Pre-Paid Gratuities

rpmljm

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

I also usually would not either.....but I'm talking about costume jewelry (ring) and Fossil watch that I'm certainly familiar with pricing. When you have a small amount of OBC left why not spend it.

Oh, I hear ya.  I'm just getting more and more minimal with 'stuff.'  I've read several pieces that say "your kids don't want your stuff; get rid of it."  In the last couple of years we've done a lot of that.  Some of my 'good' costume jewelry I've donated to a homeless organization.  Some of my better things I've offered to our daughters.  And I've never owned more than one watch at a time 🙂

OBC is the classic “use it or lose it asset”.  Even in today’s low interest environment there is no point in not using it however permitted. Of course you do not want to waste it on souvenirs but if you can apply it to service charges, alternative dining, or anything else you would purchase anyway, it crazy not to.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

As mentioned, if you have cruise line sponsored OBC as part of your booking, IMO it would be better to have them paid directly on board by your on board account using their OBC to fund it.  The money is non-refundable anyway so you might as well be sure to use it up and gratuities is a good way to do that.  This would be the only reason I could think that your TA would be against prepaying.

If there is no OBC with your booking then my preference would be to prepay it so as to reduce the amount of on board charges to be cleared with your final bill.

BTW, when a TA makes a recommendation such as this and if it is not clear as to why, I would ask what their reasoning is to be sure it would be clear.  After all it is the expenditure of your money on which they are advising.

I did ask him and he said he advises against it because then we can adjust it if service is not satisfactory.  If paid in advance then you're paying for service you haven't received yet. Well, we would never adjust our amount down to less anyway, but I wondered if anyone here had any other reason why it would make sense to do so.

4 minutes ago, rpmljm said:

I did ask him and he said he advises against it because then we can adjust it if service is not satisfactory.  If paid in advance then you're paying for service you haven't received yet. Well, we would never adjust our amount down to less anyway, but I wondered if anyone here had any other reason why it would make sense to do so.

IMO that's just bad advice.  I won't get into all the reasons and support for the payment of gratuities to the staff who serves you on board and their deserving of those gratuities.  But for a TA to advise that just shows his lack of understanding of the industry he serves - and that pays his commission!  Perhaps his commission should be given to you for disbursement to him with discretion based on his level of service to you.

I stand by my reasons for why you should or should not pay in advance and will openly discredit his reasoning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rpmljm said:

Wow, just wow. Can’t believe a TA said that. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:14 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree - very unprofessional.  I think the OP should seek out a new TA.....

unprofessional?? in what way?  IMHO their TA was being truthful.  This whole business of pre-paying gratuities is nothing but convenience,  and/or not having a bigger than expected bill at the end of a cruise.  You don't tip the waiter before a meal.  I've spoken to several TA's here in Europe and every one advises against pre-paying gratuities.  Now all you pre-payers can start the usual flaming/rock throwing.

Edited by crazyank

On 9/12/2019 at 2:49 AM, rpmljm said:

Other than having it paid for in advance of your cruise, what are the advantages if any, of prepaying? Not sure whether or not to do that or have it billed to our account each day while we are cruising. Are there any disadvantages to doing that? My travel agent advised against prepaying. Any thoughts? Thanks

I like them pre paid (unless I have lots of OBC) as I can avoid a huge last night bill, paying in advance helps firstly with my budget but also allows me to minimise the cost a little due to currency conversions by picking the time to pay them when our AUD is stronger.

We're looking at a cruise with the Princess 3 for free offer which includes pre-paid gratuities. The only real disadvantage I see is that if the price were lower because the gratuities had to be paid later, it might result in the charge for insurance being less.

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

unprofessional?? in what way?  IMHO their TA was being truthful.  This whole business of pre-paying gratuities is nothing but convenience,  and/or not having a bigger than expected bill at the end of a cruise.  You don't tip the waiter before a meal.  I've spoken to several TA's here in Europe and every one advises against pre-paying gratuities.  Now all you pre-payers can start the usual flaming/rock throwing.

I am not going to get into any debate about the validity of adding gratuities - however paid - as part of the compensation of cruise line employees other than to say that, in particular in the US and with US based cruises, this is an accepted common industry practice.

That being said, there are countries where tipping is not a customary practice, or where if applied, having a gratuity prepaid may seem an unusual method.  In situations such as that, there could be a viable debate.  

However, the OP is from the US as is his travel agent, and as such, the advice against following a standard industry practice for the reasons they stated is IMO unprofessional.  I stand by my comments.  And you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not going to get into any debate about the validity of adding gratuities - however paid - as part of the compensation of cruise line employees other than to say that, in particular in the US and with US based cruises, this is an accepted common industry practice.

That being said, there are countries where tipping is not a customary practice, or where if applied, having a gratuity prepaid may seem an unusual method.  In situations such as that, there could be a viable debate.  

However, the OP is from the US as is his travel agent, and as such, the advice against following a standard industry practice for the reasons they stated is IMO unprofessional.  I stand by my comments.  And you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Is it "standard industry practice" to pre-pay gratuities? (I don't think so-just an option) Or is it  "standard industry practice" to tip for unsatisfactory service? Or to tip prior to service?

41 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Is it "standard industry practice" to pre-pay gratuities? (I don't think so-just an option) Or is it  "standard industry practice" to tip for unsatisfactory service? Or to tip prior to service?

I am not going to get into this debate.  But to clarify my comments so they are not taken out of context, in the US it is standard cruise industry practice to pay gratuities to certain cruise ship staff.  It is a common option to prepay them.

End of my discussion on this subject.

46 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Definitely NO to all three.

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not going to get into this debate.  But to clarify my comments so they are not taken out of context, in the US it is standard cruise industry practice to pay gratuities to certain cruise ship staff.  It is a common option to prepay them.

End of my discussion on this subject.

No one said ANYTHING about paying or not paying gratuities. (except you) The discussion is about a TA's advising against pre-paying. 

13 minutes ago, crazyank said:

No one said ANYTHING about paying or not paying gratuities. (except you) The discussion is about a TA's advising against pre-paying. 

Neither did I!  I think you need to carefully re-read all of my posts - I never said that so please don't put words into my mouth.  I only commented on disagreeing with the advice by the OP's TA to not pre-pay them.

I am staying on point - you are the one who just went off of it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Neither did I!  I think you need to carefully re-read all of my posts - I never said that so please don't put words into my mouth.  I only commented on disagreeing with the advice by the OP's TA to not pre-pay them.

I am staying on point - you are the one who just went off of it!

am not going to get into any debate about the validity of adding gratuities - however paid - as part of the compensation of cruise line employees other than to say that, in particular in the US and with US based cruises, this is an accepted common industry practice.

in the US it is standard cruise industry practice to pay gratuities to certain cruise ship staff.  It is a common option to prepay them.

Your own words.       'nuff said

Edited by crazyank

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

am not going to get into any debate about the validity of adding gratuities - however paid - as part of the compensation of cruise line employees other than to say that, in particular in the US and with US based cruises, this is an accepted common industry practice.

in the US it is standard cruise industry practice to pay gratuities to certain cruise ship staff.  It is a common option to prepay them.

Your own words.       'nuff said

Once again you don't seem to get it.  Let's put this into the correct context.  I was answering the post by 2wheelin who questioned whether or not (in the US) it is a standard industry practice to pre-pay gratuities - as follows:

"Is it "standard industry practice" to pre-pay gratuities? (I don't think so-just an option) Or is it  "standard industry practice" to tip for unsatisfactory service? Or to tip prior to service?"

To which I responded:"in the US it is standard cruise industry practice to pay gratuities to certain cruise ship staff.  It is a common option to prepay them" - which only acknowledged the practice and further defined the option to pre-pay them.

Nowhere in those comments is there any judgement about whether or not they should be paid.  Again, re-read all my posts and you will be enlightened to the facts.  (I will add for the record that I always support all gratuities and always pay them - usually extra amounts and often prepaid).

You can believe as you wish and ignore the facts, but either way I'm done with this. Don't know where your confusion lies, but in your own words, 'nuff said!!