Azura passengers stranded?

AndyMichelle

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I was in the tender behind the one that Josy was in. We left the harbour area but turned back, presumably on the orders of the captain, until the sea state and the swell had abated enough for tendering to recommence. Even then, the crossing back to the ship about an hour later was far from comfortable and the first time we came alongside the ship, we had to abort the ‘docking’, circle and approach again. This time, thanks to the strength, courage and expertise of the ship’s crew, we tied up and disembarked in a controlled fashion thanks to the Captain. I haven’t visited Monaco since then but next time I do, I will think very carefully about whether to leave the ship on a tender. 

As as I said in an earlier post, Monaco is a fabulous port but I really feel that unless a berth is guaranteed, no cruise company should include it on their itineraries.

I agree that Monaco is a great port and with your feeling that the cruises should not include it unless they have a guaranteed berth.  As I said we have visited it twice since our Britannia experience and been ashore but we did not enjoy it so much because I was concerned that the weather might turn again.  My husband has just said that we should just relax on board in July next year when we visit Monaco on Azura because we have visited so many times that all we there now is to go for a walk around the ports and town.  I would prefer to visit Cannes or Nice again rather than another Monaco visit.

We have berthed alongside in Monaco on Azura, it was the week before the F1 GP and just before they have the hiatus for using the berth for cruise ships.  Sadly we look destined to be tendering next Sept., according to Monaco's port schedule, when we are on the equivalent cruise to this one that had the problems, maybe its a good thing that P&O don't have the facilities to allow roll on/off tendering as RCI do, at least we will still be on board even if the weather changes.

Anyone know how P&O dealt with compensation, etc?

I understand there was:

1 day’s cost per person credited back

£50 per person credited to obc

Hamper delivered to home address

Did these apply to all passengers, or only those marooned overnight onshore?

4 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Anyone know how P&O dealt with compensation, etc?

I understand there was:

1 day’s cost per person credited back

£50 per person credited to obc

Hamper delivered to home address

Did these apply to all passengers, or only those marooned overnight onshore?

That’s a very interesting question. I do hope there’s been some consistency of treatment.........🤔

On 9/28/2019 at 11:41 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks for the information. What a real shame for those involved, instead of dinner in the MDR a biscuit, instead of a comfy cabin a sports arena floor, but least they are all safe.

I know this sort of thing does not happen often but it makes me think about what medication I carry when I go ashore.

The harbour authorities would be involved in this; the tenders had to be tied up in the port, and marine rules forbid a ship to sail without them. If this  happened in any port, the local knowledge would be vital; harbour master would be involved, and similar groups to our coastguards would be called out. I hear there were sudden rip tides, which are probably un-forecastable. The harbour master would be especially involved because a crew member had fallen from a boat into his harbour.

Believing that the rip tides would drop, it's again probable that the local emergency rules offered shelter until the boats were accessible; passengers have been pictured watching the basketball match. Medication and food were sourced, and it wouldn't be until late in the evening that emergency rules decided to bring in the beds.

If you've had to fill in a form offering assistance for an emergency in your area, first comes the basic shelter, food and medical aid. There are further steps after that, but it seems that the local rules were carried out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were amongst those stranded in Monaco and I have just had my review published on here. It is a long read, but I felt it was important to give the facts so you can make your own judgements. 

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=070cdfa5ec678c1b7a207c609f9ec74584b467cab0e62a743287ede70dd093970fa466a2314b239f4e9f3540896bb60130d47b962e3d2b9a

Edited by vsgnorwich
Typo
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, vsgnorwich said:

IWe were one of those stranded in Monaco and I have just had my review published on here. It is a long read, but I felt it was important to give the facts so you can make your own judgements. 

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=070cdfa5ec678c1b7a207c609f9ec74584b467cab0e62a743287ede70dd093970fa466a2314b239f4e9f3540896bb60130d47b962e3d2b9a

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review of your experiences. It will certainly make me think very carefully about what I do in terms of my personal preparation for tender ports in the future.

34 minutes ago, vsgnorwich said:

We were amongst those stranded in Monaco and I have just had my review published on here. It is a long read, but I felt it was important to give the facts so you can make your own judgements. 

Thank you for that very comprehensive post.  It makes most interesting reading and I'm pleased to read a first-hand detailed report of your experience.

It sounds as though you had a pretty rough time and have good reason to raise questions about how things were handled.  

8 hours ago, vsgnorwich said:

Many thanks for that detailed report.

It doesn't make pleasant reading, and it will make even less pleasant reading for P&O's lawyers - although I am sure P&O will dispute many of the details.

Your comment: "This was a foolhardy gamble that went wrong and could easily have resulted in crew and passenger fatalities or serious injuries. In this regard P&O were extremely lucky." sums up the situation quite neatly, and very little in your report, apart from the excellent staff, does P&O any credit at all.

There are many people in this forum who can never see any fault in P&O at all - whatever they do.  I'm sure some of them will try to defend the indefensible, and probably challenge what you say, but the press reports we saw a few days ago do look, if anything, to have actually underplayed the story if anything.

P&O need to look very hard at their tender ports, and their contingency planning.  As I said some time back, there was a clear lack of contingency planning here, and that's becoming increasingly obvious.

Thank you for taking the time to write that comprehensive account and for pointing us to it.  I hope that you have “recovered” from your holiday now and are keeping well.

I will use your experience to help me weigh up future cruises with tender ports 

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Many thanks for that detailed report.

It doesn't make pleasant reading, and it will make even less pleasant reading for P&O's lawyers - although I am sure P&O will dispute many of the details.

Your comment: "This was a foolhardy gamble that went wrong and could easily have resulted in crew and passenger fatalities or serious injuries. In this regard P&O were extremely lucky." sums up the situation quite neatly, and very little in your report, apart from the excellent staff, does P&O any credit at all.

There are many people in this forum who can never see any fault in P&O at all - whatever they do.  I'm sure some of them will try to defend the indefensible, and probably challenge what you say, but the press reports we saw a few days ago do look, if anything, to have actually underplayed the story if anything.

P&O need to look very hard at their tender ports, and their contingency planning.  As I said some time back, there was a clear lack of contingency planning here, and that's becoming increasingly obvious.

I have not read the long and detailed review, but would remind everyone that this is but one persons view of the problems created by this incident.  As to the highlighted text above, I would just like to point out that there would have an equal number of complaints if the Captain had decided not to tender at all because there might be rough seas later, especially if this did not occur.

I do agree with you on one point Harry P&O, and all other cruise lines, need to consider very carefully their tendering policy especially at ports that are known to have difficulties.  But in P&O's case I might be biased because as a wheelchair using couple we can never use a tender when on a P&O ship, but on RCI and Celebrity we would also have been ashore if the weather had changed, because they do go the extra mile to provide a good experience to all their passengers.

Yes, a very comprehensive report, and little to dispute, except to say that, in general, the P&O staff were excellent in their efforts - remember they’d had as little or even less rest than the passengers involved. So too the Red Cross, local police and other services which assisted.

We arrived back from an excursion at around 17.00 and were advised to go to the nearby Commercial Centre - we spent about two hours there.  There was a bar/cafe, McDonalds and Carrefour.  After some coffee at the bar/cafe, we used the supermarket to buy food and drink, as it was clear we would not be home “in time for dinner”, and were able to sit comfortably in the centre for our “picnic”.

Next day at Villefranche, it appeared pointless joining the queue and standing around for some considerable time, so like others we availed ourselves of the seafront hotel for coffees and refreshment, and cafes along the front also provided respite for passengers. In the event we only joined the queue when it was down to the last 50 or so, and even then, P&O staff were still offering snacks, including fruit, and drinks.

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

A comprehensive review.

The key point is about tendering protocol. If a ship has to tender from open sea, then there is always a risk. It should not tender if there are no hotels available in case things change. Tendering at Monaco during boat show is an obvious  NO NO.

• Like 4

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I dont think any Captain whether it be on P&O or any other cruise line would gamble on the weather and put the passengers and crew at any undue risk. Like at all ports of call the Captain and his senior crew will have detailed weather forecasts from varying authorities so he can make his decision and if all got the sea conditions wrong then it is just one of those things that can happen with an ever changing weather pattern in the world these days. Whilst I agree that there are some on this and every forum who would not have a bad word said about their favourite cruise line whether it be P&O or other cruise lines equally there are some who jump at every situation they can to bemoan or threaten legal action against them and often wonder if they are that bad why dont they find somebody else to cruise with.

The Captain made the right call 're safety that's not the point, it is about comfort and well being of passengers

The issue is there were no hotel rooms available so there could be no satisfactory  contingency plan for unexpected  bad weather. Never mind the weather with no hotel rooms available tendering should not be contemplated

• Like 1

Thank you so much for a very comprehensive review.  Whilst reading this review I was thinking to myself if this was P&O or some third world cruise line.  I am one of these people who would defend P&O but after this review I have to say I am very surprised by them.  I have never been on a tender, we were due to use one in Guernsey earlier this year but it was cancelled due to the weather, my god I am so relieved.  It must have been horrendous for the crew member who was injured and I hope P&O review their procedures for any future cruises that require tenders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonstone01 said:

Thank you so much for a very comprehensive review.  Whilst reading this review I was thinking to myself if this was P&O or some third world cruise line.  I am one of these people who would defend P&O but after this review I have to say I am very surprised by them.  I have never been on a tender, we were due to use one in Guernsey earlier this year but it was cancelled due to the weather, my god I am so relieved.  It must have been horrendous for the crew member who was injured and I hope P&O review their procedures for any future cruises that require tenders.

Unfortunately I think that the Captain found himself between a rock and a hard place. When to decision to go was made it is clear all ‘experts’ in weather and local conditions said it was safe to tender. Now if he had not tendered there would have been calls for his head because he have missed a port. Now there are many on here and other forums who would be up in arms about the company missing another port. Clearly they would have claimed to save money, as we have seen many times before. Indeed the NCL problems with weather are a good example of the other side. 

2 hours ago, moonstone01 said:

it should always be ultimately the captain's decision after consultation with senior officers and local pilots etc

20 hours ago, vsgnorwich said:

An interesting, but not very surprising read -

- People mostly wait around waiting for something to happen and it doesn't. 

- Some people are nice and some are selfish.

- Nobody died - although P&O tried their best sending foodstuffs ashore in tenders! What idiot from P&O didn't send a staff member to the supermarket with a credit card.

Anyway, people book cruises based on destination, and thus P&O will continue to tender at Monaco. T&Cs for cruises allow them to do this; don't like it don't cruise.

7 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Yes, a very comprehensive report, and little to dispute, except to say that, in general, the P&O staff were excellent in their efforts - remember they’d had as little or even less rest than the passengers involved. So too the Red Cross, local police and other services which assisted.

We arrived back from an excursion at around 17.00 and were advised to go to the nearby Commercial Centre - we spent about two hours there.  There was a bar/cafe, McDonalds and Carrefour.  After some coffee at the bar/cafe, we used the supermarket to buy food and drink, as it was clear we would not be home “in time for dinner”, and were able to sit comfortably in the centre for our “picnic”.

Next day at Villefranche, it appeared pointless joining the queue and standing around for some considerable time, so like others we availed ourselves of the seafront hotel for coffees and refreshment, and cafes along the front also provided respite for passengers. In the event we only joined the queue when it was down to the last 50 or so, and even then, P&O staff were still offering snacks, including fruit, and drinks.

Yep, that was the best way to handle a situation like this - Don't stand around waiting for someone to sort it out for you, take control of your own personal responsibility sooner rather than later and before the crowds do.

Edited by picsa

2 minutes ago, picsa said:

An interesting, but not very surprising read -

- People mostly wait around waiting for something to happen and it doesn't. 

- Some people are nice and some are selfish.

- Nobody died - although P&O tried their best sending foodstuffs ashore in tenders! What idiot from P&O didn't send a staff member to the supermarket with a credit card.

Anyway, people book cruises based on destination, and thus P&O will continue to tender at Monaco. T&Cs for cruises allow them to do this; don't like it don't cruise.

Yep, that was the best way to handle a situation like this - Don't stand around waiting for someone to sort it out for you, take control of your own personal responsibility sooner rather than later and before the crowds do.

But you should not have to,  as some can’t.

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But you should not have to,  as some can’t.

Accept the reality or stand in a queue - pick, because wishes won't get you anything.

As for those that really can't (and that will be a very small number), sympathy, but it isn't going to change anything.

2 minutes ago, picsa said:

Accept the reality or stand in a queue - pick, because wishes won't get you anything.

As for those that really can't (and that will be a very small number), sympathy, but it isn't going to change anything.

The “reality” is that passengers should never have been placed in this situation in the first place.