When do you get your sail and sign card

marshhawk

I remember getting my S an S card in the port, and then we turned platinum, and the card was at our cabin.  If you are not FTTF, Diamond or Platinum, where do you get your card?  We are cruising with friends who have a suite, but not sure they can go to their cabin early-so where is their card?

2 hours ago, crescami said:

...... How do you get into your room without your card? Or do they print the cards once the room is ready?

The mailboxes are outside the door.  By not giving them out when you check in, it prevents people from going to their cabin before they are ready and getting in the way of the stewards trying to clean the cabins.  

If you have priority status, you can go to your cabin as soon as you board.  Your cards will be in the mailbox but lately your cabin might not be ready.  If it isn't,  you can still drop off your carry on luggage then go grab something to eat.

Your cabin steward has all of the cards for their area when they begin cleaning.  After you cabin is cleaned, they will put the cards in the mailboxes.  

• Like 1

Royal has the same procedure and it works well for both cruise lines. Check in is a breeze now. I know that when it started there was a lot of angst expressed but I've read of very few problems with the procedure (and as with anything run by humans there are bound to be problems).

On 9/30/2019 at 4:35 AM, RWolver672 said:

The mailboxes are outside the door.  By not giving them out when you check in, it prevents people from going to their cabin before they are ready and getting in the way of the stewards trying to clean the cabins.  

If you have priority status, you can go to your cabin as soon as you board.  Your cards will be in the mailbox but lately your cabin might not be ready.  If it isn't,  you can still drop off your carry on luggage then go grab something to eat.

Your cabin steward has all of the cards for their area when they begin cleaning.  After you cabin is cleaned, they will put the cards in the mailboxes.  

This makes so much sense. I thought they changed the procedure to save time at check in.  We always have FTTF so we get early access, but we would always see "The rules don't apply to us people" trying to get in their rooms.  You could see the frustration on  the faces of the stewards working to get the rooms ready.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 5:29 PM, marshhawk said:

I remember getting my S an S card in the port, and then we turned platinum, and the card was at our cabin.  If you are not FTTF, Diamond or Platinum, where do you get your card?  We are cruising with friends who have a suite, but not sure they can go to their cabin early-so where is their card?

I think it doesn't have anything to do with status so you should be good.  Some cruises we get the S&S card when we check in, some cruises we get them in our door mail slot thingy.  You don't need your card if you're doing things like buying drinks, they give you a print out with the folio number on it, so that's all that is needed.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:03 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

This makes so much sense. I thought they changed the procedure to save time at check in.  We always have FTTF so we get early access, but we would always see "The rules don't apply to us people" trying to get in their rooms.  You could see the frustration on  the faces of the stewards working to get the rooms ready.

The new procedure was put in place for a number of reasons, chief among them stopping people from going to their cabin early and saving time at check in. 

My friend also informed me about a little-known fact- any beverages purchased with your boarding pass BEFORE you get your S&S card are calorie-free! So make sure to get as many Funship Specials as possible in before the cabins are ready 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

My friend also informed me about a little-known fact- any beverages purchased with your boarding pass BEFORE you get your S&S card are calorie-free! So make sure to get as many Funship Specials as possible in before the cabins are ready 🤣

LOLROTF. Gosh one of those would taste good right now!

No, it has nothing to do with your status.  And not all ships have mailboxes outside the door.

When I sailed Ecstasy about a year ago (Fantasy-class ships don't have mailboxes), I went straight to my cabin (yes, I'm allowed to do that), but my card was not there.  But the cabin steward saw me and came down to deliver my card so I could access the cabin.