Princess Trivia Cheating - is this common?

ram1977

We've done b2b sailings where the moderator mentions that they recognize those from the last cruise & so changes up the questions, but sometimes you just have to let them know that you've heard them before. Also, once in  a while there will be 1 or 2 duplicates questions mixed in from the previous sailing, but most of the time we can't remember the answers anyway. That's why they call it trivia!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geoherb said:

No. It's not OK to use notebooks, phones, tablets, etc. It is cheating. I haven't seen them actively cheating by using notes. I'm always seated away from them. Perhaps Griller's photo was taken after they had passed their paper to another team for scoring. But to me, people should recuse themselves in trivia if they have the same quiz they had on the same ship just a few weeks before. One host even asked if the quiz was a repeat from the previous cruise since he realized so many people were doing the back-to-back cruises. No one spoke up. And on a hard quiz, their getting a perfect score was suspect.

If it's so obvious that some people are cheating, why doesn't the host announce that anyone who is caught referring to notes, phones or tablets will be disqualified? 

End of problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

I think that at most of the trivia games we have played, the CD staff member working the game  always starts out by saying that laptops, phones, ipads etc are not to be used.  The internet is so slow that it is not worth wasting your wi-fi minutes to win such cheap ship prizes.  They also mention not to use non electronics devices and only 6 per team.  

So they do announce it at the start of the game. 

What do they do if people ignore their request?

I suspect nothing.

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

And such Happy Smiling Friendly faces; they must be having so much fun.....🙄

Let someone take a candid shot of you & see how you look. They’re not exactly posing for the camera.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So they do announce it at the start of the game. 

What do they do if people ignore their request?

I suspect nothing.

Probably right as honor isn't around to much these days.   Some  now  put  the honor value system in the "not politically correct to do anymore" basket.

6 hours ago, fredflint said:

Funny my biggest problem with Trivia is the person not able to read the question due to poor English skills or not being able to understand them due to accent.  We usually just compete between the two of us to see who can get the most questions.  Sometimes we don't arrive early enough to join a team and just answer the questions between us.

We've had that happen. The trivia host doesn't understand the actual question due to not knowing one or more of the words used in that question. We have mostly just played with the two of us as we don't go to every trivia. When one becomes part of an established team they need to show up at all the sessions and that seems like too strict a regimen. We never know what we might be doing. We do love joining others in a team but it's not important enough to have to plan our days around trivia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The folks/teams that cheat are not going to admit it on CC.  Those that do not cheat, and do not notice others cheating, will say that nobody cheats.  And those of us who quit playing Trivia years ago when all the team cheating became routine, will continue to avoid the team games because there are folks who take it too seriously and spoil some of the fun.  

Many years ago when we used to play lots of Trivia (we still love our Princess mugs we won at Trivia) it was mostly couples who played for fun.  But then Princess (and other cruise lines) adopted the team concept and things started going downhill when some teams became anal over the questions, answers, etc.  I once suggested to some folks that Trivia was supposed to be good fun...and the eyes that looked at me had daggers!

Hank

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We've had that happen. The trivia host doesn't understand the actual question due to not knowing one or more of the words used in that question. We have mostly just played with the two of us as we don't go to every trivia. When one becomes part of an established team they need to show up at all the sessions and that seems like too strict a regimen. We never know what we might be doing. We do love joining others in a team but it's not important enough to have to plan our days around trivia.

On Crown at the moment William one of the host's first language is Afrikaans, he has a very good command of English but phrases some unusual  questions in an Un-English way so its not always obvious what he wants for an answer - 

the B2B2B2B pro trivia team get it correct anyway but the rest of us are floundering

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

When one becomes part of an established team they need to show up at all the sessions and that seems like too strict a regimen. We never know what we might be doing. We do love joining others in a team but it's not important enough to have to plan our days around trivia.

I took a more casual approach this cruise than on previous ones. The fact that they held the cruise-long cumulative trivia during lunch meant that I did not look for a team. I played it once on my own. I scored better than some teams on that particular quiz. The host was posting the cumulative update in the library. The Canadian couple with whom I played were very nice. We were there for fun. We played with a young couple one afternoon. The American husband pulled out his cell phone. We couldn't believe it and told him to put it up immediately. We did not play with them again.

On my Alaskan cruises, I played with several different teams. I was not loyal to anyone.

7 hours ago, geoherb said:

No. It's not OK to use notebooks, phones, tablets, etc. It is cheating. I haven't seen them actively cheating by using notes. I'm always seated away from them. Perhaps Griller's photo was taken after they had passed their paper to another team for scoring. But to me, people should recuse themselves in trivia if they have the same quiz they had on the same ship just a few weeks before. One host even asked if the quiz was a repeat from the previous cruise since he realized so many people were doing the back-to-back cruises. No one spoke up. And on a hard quiz, their getting a perfect score was suspect.

Many times they hide out in the back.
We still go and play...we enjoy the game and sometimes we even learn something new!

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1