New Drivers Licenses Required For Air Travel

Keith1010

55 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not quite sure that it is an "improvement".

But it definitely has been approved.

🙂

A mis-type on my part of "improvement".  I meant "approved".

Based on the NBC News Report this evening of the woman boarding a Delta flight with no ticket and no proper ID, having gotten through TSA "security" and the Delta gate agent, a required for an enhanced driver's license tells me that this "requirement" is nothing more than bureaucratic nonsense.  This requirement will increase the revenue that all 50 States Bureaus of Motor Vehicles receive by all who must renew their license before they normally expire.  This requirement will cause inconvenience and stress for some.  

For such a prospective passenger to get  a seat on a plane of whatever airline reveals a flaw in the "security system" that an "enhanced driver's license" is not going to solve.

FWIW....my suspicions and nothing more.

The lady had the proper documentation to get through TSA security.

She then proceeded to have a large quantity of adult beverages prior to boarding her flight.

She then headed to a gate, perhaps hers, perhaps another, and passed through the boarding process without scanning a BP at the jetway.  My guess is that it was as a gaggle of people approached the gate agent scanning BPs and she just boarded in that scrum.

Onboard, when asked for a BP, she didn't produce one.  I suspect she had it from the TSA checkpoint, but didn't know where it was or didn't care to try to find it.  She was asked for ID and she presented her phone and photos.  This leads me to the assumption above about the adult beverages.

In summary, my guess:  She legitimately passed through TSA screening and then, drunkenly, boarded a plane without a BP scanning.  And couldn't (for whatever reason)  produce her actual BP and ID (due to intoxication).

Again, just my hypothesis from experience with TSA and DL processes.

She may have boarded the flight using the new biometric screening. On September 14 we flew Atlanta to Amsterdam, on Delta, and only needed to look at a facial recognition scanner and get a check mark on the screen to board. As to her boarding pass and ID, possibly she misplaced them after TSA or had stuck them somewhere in her belongings and couldn't recall where.

My state wants me to wait as they want to take care of urgent needs first, I will check back in a year and half.

I have passport, passport card and soon GE card.

I use my passport card when flying in the US, if I go out of the US I carry my passport.

image.png.9b1b361ab869febf8487b4c2f0055f67.png

All of this varies by state.

As I mentioned in my state where we can renew every other time on line they sent me a letter noting I could book early and we had no requirements to do this in person or to do anything special such as providing a passport.

The key to all of this is to be aware this is going into effect next October and plan accordingly.

Keith

If getting a new driver's license is too much of a pain, you can always apply for a passport card through the mail with the Department of State. Passport cards don't work for international flights, but they are RealID Compliant Government Issued Photo ID for domestic flight purposes. 

First thing first, stop blaming the states for this, it is the Feds that mandated it. PA tried to fight it and lost, they are charging $30.00 1 time fee for the RealID plus your normal license fee. After that it is just you license fee. Do I want to carry around addition id just so I can fly, no. I carry my passport when going international and just my driver's license when doing domestic. Why make a big thing about something minor and a basic improvement over what we use now to fly.

For, me.   I ALWAYS use a passport.   It is no more valuable than my credit cards,  money  etc.   So,  it's been with me for over 15 years.    Best-   no address when verifying ID-   which I wanted  due to my employment.   

Keeping it with my is my habit.  It works well for me,   I know precisely where it is and part of my habits with safeguarding my property during travel.     It's usual-   I not hunting around for it,  etc. 

All kinds of options to choose.    

7 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

For, me.   I ALWAYS use a passport.   It is no more valuable than my credit cards,  money  etc.   So,  it's been with me for over 15 years.    Best-   no address when verifying ID-   which I wanted  due to my employment.   

Keeping it with my is my habit.  It works well for me,   I know precisely where it is and part of my habits with safeguarding my property during travel.     It's usual-   I not hunting around for it,  etc. 

All kinds of options to choose.    

I often use my Global Entry/DHS card as my ID because it doesn't have any address on it. Occasionally I'll run in to a TSA agent that doesn't believe it's a valid ID, but usually it's fine.