhere we went and were comfortable doing so.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you for the reassurance.  I feel better knowing this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisinFunGal said:

Is there any tension like this on the ships?

NO!!

2 hours ago, CruisinFunGal said:

avoid people confronting me

Not a concern

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

you'll never hear a word on the ship. 

Pretty much the case.

I had met the MD on our last cruise due to a DR change request.  He waved and was very friendly on a formal night and I was not dressed in jacket nor tie that trip as it was part of an extended land/sea vacation and did not want to take "dress up" things.  Similar experience earlier in the year on Majestic, although I believe we went to Crown Grill one formal night. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Crown this year & one thing sill has me perplexed. 

One evening we were just about to enter the DR when a middle aged woman walked right in dressed in shorts. (Casual evening)

Not that it bothers me one way of the other but my DH wouldn't let it go that easily when he knew he would be confronted if he tried the same thing. 

There were only head waiters to question on the subject & he got into it with one of them as to why they have two sets of rules. They really had no answer other than the women can do so because of the fact that they're not much different than a pair of culottes which seem to be one of the allowable items for women to wear. 

As we walked to our table all the head waiter could do is shrug, saying that the head office allows it so there's not much they can say about two different standards. 

And there is the final say so on what is allowed.  The front office permits it and any one else is just posting to get rid of the frustration of changes and not liking them. Other than that all these dress code postings are much to do about nothing.

5 hours ago, CruisinFunGal said:

You'll never hear a word onboard, certainly not from other pax.  From staff only if you commit a most egregious violation.

There's really no reason for any anxiety, given that you say you plan to comply.

Realize that folks here, and in general on social media, feel free to say things they'd never in a million years say to your face.  Put your anxieties aside and switch instead to anticipation for all of the lovely experiences you'll undoubtedly have onboard!

Enjoy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

One evening we were just about to enter the DR when a middle aged woman walked right in dressed in shorts. (Casual evening)

Not that it bothers me one way of the other but my DH wouldn't let it go that easily when he knew he would be confronted if he tried the same thing. 

There were only head waiters to question on the subject & he got into it with one of them as to why they have two sets of rules. They really had no answer other than the women can do so because of the fact that they're not much different than a pair of culottes which seem to be one of the allowable items for women to wear. 

As we walked to our table all the head waiter could do is shrug, saying that the head office allows it so there's not much they can say about two different standards. 

I and the MDR staff went head to head over women wearing flip flops on formal nights.   What most wear does not normally bother me but have gotten a few chuckles over what was permitted in the MDR.  Anyway the result of the discussion I was told that women can wear about anything and declare it "formal" but men cannot.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I and the MDR staff went head to head over women wearing flip flops on formal nights.

I have yet to read a single post where anyone, man, woman, or 'whatever' be denied admission to the mdr on any night because of what they were wearing on their feet ...

26 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I and the MDR staff went head to head over women wearing flip flops on formal nights.   What most wear does not normally bother me but have gotten a few chuckles over what was permitted in the MDR.  Anyway the result of the discussion I was told that women can wear about anything and declare it "formal" but men cannot.  

That's pretty much what they told my DH & had a hard time keeping a straight face during their discussion. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

So it’s ok for your husband to stretch the rules in the MDR the way he wants, but not a woman?

• Like 1

Perhaps when a new ship gets built, they should include multiple dining rooms for the dress code. One could be “wear what you want”, that way if you picked that dining room, no one would care what you were wearing. Another one could be “formal dress only” that way people who wanted to dress up for dinner every night would not have to worry about what the people dining with them were wearing.

A vacation should be all about enjoying yourself and as long as you are not causing someone physical discomfort, live and let live. Remember there is a reason that they make a lot of different ice cream flavors. You get to choose your own flavor and if you don’t like the others person choice, choose another one for yourself.

25 minutes ago, BIGADORF said:

Perhaps when a new ship gets built, they should include multiple dining rooms for the dress code. One could be “wear what you want”, that way if you picked that dining room, no one would care what you were wearing. Another one could be “formal dress only” that way people who wanted to dress up for dinner every night would not have to worry about what the people dining with them were wearing.

A vacation should be all about enjoying yourself and as long as you are not causing someone physical discomfort, live and let live. Remember there is a reason that they make a lot of different ice cream flavors. You get to choose your own flavor and if you don’t like the others person choice, choose another one for yourself.

I’m afraid that if they did that, the formal DR would have lots of empty tables on formal nights. Perhaps they could try splitting a DR, with a formal section.

4 hours ago, richsea said:

I’m afraid that if they did that, the formal DR would have lots of empty tables on formal nights. Perhaps they could try splitting a DR, with a formal section.

Excellent suggestion.  Set aside one MDR for the formal pax and the rest of us will use the other MDRs.  

12 hours ago, richsea said:

So it’s ok for your husband to stretch the rules in the MDR the way he wants, but not a woman?

I think you may have misunderstood my previous post. It's the women who are really stretching it to the limit with wearing shorts, not the men. Not that my DH wearing shorts is all that important for dinner. 

Edit- I suppose you're correct but shouldn't everyone be allowed the same latitude? 

10 hours ago, richsea said:

That would satisfy a few of the formalists who do get upset seeing others not dressed to their standards but do you think Princess really cares? 

They have enough to do with just getting people seated & fed without having to worry about where to seat them because of they choice of clothing.

After all is said & done, how many people on the ship really do get upset if there are a small percentage that dress down?  

Edited by MissP22

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Totally agree.....in all of our cruises we have seen many variations of formal dress in the MDR's on formal night but have never heard another passenger complain about what someone else is wearing whether it is up to dress code or not.....only on CC!!