New York Parking

shirlden

I will be cruising out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal May 2020. Parking is so expensive at this terminal so I am looking for alternate parking. I found cheaper parking at Columbus Circle Parking, has anyone used this alternative? What are the cons to using off site parking? Sorry if this has been addressed before, I looked and did not find anything on it.

Price of parking in NYC is generally proportional to the size of the parking space, so if you don't care about your car getting scratched, go with cheap parking which will be in really narrow spaces. If you do care about your car, then just make sure the ratings are really high. I've never had a problem parking in NYC for the day but always used places that park the car for me. 

I've parked at the cruise terminal 4 times and like how wide the parking spaces are and feel that the extra money is well spent.But yeah, I think it's like $240 or something which feels like a serious rip-off and the lot always has empty spaces so I'm sure there are other good options. 

Ditto as above.  Most commercial parking system ... including online "booking" systems & agents (excluding cruise terminal roof-top parking) surcharged for oversized, over-height, over-width vehicles and for SUV, minivan & pickup truck ... at the typical rate of $5 to $10 extra per day, and some higher in prime tourists districts.  Be sure to ask & see what they include, exclude & surcharge - it can add up ... not to mention the nearly 19% taxes/fees.  

Pier parking has remained flat & unchanged at $40 a day for about 3 to 4 years, as I recall - whereas other in the area are now charging anywhere from $30 to $50 or even $60 per day + above surcharges; and, there are "special events" rates on certain days, i.e. "convention week" that might apply during one's extended period while on a cruise.   Be sure to read the fine prints on a confirmed rate and whether it's guaranteed, no matter what - i.e. a "compact/midsize" Honda CRV AWD that's shorter than a Hyunda Sonata 4 door "full-size" sedan is surcharged as SUV ... 

Where are you coming from in PA?  You’re sailing Sat May 16, 2020?

Other options are to do a park, sleep, cruise at an NJ hotel or to park at Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ for about $20/day, take the ferry across for $9/pp each way and walk, Uber/cab, or free bus to the terminal area.

1 hour ago, tjeffrey2871 said:

Instead of paying for parking we have decided to rent a car in Maine and pay the drop fee, then pickup in Manhattan on our return day and pay the drop fee in Maine.  We are saving over $300 on a 13 day parking fee.

So your two car rentals including taxes and drop fees total less than $100?  13 days of parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal costs $400.

52 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

So your two car rentals including taxes and drop fees total less than $100?  13 days of parking at the Manhattan cruise terminal costs $400.

I should have stated over $300 CDN (the exchange rate is killing my travel bug :) )

I found a great deal, all in $82 each way (excluding insurance as it is included in my policy)

I also understood there is taxes on the $400, so it become almost $500.

6 minutes ago, tjeffrey2871 said:

I should have stated over $300 CDN (the exchange rate is killing my travel bug :) )

I found a great deal, all in $82 each way (excluding insurance as it is included in my policy)

I also understood there is taxes on the $400, so it become almost $500.

No...the $400 parking fee at the cruise terminal includes all taxes.

44 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Even so, two car rentals of two days each, even with drop-off fees,  are not going to amount to anything near $400.

I didn't say it would amount to anything near $400...my original post was questioning how the poster was going to save over $300 from the $400 parking fee, which would mean the two rentals would have had to total under $100.

But in making your comment you quoted my second post,  where I was pointing out that the poster's assumption that tax would be added to the $400 was wrong. $400 is all it would cost, not the $500 the poster was assuming.

My only thing about the majority of the other lots is that they park your car. Since they cram as many in as they can good chance for damage. Also I have a problem giving someone the keys to my car and telling them I'll see you in a week. At the pier you park it and lock it. The keys are with you.

• Like 1

We have decided to park at the port and we are arriving 3 days early for a 10 day cruise. I called today and they said that we should arrive between 9-11 to guarantee parking on a Saturday. We will not be in New York until at least 3 pm. Do you generally find that the parking spaces fill up? 

1 hour ago, Sheila01 said:

We have decided to park at the port and we are arriving 3 days early for a 10 day cruise. I called today and they said that we should arrive between 9-11 to guarantee parking on a Saturday. We will not be in New York until at least 3 pm. Do you generally find that the parking spaces fill up? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Your question is a bit unclear -- you said you are arriving 3 days early for your cruise.  Do you mean you are arriving in NY 3 days early?  If so, you can't park at the pier until the day of your cruise.   And if you really aren't arriving in NY until 3pm on the actual day of your cruise, what time do you have to be on board?

34 minutes ago, Sheila01 said:

We are arriving 3 days prior to the cruise and staying in New York to sight see. When I called today, I specifically told them that and they said that I could park there for 14 days but parking could fill up. 

Is the day you want to start parking there one when a ship is departing in port? If not you're likely not going to be able to park that day. The reason you were told you could park additional days is because the parking fee for 10 to 14 days is a flat $400 so they don't care as long as you're parking 14 days or less. But you have to be able to get in to make it work.

Yes, the lots could be full by 3 pm. It depends on how many ships are departing that day.

• Like 1