After 15 Drinks on Cheers, what's next?

Don Kehote

Once you've hit 15 drinks, it's time to call it a night. Regardless of what you read on the internet, vacation is not about consuming every possible item to "get your monies worth"

If you absolutely cannot live without more, buy a bottle or 6 pack from the fun shops in advance, bring some wine, or just drink some non-alcoholic drinks.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Based on threads listing the pros of Cheers I could see someone hitting 15 drinks without consuming 15 alcoholic drinks.  It is often touted as an advantage to order anything and if you don't like it you don't have to finish it.  Another example is not finishing watered down or warm drinks - which could turn 15 ordered into only 6 or 7 drank depending on how hot it is or how fast they are drinking. It's still more than I would drink, but not a crazy level of vacation drinking. 

I guess that is a good point, that I didn't consider. Still, I don't fully buy it. What bartender wouldn't make you a new drink if you HATED the one you had? Who is really ordering all of these drinks they don't like? Who is really trying this many drinks they have never tried before? Heck, who is really ordering 15 drinks? These are extreme examples

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I could see someone hitting 15 drinks without consuming 15 alcoholic drinks.

I am not following you, non alcoholic do not count. Also, the drinks are not "watered down", they make them right infront of you, never saw them putting water in my drinks

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I guess that is a good point, that I didn't consider. Still, I don't fully buy it. What bartender wouldn't make you a new drink if you HATED the one you had? Who is really ordering all of these drinks they don't like? Who is really trying this many drinks they have never tried before? Heck, who is really ordering 15 drinks? These are extreme examples

I am the person that will try a lot of different kinds of drinks.  It is part of the fun of a drink package.  I have a list of different kinds of drinks I want to try.  So, I actually might hit the 15.

On my last Carnival cruise, the Atrium bartender let me do a tequila tasting.  Not a full shot, but a taste of all of the different tequilas she stocked there.  She counted it as one drink.  Also, I was tipping well.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Don Kehote said:

So let's assume it's around 3pm and I've hit my 15th drink. (It could happen.)

I shift gears and decide that I'm going to power through the night in a caffeine fueled bender with a stop in at the coffee shop, or that energy drinks are the cure for what ails me.  Does Cheers cut you off, after 15 Alcoholic drinks, completely...or are non-alcoholic drinks still available through Cheers?

Non alcoholic drinks are unlimited.  One you reach your 15-alcoholic-drink limit, you can switch to non-alcoholic drinks

15 beers in 16 hours -- would probably get full first.  A 750 ml bottle of 80-proof produces seventeen 1.5 oz. cocktails.  I could see someone drinking that much over 16 hours... at least one night, anyway...  🤢 🤮     

I know I personally will drink a minimum of 6 drinks on any given day during my cruises... even a port day, which is pretty much the break even point on the price of the Cheers package, and why I'm going to purchase it.  Love the idea of trying a new drink and not feeling obligated to finish it if I don't like it.  10 drinks a day is probably do-able for the vast majority of folks who like to imbibe.  So, I could see that a few will hit the 15 mark.

So... how much of each type of drink is equal to the other.  I like doing the math...  

12 fl oz of 5% regular beer
=
8-9 fl oz of 7% malt liquor (shown in a 12-oz glass)
=
5 fl oz of table wine
=
3-4 fl oz of fortified wine
(such as sherry or port; 3.5 oz shown)
=
2-3 fl oz of cordial, liqueur, or aperitif (2.5 oz shown)
=
1.5 fl oz of brandy or cognac (a single jigger or shot)
=
1.5 fl oz shot of 80-proof distilled spirits

On 9/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, beachgal58 said:

Sorry, meant to say if you are a beer drinker, order 4 in a bucket and hand tender the sail n sign, save for later, buy 2 if you have 2 pax in cabin. In other words, buy extra before you use your card for the day.

I know this is not the OP original questions, but are you saying you can buy one beer, have the bartender save it.  Go up and buy another in 5 mins save that one... in other words buy enough beer for a bucket by buying a beer every 5 mins.  Do you think they would do that ? And then have the bartender open them all at once when you purchase your last beer. 

One more question:  Do you need to bring your drink container ie: glass, beer bottle, to get another drink?  

Edited by Diggerof4

On 9/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, beachgal58 said:

Yes, the Cheers pkg includes specialty coffees, water, soda, energy drinks. When u exceed 15 drinks, u have to pay. 

Not quite. If you drink your limit of 15 alcoholic drinks, the non-alcoholic stuff (Gatorade, milk shakes, coffee bar, etc) is still available on your cheers package without having to pay for it on your S&S card., The only limit imposed by Carnival is the 15 alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James4me said:

I don’t think that for beer drinkers such as my husband will benefit from using Cheers.  He likes his beer ice cold in a bucket, and throughout the day he’ll go through a few buckets and still walk a straight line 😛

at $6 a beer 9 beers is break even. 15 beers would be about $90, Cheers would easily cover that in addition to all the non alcoholic drinks available

5 hours ago, Diggerof4 said:

I know this is not the OP original questions, but are you saying you can buy one beer, have the bartender save it.  Go up and buy another in 5 mins save that one... in other words buy enough beer for a bucket by buying a beer every 5 mins.  Do you think they would do that ? And then have the bartender open them all at once when you purchase your last beer. 

One more question:  Do you need to bring your drink container ie: glass, beer bottle, to get another drink?  

B4 u start drinking on cheers, go to the bar, order a bucket, this will be 4 bottles, ask for them not to be opened, give the tender yr sail n sign, bucket will be charged to yr account. Keep the beer for later, some pax do drink more than 15. lol Take the bucket to yr cabin for later. Start yr cheers after that.

No, u will receive a clean glass, but you have to wait 5 min between drinks.

12 minutes ago, beachgal58 said:

B4 u start drinking on cheers, go to the bar, order a bucket, this will be 4 bottles, ask for them not to be opened, give the tender yr sail n sign, bucket will be charged to yr account. Keep the beer for later, some pax do drink more than 15. lol Take the bucket to yr cabin for later. Start yr cheers after that.

No, u will receive a clean glass, but you have to wait 5 min between drinks.

Bartenders are not supposed to do that if you have Cheers...i.e. sell you a bucket of beer without opening them all. They could get fired if they are caught doing that. I have heard that directly from a Beverage Manager at a Diamond special event. 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:37 AM, Don Kehote said:

So let's assume it's around 3pm and I've hit my 15th drink. (It could happen.)

I shift gears and decide that I'm going to power through the night in a caffeine fueled bender with a stop in at the coffee shop, or that energy drinks are the cure for what ails me.  Does Cheers cut you off, after 15 Alcoholic drinks, completely...or are non-alcoholic drinks still available through Cheers?

After 15 at 3:00 pm you fall out in bed and wake up the next day with a hangover.