MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

As an aside - what do you people think the MAIN job , and then secondary jobs of the Maitre D should be, and what it actually is on his/her Princess ship and dining room ?

I think it's to ensure the orderly and efficient operation of the DR and to be the point of contact for any issues that arise. I've never really seen them do anything else apart from paying a nightly visit to each table to see how things are going.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Women can wear muscle shirts and husband beaters and no body bats an eye.  🤔

Actually, people do bat an eye.  If you wear a husband or wife beater and think that know one is talking about it, then you aren't paying attention.  They may or may nor lodge a complaint, but they are noticing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

As an aside - what do you people think the MAIN job , and then secondary jobs of the Maitre D should be, and what it actually is on his/her Princess ship and dining room ?

Host CJSkids - if this is in the wrong forum or not allowed ... please remove ASAP as this is no attempt to incite ...

It's a great question and in regards to the topic at hand, it seems to be deciding how or if to adhere to the suggested dress code that Princess has on their website.

Maybe start another thread as on a personal level, I think it's a good topic.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, jbeth said:

Have had conflicting reports!

What is the dress code for MDRs on non formal nights?

Lunch and dinner

Hawaii cruise

Nice shorts and shirt for men? 

Same for women?

Thanks!!!

Bet you’re sorry you ever asked. Lots of pontificating going on here....from BOTH perspectives. 

Think I’ll go back to a barrel chair thread; they’re a fresher subject.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Clothing Recommendations section

"

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

"

Does the above mean that ladies are only allowed to wear sweaters and not blouses when dressed Smart Casual?

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

It's a great question and in regards to the topic at hand, it seems to be deciding how or if to adhere to the suggested dress code that Princess has on their website.

Maybe start another thread as on a personal level, I think it's a good topic.

Au contraire, IMO.  I think the purpose behind the original question posed by poster Mikado had to do with enforcement/monitoring of dress recommendations and dress "no-no's".  I don't think anyone had ever expressed, on Cruise Critic, any dissatisfaction in general about the MD's job descriptions, activities, etc.  Virtually all ones I have encountered are very experienced and do a fabulous job.  Also, the MD himself cannot be everywhere at once and particularly not in what are typically three MDR's.  Seems like just another angle to perpetuate more dress code debates.

8 minutes ago, brisalta said:

From https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Clothing Recommendations section

"

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

"

Does the above mean that ladies are only allowed to wear sweaters and not blouses when dressed Smart Casual?

You're thinking about this whole thing to hard. Relax & go with the flow.

No one picks apart every word of the dress code subject like some people do. 

Princess has become so much more lenient in recent years it's surprising they haven't addressed the wording of the dress code by now. 

Just dress what you consider nicely on casual & formal nights & you'll be fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You're thinking about this whole thing to hard. Relax & go with the flow.

No one picks apart every word of the dress code subject like some people do. 

Princess has become so much more lenient in recent years it's surprising they haven't addressed the wording of the dress code by now. 

Just dress what you consider nicely on casual & formal nights & you'll be fine. 

And you have no sense of humor!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Who are these people that go to a HW because they see one dressed in shorts?  Sounds like the same ones who brag about monitoring bathroom hand washing whilst on vacation.  I mean this is the definition of get a life, really 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrMan said:

Who are these people that go to a HW because they see one dressed in shorts?  Sounds like the same ones who brag about monitoring bathroom hand washing whilst on vacation.  I mean this is the definition of get a life, really 

The HW will notice shorts and other things.

So is your name actually Typhoid Mary ? 😉

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Mikado said:

Let's not start this again. You know VERY WELL this has nothing to do with "[my] enjoyment". It has everything to do with the sad decline in standards in EVERYTHING over the years.

And you can always eat in the buffet on formal nights.

As can you if my jeans bother you so much.

Having to dress up to eat cafeteria quality food is just ridiculous. If you enjoy dressing up, more power to you, but it's no longer the 1960's. Cruising (much like flying) has deteriorated a good bit in the past 30 years.  It's just a fact of life. Like or not, it's how it is. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Flydude1063 said:

Having to dress up to eat cafeteria quality food is just ridiculous. If you enjoy dressing up, more power to you, but it's no longer the 1960's. Cruising (much like flying) has deteriorated a good bit in the past 30 years.  It's just a fact of life. Like or not, it's how it is. 

Ridiculous or not, it is what the cruise line asks for. If you don't like dressing up and more to the point, won't adhere to what is requested, don't cruise or at the least, don't eat in the dining rooms; choose another option.

Yes, civility has deteriorated a good bit in the past 50 years, but why contribute to it more?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

Why not just follow the recommended attire?  Or go on a cruise line more in line with your preferences? It is nice that we all have choices ... 

Formal

I'll try & answer you response in a way that doesn't get it deleted like the rest of them were. 

Princess also says on their web site that people who don't wish to dress up can still enter the DR and they spell out very clearly what is expected.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse." 

So you can see that Princess does recognize that not everyone wants to participate in "dressing up". It doesn't say shorts, jeans or flop flops but just decent casual clothing that most would classify as casual. My DH interprets that as Dockers & a dress/Polo/guayabera  shirt. I wear my black slacks with a dressy top. 

1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

It really doesn't make one.  It is just nice when people follow Princess' recommendations.

Yes, Princess has suggestions for both casual & formal evenings. See above. Not everyone has to conform to the suit & tie or evening dress to satisfy Princess's code. It's worked for many people for years now.

A fellow cruiser told me that Royal Caribbean, at least on one ship, has done away with formal nights.  Maybe if Princess did away with formal nights and just required a minimum standard such as no swim wear or gym wear, then we could peruse this forum without always having these threads about dress codes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nukesubsailor said:

A fellow cruiser told me that Royal Caribbean, at least on one ship, has done away with formal nights.  Maybe if Princess did away with formal nights and just required a minimum standard such as no swim wear or gym wear, then we could peruse this forum without always having these threads about dress codes.

But dont you think that if Princess did that then there would still some people who think they are bucking the trend and try to be clever and enter MDR in gym wear etc.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Flydude1063 said:

As can you if my jeans bother you so much.

Thank you for your contributions to the decline.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But dont you think that if Princess did that then there would still some people who think they are bucking the trend and try to be clever and enter MDR in gym wear etc.

Yes.  Sadly there will always be those of low character who get off on defying the standards.😠

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

It says, "formal settings", not formal nights.

The Princess guidelines for formal nights says, "Formal: When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women. Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men.

Even smart casual says. Smart Casual: Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home. Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies. Pants and open-neck shirts for men.  Dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

What the OP asked for was not especially clear since they mentioned lunch and dinner, shorts, Hawaii and conflicting reports, but they did specifically ask, "What is the dress code for MDRs on non formal nights?"

It is very clear what the dress code is. There is no ambiguity in it. There are people who put themselves above everyone else and choose to do only what they want. It is a symptom of the breakdown in society and the self-centered nature of the era we live in now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1