Soda Package

kkat10

Most ships have Coca-Cola Freestyle machines that you can use with the soda package, or you can get whatever soda is available at the bar.  If your kids aren't big soda drinkers, you may want to look into the refreshment package instead. Keep in mind that the following beverages are included in your cruise fare:

• tap water
  • milk
  • tea
  • coffee (regular and decaf)
  • lemonade
  • iced tea
  • flavored waters
  • juices (at breakfast and not fresh squeezed)
  • Hot chocolate (via instant packets)

2 minutes ago, snowglobe said:

I bought one package for the few times that the young grandkids will want a soda from the ‘novelty’ machine. They’re already used to sharing a cup (they steal each other’s all the time), so they’ll be sharing this one too!

You do realize you have just opened up the gate to those who are going to slam you for sharing! Enjoy the remarks.

OP the recommendation for the refreshment package isn't a bad one, it includes the soda AND other things like smoothies, fresh squeezed juice (at breakfast, last time it was a pain to get and often had seeds in it), and coffee drinks. You will need to decide if the up charge is worth it for you. The free flavored water is more like "infused" water, but the freestyle machines have vitamin water and power aid and plenty of diet and regular caffeine free soda. You may decide that the beverages included in your fare are fine and if needed you can always buy a can of soda/pop as you go. You also may bring a 12-pack on to the ship with you.

Oh yeah... well aware.

It sounds like her kids are like our two grandsons - not big on soda pop.

This soda machine will be a novelty treat for them, and since we limit their sugary drink consumption anyway, this solution for us is practical.

Blast away.

Edited to add: the younger one will likely lose the cup anyway, and since people on this forum made it very clear in another soda package thread that it would not be returned if found (even with a ID sticker on it), then when it’s gone it’s gone.

Edited by snowglobe

The water provided on the ship for free is not bottled water, but it is filtered and I find it very good.   Bottled water is not included with the soda package.

Lemonade is available free

There is some sort of fruit drink provided at the buffet for lunch and dinners (not fruit punch).  I think it may be a mango flavor?  I like it.

Seltzer is not included with the soda package if I recall correctly (I could be wrong about this).

You might want to wait until on the ship and see if there are enough free drinks that your kids would like.  If not, buy the soda package then.

Dan

I have the Amex plat card... so not sure what other Amex cards have this as well.  Amex use to have something called Destination Family:

https://www.americanexpresscruise.com/cruises/promos/cruisepromo17.jsp?cobrand=15558&webpagerecno=2289&intcmp=ctn-o000075?intlink=ctn-a000527

Exclusive Offer1:

• Priority Embarkation
  • Complimentary meal at Johnny Rockets (family of 4)
  • Complimentary soda package (2 kids)
Edited by Glide_Path
Link added

If the kids are not big soda drinkers, you can always just purchase the occasional can. You are allowed to bring 12 cans on with you at embarkation so that may be all you need. Our grandkids were not soda drinkers so never had to deal with this. They were big on milk and lemonade and had no problem with tap water. I always brought them sports bottles and filled them with ice water from the WJ for excursions. 

• Like 1

Totally against the rules!  Why teach children to steal - if they are caught sharing the package will be canceled with no refund.   They will have a lot of explaining to do. They could be asked for a Seapass card.   Why put them in that position.

People sharing is why cruise lines are requiring everyone in a cabin to purchase some type of package. 

Either stick with the free options - plenty of them - tap water, juice with breakfast, white and chocolate milk, hot and iced tea, coffee, lemonade, flavored waters, punch, etc.  If they want an occasional soda bring a 12-pack on board.