Celebrity internet usage

azalice

9 minutes ago, azalice said:

The website says it is 10 percent off. Do you get even more discount thru captain’s club membership?

Captain's Club Classic tier level offers 10% discount.  Higher tiers have a higher discount.  Select tier level receives a 25% discount, Elite receives 30% discount plus 90 free minutes, Elite + receives 35% discount plus 240 free minutes, and Zenith receives unlimited.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, citronella said:

You are right. So, if you pay for only one device, there can only be one device signed on at a time. Means both of you won’t be able to access the internet at the same time.

We received unlimited internet for 2 as part of a package.  Silly me, I thought that meant any/all devices.  Nope.  When I sign into the phone, it knocks out my computer.  My wife stays signed in on her phone.  We made 2 accounts. 

We are classic tier so only a 10 percent discount. It already tells us that when I sign in and look up our cruise reservation. Thanks for the help - at least I can see the cheaper way to book internet - hopefully it will work well onboard because we are doing back to back and for us that is a lot of days cruising.

azalice - when are you cruising? The wi-fi packages go on sale from time to time. You might wait until a week before your vacation to book wi-fi. Or you can book now and cancel and rebook if a better offer comes along. Double dipping isn't allowed. You may choose the CC discount or the sale discount.

We had the unlimited for 1 device package on our Reflection ABC cruise. I was able to use wi-fi to keep in touch via facebook messenger by texting. For phone calls, my cell phone worked best with a Verizon travel pass. I was able to make some phone calls via messenger, but if that had been my only option, I would have been frustrated. I was also able to watch Prime videos on my Chrome laptop and my Kindle Fire most of the time. On the night we approached Bonaire, internet was slow and I gave up on Prime video.

If you book before you sail, there will be a card with instructions on creating an account. It's very simple to do it from your own device. If you have problems, though, help is available in the internet cafe.

9 minutes ago, azalice said:

Thanks Marelaine, we cruise Oct.1but leave for Europe Sept. 24. We will wait a while longer to book. Being Classic tier, I expect the 10% is likely all we will get but I will keep checking.

If it's any help I'd just buy it at the 10% off now.  I am classic tier as well and have watched the specials for months and the surf package hasn't got cheaper than that the entire time.  The full internet package was cheaper a couple of times but not the surf.

22 hours ago, 39august said:

Jim Iian you are just the guy I need for another question. Please reiterate here how to hook up the HDMI cable to the new "revolutionized" TV's to get to the "select" option. I saw your explanation a month or so ago on a different thread, but I need a refresher course for my cruise in 8 days. 

On the revolutionized TV's - very different than the older tv system.   Firs of all.   The Samsung and Universal Remote did not work at all.   I believe they are now using RF instead of Infrared.  

The most important step is that you have to first attach your HDMI device WITH THE DEVICE POWERED UP.   In my case I was attaching a Roku Stick+.    Once attached and powered up then you turn on the TV.     Bottom Right Corner there is a swivel button that when pressed will give you a selection of changing channel, volume and SOURCE.   You toggle to the source button and press select then you will see the various ports.    Toggle to the port you want and your good to go.  

From the port selection you can also choose an advertised CAST - (ONLY WORKS WITH ANDROID OR SAMSUNG APP ON AN APPLE).    The only problem is Celebrity at least on Summit had not configured it.    I got in to the point where you select your TV but you get a choice of about 50 other rooms and they all have the same name.    Ugh. 

DA6C858E-9A4B-4007-AA70-B9FD979D0595.thumb.jpeg.5b94e1c05ce4186136258d4fcc0f9a16.jpeg

3DD30F58-27C4-4F0D-846F-94D828D9AAAC.thumb.jpeg.cf3f36d9cf939ec78ebb57150ead483c.jpeg

1AA6DB00-CEA1-4369-A499-775A55A379FA.thumb.jpeg.97a9c39aa264e1692429b05dde55e894.jpeg

If device is not recognized (powered up) the port will be greyed out.    I was using HDMI 3.    The TV's don't use a HDMI Port and are driven by a computer built into the TV.

169A766C-A614-4E17-B5CD-1993BC1C472B.thumb.jpeg.76cac368268bc8388d0146b65dd6fafb.jpeg

This is selection of Casting.  

3E6A6DB9-15DC-4891-84BD-C1E018BBFC35.thumb.png.a5de8cf53f958d215f4c93fcef21f853.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a longer cruise another reason to purchase an unlimited WiFi package is for communications with home or even on ship.  The ability to use free WiFi Calling and unlimited texting is a big plus for us.  We have found that the WiFi speed and access is somewhat ship and location dependent.  The best WiFi we ever had on any ship was when we sailed recently on Edge.  The older M-Class ships have spotty WiFi, but perhaps that is being improved on the Revolution upgrades.

Hi -  We're going on a cruise on Celebrity Infinity in November (Panama Canal) and want to book an internet package. 
There are 2 options according to the Celebrity Website:

1) The value priced Surf Internet Package (with the ability to text, check email, surf the web)

2) Unlimited Internet Package - Xcelerate WiFi Service 

(higher-speed internet at sea, so you can now share your sumptuous dinners and exciting shore excursions with friends

and family around the world. Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your

favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity

iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying

connected onboard.)

So what I want is to text, check Emails and WhatsApp and send photos, do I need the 'Unlimited Internet Xcelerate WiFi Package' to send Photos with WhatsApp or is this also possible with the value priced Surf Package?

I would be glad, if someone knows that, because the price for the 'Value price Package' is 161 Euro and for the Unlimited Package 242 Euros at the moment.

Many thanks and
best regards,

Michaela

On 9/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, Jim_Iain said:

On the revolutionized TV's - very different than the older tv system.   Firs of all.   The Samsung and Universal Remote did not work at all.   I believe they are now using RF instead of Infrared.  

The most important step is that you have to first attach your HDMI device WITH THE DEVICE POWERED UP. ... 

Know this is OT, but could you use the same technique to attach a computer hdmi output to the TV?  We copy our camera recordings to a HDD backup on a laptop & would like to view those copies nightly.

I posted it in another topic and repeat it here.

I recently had Surf package on Summit. With Elite discount it was $90 for 7 days.

Surfing worked very well as pictures and video posting to Facebook. It was funny because I could upload videos, but not replay them.

WiFi calling worked excellent , but I forgot to try WhatsApp, so no idea. It was enough for us.

Their system works very well identifying pages with streaming. Every time I tried to use my pages with TV streaming (even not activated yet) it gave me a message right away that I needed to upgrade my package. 🙂 I did not proceed with upgrades.

I wonder if VPN works with surf package works.. just in case I need to connect to work during Celebrity cruise.

Edited by Tatka

For Maylea (Michaela)

On Silhouette two weeks ago on a Norway cruise we had the Surf package. It worked superbly and using my iPhone I sent dozens of texts, WApp with numerous photos  to family and friends and was able to access the internet and emails.

It worked perfectly in the cabin, on the balcony and around the ship.

The only exception was leaving Flam and Stavanger with very high mountains on both sides - the daily programme advised in advance (obviously from previous experience) that the satellite reception would be lost - that included the UK television channels.

That brief couple of hours apart the surf package worked brilliantly.  We don't do face time/stream videos etc etc which need the more expensive package.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards. Peter

On 9/14/2019 at 7:45 PM, azalice said:

The website says it is 10 percent off. Do you get even more discount thru captain’s club membership?

The amount of discount depends on your loyalty level. Each CC member can only get a discount on the one device plan, so if you are using 2 devices at a time, sometimes the online sale price is better than the loyalty discount.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:03 AM, dianedebuda said:

Know this is OT, but could you use the same technique to attach a computer hdmi output to the TV?  We copy our camera recordings to a HDD backup on a laptop & would like to view those copies nightly.

Yes -   Any HDMI device that is powered up will work.   I have connected my laptop using an HDMI.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, PrincessPete said:

For Maylea (Michaela)

On Silhouette two weeks ago on a Norway cruise we had the Surf package. It worked superbly and using my iPhone I sent dozens of texts, WApp with numerous photos  to family and friends and was able to access the internet and emails.

It worked perfectly in the cabin, on the balcony and around the ship.

The only exception was leaving Flam and Stavanger with very high mountains on both sides - the daily programme advised in advance (obviously from previous experience) that the satellite reception would be lost - that included the UK television channels.

That brief couple of hours apart the surf package worked brilliantly.  We don't do face time/stream videos etc etc which need the more expensive package.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards. Peter

To clarify on the Surf package, online it says not sending and receiving photos but you mention you did.   

Can anyone comment on the ability to post photos on Instagram or Facebook using the Surf package?  thanks

In reply to the last post, yes I see that online about the Surf package. Didn't really register with me before as the ability to use the internet and send texts (by WApp) was what I was after hence booking the package.

As per my previous post I was able to send dozens of photos though, all by WApp, so didn't really think any more about it.

I don't use Instagram or Facebook so can't assist with that.

I don't know if the blurb about Surf means sending photos any other way (I'm not that good technically so not sure of the alternatives to WApp) but it certainly did what I wanted.

Interesting though and would be pleased to hear from others about their WApp experiences, for future reference.

Kind regards. Peter