New with a few questions...

Essiesmom

I have done many cruises on other lines, but this is my first with Oceania.  I have pretty well digested the O website, but I still have a few questions.  First, I noted in one place that the sodas and water in the cabin fridge is free and replaced as used.  Is this true of all cabin categories?  Another interesting snippet was in browsing the cabin category descriptions...Cabin service isn't mentioned until you get to veranda, when it states twice a day maid service.  I know there will be cabin service...but how often?  We are in an inside F.  

The original itinerary was all Cuba, so the revised port schedule is not always reflected in the cruise ship schedules of the ports.  So, can anyone who has been on the revised itinerary tell me where the ship docks in Cozumel?  We will be in port with two Royal ships, two Carnival, and one Crystal.  I assume the port for Roatan will be Coxen Hole...

We have always preferred traditional dining at large tables.  It is  possible to share a table in the GDR?  Thanks.  EM

34 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I have done many cruises on other lines, but this is my first with Oceania.  I have pretty well digested the O website, but I still have a few questions.  First, I noted in one place that the sodas and water in the cabin fridge is free and replaced as used.  Is this true of all cabin categories?  Another interesting snippet was in browsing the cabin category descriptions...Cabin service isn't mentioned until you get to veranda, when it states twice a day maid service.  I know there will be cabin service...but how often?  We are in an inside F.  

The original itinerary was all Cuba, so the revised port schedule is not always reflected in the cruise ship schedules of the ports.  So, can anyone who has been on the revised itinerary tell me where the ship docks in Cozumel?  We will be in port with two Royal ships, two Carnival, and one Crystal.  I assume the port for Roatan will be Coxen Hole...

We have always preferred traditional dining at large tables.  It is  possible to share a table in the GDR?  Thanks.  EM

I can only answer one of your questions.  When you check in at the GDR, you can ask for table sharing or ask for no sharing.  I don't know the range of size of tables that are used for sharing (4, 6, 8?) , but you will either join a table already started or you will start a table.  I think service begins after a set time after the first persons check in or when the table is full. Maybe other can chime in.

You can also get reservations for table sharing or no sharing in the specialty restaurants.

Edited by 1985rz1

*   Yes, soda and water is free and replaced.  This is for all cabin categories.  When you leave the ship for a shore visit you will find bottles of water available. (Note:  lately they seem to be switching from plastic bottled water so the system may be somewhat different now since we haven't cruised this year but water will be available to take off the ship.)

*   I haven't traveled in an "F" category but I'm sure you get the same cabin attendant service as higher categories receive!

*   We were on Marina in 2015 and docked at Cozumel.  We had a private tour and I don't recall any problem in reaching them.  My notes from that cruise indicate that there were two ports:  one a short walk, one a short taxi ride.  We didn't need to take a taxi but I don't have a record of where we actually docked.  Where you dock might be dependent on whether you are on an "O" ship or an "R" ship.  I THINK that the Cuba itineraries were on "R" ships but I'm not positive since we weren't looking into those itineraries.

*   YES, you can share tables in the GDR.  Also, in the specialty restaurants.  In the GDR, just tell the maitre d' you'd like to share.  It can depend on who is there when!  We usually like to share -- it's a great way to meet other passengers -- but sometimes when we showed up there was no one else who wanted to share, so we ended up at a table for two.  But usually there is no problem.

*   We tend to go in for dinner around 7:30 or 8:00.  If we were to go in earlier (or later) it might be different.

*   I see that I was beaten to my answer before I finished!

*   For specialty restaurants, if you are in an "F" cabin you will be last in line to make reservations before boarding.  So the odds are you will have better luck in asking for a "sharing" table than if you try to get a two-top.  It sounds like you want to share so that shouldn't be a problem.

On our last cruise on Riviera we showed up in Toscana with a sharing table.  We signed in for dinner in back of two couples, and we ended up sharing with them.  They were two British couples and we are U.S.  It was one of our nicest evenings.

On one or two occasions we were sharing with people with whom we weren't totally compatible but on the other hand we had  pleasant dinners.  Most of our "sharing" dinners have been delightful.  Some have been spectacular!  Every once in a while people report problems with people when you are sharing with strangers, but that has not been our experience.

Another suggestion:  find your Roll Call and see if there is someone there you'd like to ask to join you for dinner.  We've had some lovely dinners that way as well.  This works particularly well if you have joined private tours with others on the Roll Call.

Don't worry, you'll find people to join for dinner!

Mura

37 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

• Thanks 1

We get cleanup and nightly turndown service in budget rooms as well. Even chocolates, fluffy bathrobes and excellent beds!  I believe you can’t get a cooked breakfast in budget rooms but you can get a continental breakfast brought to your cabin. 

One minor thing that I appreciate is that you get beverages brought to you at your table in the casual “buffet” dining room. I find it a nuisance to fetch my own coffee or juice on other cruise lines. 

Included too is fancy nonalcoholic coffees in Barista. Oh, and don’t miss afternoons tea!  Even a crab finger sandwich and a slice of opera cake with a fresh pot of tea is heavenly. 

Frances

• Like 1

OP: you or your TA can call Oceania at least several weeks ahead and request your favorite waters/sodas for your fridge. We usually do Pellegrino and Coke Zero. If O has it (or has enough time to get it) you should have no problem (or extra cost).

Much easier to get specialty restaurant reservations sharing tables (which may be 4,6,8) at your preferred times/dates when you book your initial reservation allotment online pre-cruise. And you can add more reservations once onboard (space available basis and no extra charge).

GDR "sharing" option is 4,6,8 people and no reservations needed.

All cabins get complete cleaning service twice daily. Beds, linens and Bulgari bath products are first class (people actually can - and some do - buy beds from O's manufacturer!). The room service continental breakfast for your cabin level is more than adequate. And you have access to the "no charge" regular room service menu throughout the rest of the day.

The Terrace Café is hardly a "buffet." It offers "a la minute" cooking and the option of "al fresco" dining (weather permitting) including some items also on the GDR menu. And galley staff handle your preferred items (so please don't touch the food). Drinks there (including full bar service) are served to you.

FWIW, we much prefer the Terrace Café to the GDR because it's casual and faster. And daily menus are available for preview on your cabin TV.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

Thank you for your answers so far...So another question:  Are your cabins ready when you board, or do you have to wait until a specified time to access them?  And another:  Is the outlet in the bathroom 'live' if yu do not have the light switch on?  We like to put a nightlight in the bathroom.  Thanks...  EM

We have been able to board as early as 11:00 AM  with our PH category cabin but have never had access for another hour or two.  We carry a small wheelie bag with all prescriptions, jewelry, electronics, etc. and relax with a nice lunch at Waves or the Terrace with the adult beverage of the day.  It’s a good start for your vacation.  Availability seems to be according to cabin category.

The tour company we’re using in Cozumel informed me that we will “most likely” dock at Punta Langosta Pier downtown.

In Roatan my blue book indicates that we will be tendering at Coxen Hole.  Having done this before, it’s not my preference.  So much easier when docked.

Sorry, can’t remember about the light switch😄

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Thank you for your answers so far...So another question:  Are your cabins ready when you board, or do you have to wait until a specified time to access them?  And another:  Is the outlet in the bathroom 'live' if yu do not have the light switch on?  We like to put a nightlight in the bathroom.  Thanks...  EM

There is already a night light in the bathroom.  So the outlet is live, but you don't need to bring a light 

Edited by KS&JW

13 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

We have been able to board as early as 11:00 AM  with our PH category cabin but have never had access for another hour or two.  We carry a small wheelie bag with all prescriptions, jewelry, electronics, etc. and relax with a nice lunch at Waves or the Terrace with the adult beverage of the day.  It’s a good start for your vacation.  Availability seems to be according to cabin category.

The tour company we’re using in Cozumel informed me that we will “most likely” dock at Punta Langosta Pier downtown.

In Roatan my blue book indicates that we will be tendering at Coxen Hole.  Having done this before, it’s not my preference.  So much easier when docked.

Sorry, can’t remember about the light switch😄

We were at Coxen Hole earlier this month on Armonia, and we docked.  But we were the only ship.  On 11/20, there are three ships scheduled!  NCL Dawn, Getaway, and us.  Doubtless that means as the smallest, we would tender.  Good excuse not to bother going ashore.  Would be nice if Carnival would allow us to use Mahogany Bay, as they have space for two, and there is only one ship on their schedule...  EM

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Thanks again.  And...When will boarding docs be available?  We are 53 days out now.  EM

There are some broad boarding times with higher categories scheduled to board earlier, but if it's not busy folks in lower caregories are sometime allowed to board earlier.  Cabin availability is also tiered, with higher category cabins being available first.  At least this was our experience.  So enjoy lunch on board while waiting to get into your cabin.  You'll enjoy Oceania, regardless og your cabin category

We will probably arrive around noon regardless.  We pack light and carryon only, plus backpack.  Getting my sister out of bed before noon is a challenge, so prying her out in time to get the last of the hotel breakfast...Then catching the 1100am or so shuttle from the hotel...  No early mornings for us on this cruise, so will be having a little talk with the cabin attendant/maid... EM

6 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

So enjoy lunch on board while waiting to get into your cabin. 

We're cruising out of Rio and will enjoy a fave Saturday lunch on Copacabana, pick up our bags that are going to be held for us at our hotel and cab it to the ship.  Just a thought for others.

Depending on where we are boarding the ship -- and how often we have been there, how long we stayed pre-cruise -- we will arrive either in time for lunch and wait for our room to be ready, or board after having lunched on land as Clo says.  I'd sure go into Rio for Feijoiada if were there on the right day of the week ...

Rooms are ready from the top level down, that's true.  But they do seem to move quickly in our experience.

Mura

12 minutes ago, Mura said:

I'd sure go into Rio for Feijoiada if were there on the right day of the week

LOL.  It was our first thought:  YES!  SATURDAY!  FEIJOADA!  And caipirinhas (plural, of course) 🙂

And unsurprisingly we'll sleep it off and just grab a bite for dinner.  (Would they scramble us a couple of eggs?!?)

feijoada 2014.JPG

deck caipirinha.JPG

18 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL.  It was our first thought:  YES!  SATURDAY!  FEIJOADA!  And caipirinhas (plural, of course) 🙂

And unsurprisingly we'll sleep it off and just grab a bite for dinner.  (Would they scramble us a couple of eggs?!?)

feijoada 2014.JPG

deck caipirinha.JPG

Cath 🙄as always you show wonderful 

food you have had and here in San Diego it is 6:17 pm dinner time here for us and I want this!!!!!😡

Looking forward to your O cruise coming up!

Demise😊

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Cath 🙄as always you show wonderful 

food you have had and here in San Diego it is 6:17 pm dinner time here for us and I want this!!!!!😡

Looking forward to your O cruise coming up!

Demise😊

LOL.  Thanks, sweetie.  Yes, I'm one of those annoying people who takes pix of their food.  All over the world 🙂

And, yeah, we're in Seattle and that photo made me hungry also.  Grocery store spicy sausage and a 'melange' of leftover pastas (yes, plural) for us tonight.  But we do have really good food up here.  Mmm.

Scrambled eggs might best come from Room Service ... You could get them at Terrace in the morning but I don't know about dinner time!

Still, you could easily get a very light din-din in Terrace ... a salad, an app ...

Love me some Feijoada!

I think I've mentioned before the time we were newlyweds in Rio and had lunch at a fancy hotel on Copa.  We were alone in the restaurant with a couple celebrating their 25th anniversary.  The husband came over to toast us (we'd been married not quite a year at that point) and wish that we would be as happy as they had been.

Quite a special moment!

Mura

4 minutes ago, Mura said:

Scrambled eggs might best come from Room Service ... You could get them at Terrace in the morning but I don't know about dinner time!

Still, you could easily get a very light din-din in Terrace ... a salad, an app ...

Love me some Feijoada!

I think I've mentioned before the time we were newlyweds in Rio and had lunch at a fancy hotel on Copa.  We were alone in the restaurant with a couple celebrating their 25th anniversary.  The husband came over to toast us (we'd been married not quite a year at that point) and wish that we would be as happy as they had been.

Quite a special moment!

Mura

Oh Mura! I love that story!!! Newlyweds in

Rio. Now that is romantic in my 👀 ‘s

Denise😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Thanks again.  And...When will boarding docs be available?  We are 53 days out now.  EM

You should get  your Blue Book 30 to 60 days prior to the sailing

which has luggage tags in the back

You will also get  an email from O

FINAL CRUISE SUMMARY  print this out & take it to the port 

People at POM are fussy & want proof you are on that cruise

Usually lower  cat board about 1 pm  we usually  head over after 1pm  Cabins will not be ready until close to 3pm

We have docked in Roatan at both ports  you may want to check  Mahogany bay ship schedule  same with Cozumel 

https://cozumelinsider.com/?Page=CruiseShips

This site gives the schedule  only 1 wk in advance

Enjoy

34 minutes ago, Mura said:

had lunch at a fancy hotel on Copa.

Likely the Copacabana Palace.  It's now part of the Belmonde group I see which is quite la-dee-dah 🙂  We stayed at one of their properties in Santiago.  We'd just finished a Antarctica cruise in a teeny-tiny cabin and then had this.  We giggled at the contrast...and loved it.

image.jpeg.97d09c20911e2bd7844f51eed413c88a.jpeg

IMG_6477.JPG

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

You should get  your Blue Book 30 to 60 days prior to the sailing

which has luggage tags in the back

You will also get  an email from O

FINAL CRUISE SUMMARY  print this out & take it to the port 

People at POM are fussy & want proof you are on that cruise

Usually lower  cat board about 1 pm  we usually  head over after 1pm  Cabins will not be ready until close to 3pm

We have docked in Roatan at both ports  you may want to check  Mahogany bay ship schedule  same with Cozumel 

https://cozumelinsider.com/?Page=CruiseShips

This site gives the schedule  only 1 wk in advance

Enjoy

So, we will actually get something in the mail?  Been many years since that has happened...EM

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

So, we will actually get something in the mail?  Been many years since that has happened...EM

Well you should get the  Blue book either  delivered to you directly or  from your TA

I would start asking your TA   what method they are using

No need theses days for them to be sent to the TA  to be checked over 

JMO