Would you take this upsell?

sexyaznboy

7 hours ago, sexyaznboy said:

Hey everyone, I'm booked into an obstructed balcony on Regal Princess and just got an email to a minisuite for 199US/289CDN (I'm Canadian so it would be the latter).  I never have been in a minisuite before but I don't want to get used to being spoiled😂 .Would you guys take the offer?

We were in an obstructed balcony on the Royal Princess last Spring and I'm still having nightmares about it. It was the ugliest and worst view imaginable. The only time I went on the balcony was when we were at a tender port and the tender had been lowered for use.  I would have preferred an inside or ocean view cabin over the terrible, terrible obstructed balcony.  

Take the upgrade to the mini suite. You'll be able to enjoy the balcony so much more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sexyaznboy said:

I have a feeling this is the same deal, 199 USD per person would be 400 USD but in Canadian dollars it would almost be 600 CDN. Seems rather steep even though it’s cheaper than what is online

NO.  It would not be almost $600.  It should be not a dollar more than $520 (using 1.30).  If you are lucky and booked ages ago at 1.25, then Princess may use that 1.25 rate.  As I said earlier, you should not be paying what Princess sent in the notice as CAD - it is bogus.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

A number of us all got upsell offers around the same time. Our offer was $US199/pp, but was converted by Princess, at their high exchange rate, to $C289/pp

The rate in the notice is bogus.  You do not need to be paying $289 CAD (1.45 exchange rate).

We don't need the extra room mini suites offer. We'd be happy in a balcony cabin. (Actually, we are happy in our current inside cabin on the Crown considering that a balcony was more than $1,000 more expensive.)

We got an upsell offer this week to go from an OY - ocean view obstructed, to a B2 for $199. pp. I was reluctant to jump on this; we have been in multiple cat. cabins over the years, and I'm happy as long as I'm on the ship. But DH said, go for it, and contacted our TA who took care of details. Back to printing out the new boarding passes [have the Medallion on my iphone, but don't trust it], and new luggage tags. Then I checked the OBC's - the stock holder's disappeared, so I faxed another and it was put back within an hour! Looked again and noticed that the OBC for holding FCC was still showing the $25. pp based on the original booking for an ocean view. With the new balcony, it should be $50. pp so another call to Princess. That's when my BP went up. According to Princess I'm stuck with the $25. BUT it's not like I got a free upgrade I said, I did pay for it even if it's a lower rate, thus we should each have $50.pp OBC. No they wouldn't budge.  I then asked that if I got an upsell offer to a full suite, would the daily "service charge" still be at the original rate?  Oh, no, that would go up. So, DH called our TA who said he would handle it with someone at Princess who's higher up in the food chain. 

Darcy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lx200gps said:

A number of us all got upsell offers around the same time. Our offer was $US199/pp, but was converted by Princess, at their high exchange rate, to $C289/pp

Thanks for your opinion, I'm leaning towards not taking it as well!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

We got an upsell offer this week to go from an OY - ocean view obstructed, to a B2 for $199. pp. I was reluctant to jump on this; we have been in multiple cat. cabins over the years, and I'm happy as long as I'm on the ship. But DH said, go for it, and contacted our TA who took care of details. Back to printing out the new boarding passes [have the Medallion on my iphone, but don't trust it], and new luggage tags. Then I checked the OBC's - the stock holder's disappeared, so I faxed another and it was put back within an hour! Looked again and noticed that the OBC for holding FCC was still showing the $25. pp based on the original booking for an ocean view. With the new balcony, it should be $50. pp so another call to Princess. That's when my BP went up. According to Princess I'm stuck with the $25. BUT it's not like I got a free upgrade I said, I did pay for it even if it's a lower rate, thus we should each have $50.pp OBC. No they wouldn't budge.  I then asked that if I got an upsell offer to a full suite, would the daily "service charge" still be at the original rate?  Oh, no, that would go up. So, DH called our TA who said he would handle it with someone at Princess who's higher up in the food chain. 

Darcy

Princess 'seems' to have different rules for benefits if you booked the cabin originally, and if you took an upsell ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Darcy

This is correct and fair. You get to keep all your original perks. Had you booked the balcony originally you would have had the $50 balcony booking perk but you didn't book a balcony.  If you had had complimentary gratuity and that wasn't a promotion offered when you took the upsell would you ask them to take away that perk, of course not. You might get your way by having your TA argue with Princess and they will do it as a customer goodwill but you were not entitled to it. I frequently take upsells to full suites and keep all my original perks from when I booked my mini but do not even think to ask current perks because I already am getting a bargain price. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Thanks 1

We got an upsell offer for December 1 cruise to move from a CCMini-suite to a full suite for $499 pp.  I can think of better things to do with $1,000!  No thank you.

Edited by jangor
spelling
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, cruznliz said:

We were in an obstructed balcony on the Royal Princess last Spring and I'm still having nightmares about it. It was the ugliest and worst view imaginable. The only time I went on the balcony was when we were at a tender port and the tender had been lowered for use.  I would have preferred an inside or ocean view cabin over the terrible, terrible obstructed balcony.  

And I disagree. We've had an obstructed balcony on deck 8 and LOVED it.

There is nothing terrible-terrible-simply awful about it.

I booked it again for our Thanksgiving cruise.

IMG_0054.JPG

1 hour ago, jangor said:

We got an upsell offer for December 1 cruise to move from a CCMini-suite to a full suite for $499 pp.  I can think of better things to do with $1,000!  No thank you.

No doubt I would feel the same, but posting price quotes means nothing without the length of the cruise (# of nights).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Yes, yours looked fine for that type of cabin - we had similar once.  But not all Obstructed's are created equal.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

IMG_0054.JPG

To each his own. I guess I'm spoiled by not having a tender on my balcony. Our view: 

IMG_6078.JPG

No, I would not take it.  I got an "upsell" on our upcoming cruise.  From a Caribe balcony to a mini suite, for $400 pp.  $800 more for an extra TV, a bath tub, and a sofa.  We don't own a TV and won't watch it, we don't have a bath tub in our home and wouldn't use it, and the sofa is just another place to sit.  It's on a 14-day Hawaiian cruise.  In looking at the rates, balcony cabins are going for $200 less than what we paid.  However, looking at the big picture, we got an OBC of over $1,000, free air flight, and a free dinner in the Steakhouse.  Which is the better deal?  Step back and think it through.  I'd stay put, but that's just me and how I look at the big picture.  BTW, our ship is about 1/2 full for our November 19 cruise.

Wow, seems like lots of different opinions, it’s true that each person has their own comfort level, that’s what makes the world so great! I was on an obstructed balcony two years ago and I didn’t mind the tender in front of me, I liked sitting out there for the fresh air and a bit of sun. The full balconies are not worth the price to me but must admit I’d never been in a minisuite and was very curious. And I do agree with the previous poster about the bad exchange rate. I would pay the 199 usd and not the 289 Cdn. Still about 60 a night for both of us, I think I’ll pass. Probably too late though I’m sure someone has taken the bait already!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elliair said:

No, I would not take it.  I got an "upsell" on our upcoming cruise.  From a Caribe balcony to a mini suite, for $400 pp.  $800 more for an extra TV, a bath tub, and a sofa.  We don't own a TV and won't watch it, we don't have a bath tub in our home and wouldn't use it, and the sofa is just another place to sit.  It's on a 14-day Hawaiian cruise.  In looking at the rates, balcony cabins are going for $200 less than what we paid.  However, looking at the big picture, we got an OBC of over $1,000, free air flight, and a free dinner in the Steakhouse.  Which is the better deal?  Step back and think it through.  I'd stay put, but that's just me and how I look at the big picture.  BTW, our ship is about 1/2 full for our November 19 cruise.

Well, maybe not 1/2 but I have not seen that many open cabins this close to departure.  I wonder what is keeping it from selling?

look for the TAs that specialize in putting together last minute deals to gobble up some of that inventory at deeply discounted rates.

1 hour ago, tailspintom said:

Well, maybe not 1/2 but I have not seen that many open cabins this close to departure.  I wonder what is keeping it from selling?

look for the TAs that specialize in putting together last minute deals to gobble up some of that inventory at deeply discounted rates.

From our roll call:

OK, I didn't believe my own numbers the first time so went back and actually counted what was still available. As of 9/25, there are STILL 367 cabins available (29 mini-suites, 98 balconies, 35 oceanview, 78 obstructed oceanview and 127 interior cabins).  I didn't even look at the suites.  According to the Princess website, there are 1,297 cabins available so my guess of a little more than half is off somewhat but still, around 30 percent of the cabins are empty as of now.  I'm guessing that it will stay close to that since Princess isn't running any kind of special pricing on this cruise.

dlm

The deal we were offered is no deal for us.  I can see newbies taking the bait - been there done that.