Can you get Himalayan Pinks Salts on ships?

NJ&Ozzie

I’ve had the same thoughts and decided to bring my own salt. 

I bought Redmond Real Salt https://smile.amazon.com/Redmond-Real-Sea-Salt-Unrefined/dp/B00F8DNJM0/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?keywords=redmond+real+salt&qid=1568131237&s=gateway&sprefix=redmo&sr=8-13

Edited by Croozin Soozin

Not in regular dining venues.  I know one of the specialty used to have different salts with one course, but I think I read they don't anymore.   If you want them for regular meals, then, yeah, bring your own.

14 minutes ago, BND said:

Not in regular dining venues.  I know one of the specialty used to have different salts with one course, but I think I read they don't anymore.   If you want them for regular meals, then, yeah, bring your own.

Please tell me that 150 Central Park still offers the different salts at the bread service.

18 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Just curious.....why?:classic_huh:

The Himalayan Pink Salts has more minerals, etc. than regular salt.  Unrefined, unprocessed.  Also, the taste of the pink salt is much more subtle.   Use it at home all the time.  

NJ 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Please tell me that 150 Central Park still offers the different salts at the bread service.

No idea because we've never eaten there, but vaguely remember reading something about it in the last couple of months.  I could be remembering incorrectly.

I doubt very much they have it on the ships so would bring your own. However, taste your food before you add it. We had a number of meals spoiled on our recent cruises because they were just too salty - particularly annoying when paying extra in Speciality restaurants.

25 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Went there on Symphony back in January and they no longer have the salts. Also it was no longer the six course small portion menu. 

13 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I doubt very much they have it on the ships so would bring your own. However, taste your food before you add it. We had a number of meals spoiled on our recent cruises because they were just too salty - particularly annoying when paying extra in Speciality restaurants.

Thanks - good advice.  Will do.  It's always different cooking things yourself at home when you know what's been added already.

Looks like we're bringing our own supply!!  Thanks all.

NJ 

150 Central Park used to have a dish with six or eight different kinds of salts. Within the last six or eight months when we dined there it seems to be discontinued.  The dish itself is very pretty it looked like flower petals, and the different salts were interesting to try. 

As for regularly in any of the other restaurants, the answer would be NO. 

M

46 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Just curious.....why?:classic_huh:

of course, there is a distinct flavour not found in regular salt. Also, the pink salt has more iron oxide content in it, which provides added iron to the diet and is beneficial for those who may be anemic. That's where the colour comes from.

27 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

The Himalayan Pink Salts has more minerals, etc. than regular salt.  Unrefined, unprocessed.  Also, the taste of the pink salt is much more subtle.   Use it at home all the time.  

NJ 

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

of course, there is a distinct flavour not found in regular salt. Also, the pink salt has more iron oxide content in it, which provides added iron to the diet and is beneficial for those who may be anemic. That's where the colour comes from.

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 3CatsInMA said:

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

Good points to consider, I never gave it that much thought before, especially your last sentence. To me, the taste actually is different, probably like how sea salt has a different sensation than regular table salt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Appreciate the input!  Will watch for the pre-salting for sure.

Cheers,

NJ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Good points to consider, I never gave it that much thought before, especially your last sentence. To me, the taste actually is different, probably like how sea salt has a different sensation than regular table salt.

To each his own....I'm really not trying to be critical of anybody's preferences.  We all know how subjective food is. As I said...just curious about the question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

To each his own....I'm really not trying to be critical of anybody's preferences.  We all know how subjective food is. As I said...just curious about the question. 

I had this vision of seeing more guests coming to tables sporting their own salt grinders and got a good laugh from that....what also is an interesting thought though is how salt comes with an expiration date - if you have even the slightest background in Geology, that's a good laugh in itself 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Don't forget the big pepper grinder to😉

Actually, just to be more clear about this.  We don't want anyone having nightmares!!  We do not intend to bring a salt grinder to the dining room table.   It's only for use in our stateroom & perhaps certain times in the WJ.   I have low blood pressure - find the salt in my water helps to regulate that & also helps to keep us hydrated.  As I said the pink salt is less intense & has a more subtle salt taste.

NJ 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Appreciate the input!  Will watch for the pre-salting for sure.

Cheers,

NJ 

Most EVERYTHING  will be heavily pre-salted unless you ask for a salt free/ lower sodium diet while on the cruise.  ( you look at the menu and select your meal for the next night).   I am salt  sensitive and find that they can prepare a few items without added salt, however the best thing for me is to simply ask for the entree’ to be served without any sauce.  That way I don’t have to make a special request, and eliminating the sauce helps me a lot. 

M

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Back when 150 CP had the 6 different salts there was definitely a distinct taste to each of the different salts and most definitely each was very different from ordinary table salt.