Valuables at the Beach

littlemoos

We normally take a back pack to put towels, sunscreen, camera, phone, wallet etc.  What does everyone do with your valuables when you go to the beach?  It will just be the two of us, so we will want to be in the water at the same time.  Don't really want to get waterproof bags to take phone, wallet, camera in the water with us, so looking for other suggestions?  TIA!

1 minute ago, littlemoos said:

We normally take a back pack to put towels, sunscreen, camera, phone, wallet etc.  What does everyone do with your valuables when you go to the beach?  It will just be the two of us, so we will want to be in the water at the same time.  Don't really want to get waterproof bags to take phone, wallet, camera in the water with us, so looking for other suggestions?  TIA!

We use a KYSS bag which you can search on internet.  It has a chain lock to secure your beach tote, that you can also lock around a chair or tree.  We just took it recently to Bermuda at Horshoebay Beach, where we stayed in the water the entire time, and could keep an eye on it the whole time.  With the lock on the bag it deters anyone from even messing with it.  They come in 3 different sizes also, and different colors and you customize your lock code.  Have had 2 of them for about 5 years now and love them.  Good Luck!

• Like 2

Bring along some plastic grocery bags or Target bags. Place items in bag and plop it right down on your chair. Go in the water... That's the tried and true method I've been using for years. There could be a brick of platinum in there and nobody would ever suspect it...

For me, one of the most important methods is to limit what I do bring, and have a backup plan in case something does happen. These stories happen all of the time, then it ends with complaints like "Cruise line ruined my vacation because they wouldn't bend the rules for everything I didn't have anymore"

You don't need to bring your passport. You don't need to bring $500 in cash.

• Like 5

We use a waterproof phone case to hold cash, credit card, sail and sign etc.  Hubby usually wears it around his neck (but I have one too) or he also has swim trunks that have velcro pockets (buy these kind specifically just for this), and he ties it into  his tie string around his waist in his trunks and tucks the case in the velcro pocket.  We don't take our phone, but these are designed to hold a phone.  Husband is a diver and the ones we have, have never leaked even diving.

Not his brand necessarily but you get the idea... 

https://www.amazon.com/JOTO-Universal-Waterproof-Cellphone-Samsung/dp/B00LBK7OSY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=waterproof+phone+case&qid=1569599450&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMkdEN1RERzZJS1RPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDUyMzg1RkpKM1BYV1BWMklEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3ODAwNjczQzQ3RDhVTVdJNExDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Other items I have a big beach bag I sewed a metal o ring on to the side of and put one through the tab on the zipper pull, and then I secure this with a small combo pad lock I lock.  I also have a small metal coated cable that I keep another small pad lock on that I can wrap around the chair, tree, table whatever and put through the straps on the beach bag and lock up.  This holds towels, glasses, etc....

45 minutes ago, stellarose said:

I am wondering about petty cash/ phone/ sign sail card.  just a small safe would work on the beaches. 

We are just not that paranoid. we bring a either a backpack or a dry bag. We ask the people next to us to watch it, never had anything stolen in many years. 

9 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I was a single mom for a few years and traveled with my kids alone, so I bought one of these to hold my money/credit cards/cruise card.  I still use to this day, causes me less stress worrying about my stuff sitting unoccupied.

Image result for waterproof holder for credit cards

Is it totally waterproof? What is it called and where did you get it?

• Like 1

I use a KYSS bag and lock it to our beach chairs. I have a beach bag, and more recently got a backpack too. The quality of these bags is extremely good. I highly recommend them. I don’t believe their website is updated yet to show that they are now selling the backpack, but you can message them and they will invoice you. The middle-sized bag is a bit bigger, though, and really good for the beach. I plan to use the backpack as my personal item for when we fly. 

71912B39-708D-4664-BA6B-B892AFD80D30.jpeg

19 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

I was a single mom for a few years and traveled with my kids alone, so I bought one of these to hold my money/credit cards/cruise card.  I still use to this day, causes me less stress worrying about my stuff sitting unoccupied.

Image result for waterproof holder for credit cards

I've used these for years.  They work great.  I even use it on the ship, I find it easier than using a lanyard.

• Like 1

We use these for our backpacks.  (Backpack has to have two parts to the zipper so the lock can go through both zippers then loop the cable around a lounge chair, an umbrella or a table.) 

Cable Luggage Locks plus Bonus 4 Foot Steel Cables

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JPVHPXE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by TNVolnteerCruiser

11 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes. Search for waterproof card holder on Amazon and lots of examples of these will come up.  The Witz brand has worked great for me.

39 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I have had these and they are not "totally water proof"

The link I posted shows you one that is.  Like I said, if my husband can dive with one (again not this specific brand, but this style) to almost 100 feet down and everything stays dry you are good to go.

This other style (posted pic)  I have had get everything inside get soaking wet just snorkeling.

32 minutes ago, TNVolnteerCruiser said:

We use these for our backpacks.  (Backpack has to have two parts to the zipper so the lock can go through both zippers then loop the cable around a lounge chair, an umbrella or a table.) 

Cable Luggage Locks plus Bonus 4 Foot Steel Cables

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JPVHPXE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yep same type of idea I use for my beach bag!

:-)

37 minutes ago, CanTex said:

I've used these for years.  They work great.  I even use it on the ship, I find it easier than using a lanyard.

I have also used these for years. As an extra precaution, I put a small zip lock bag in the case when I am packing them in my luggage for the cruise.

I put my things in the bag and then in the case.  It helps with user error when the outer case may not have been completely closed properly.

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I have never had issue with water getting in as long as you make sure the closure is done all the way.  There is usually a seal that comes together. You can get these on Amazon, I have bought them at water parks as well.  

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

For me, one of the most important methods is to limit what I do bring, and have a backup plan in case something does happen. These stories happen all of the time, then it ends with complaints like "Cruise line ruined my vacation because they wouldn't bend the rules for everything I didn't have anymore"

You don't need to bring your passport. You don't need to bring $500 in cash.

My theory is that if you're just going to be leaving valuables on the beach, you don't need to have them with you. We carry everything of importance (cash, passport card/ID, sail and sign card) in a waterproof waist pouch. Our camera is waterproof and has a wrist strap. We leave our phones on the ship. We are always near some tourist attraction where everyone has a phone. We carry the ship's agent number with us from the Fun Times and in the event of an emergency, we can use a phone to call the local number of the agent at a hotel or something. My sunscreen and towel stay on the beach. 

First of all, I don't bring my wallet.  I'll take my DL for photo ID, S&S card or key entry, some paper $$$ and a CC.  I really don't care if any of these items gets wet.  If I'm on a ship sponsored tour, I won't even bring my passport or phone.

If I'm out independently, and feel the need to bring my phone & passport "JIC", then a waterproof wallet like WEMJAM posted works well for my phone, along with a ziploc for my PP..  I never have any luck with the cheap plastic ones with my stuff staying dry, but those aren't big enough for a phone or passport anyway.

Do a trial at home first with whatever system you decide to use.  Put some newspaper in the protector and take it into the shower or submerge it in a sink.  If the newsprint stays dry, you got a good system.  If not, keep looking.  Don't wait until you start snorkeling or whatever to test it out!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coevan said:

We are just not that paranoid. we bring a either a backpack or a dry bag. We ask the people next to us to watch it, never had anything stolen in many years. 

I’ve been going to the beach for 50 years, never had anything stolen. You set up your spot, don’t bring valuables, shove everything into a bag. We are an hour from the closest beach, I have family that live at the jersey shore, no safes.