Nieuw Amsterdam vs Nieuw Statendam

tere247

Haven’t been in HAL in many years and I’m looking to try again and would appreciate any feedback. 

Our one and only HAL cruise was 9 years ago on the Maasdam. 14 days with the most amazing Caribbean itinerary. But we were bored on the ship. Best entertainment was the crew show. We really enjoyed that. Rest of the entertainment was a xylophone player and a violinist. Not our cup of tea. 

We've mostly sailed Princess, but it seems that with the new ships, the ship is the destination, Not the itinerary.  

Don’t get me wrong, the ship is very important, as is the itinerary. Quite frankly we’re getting bored with Princess’ same Caribbean ports and we’re looking for a change. Last few cruises we didn’t bother to get off the ship. 

Now to my question, 2 ships, same itinerary. If you had to choose between the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Nieuw  Statendam, which would you choose and why?  

We are in out early 70’s and fairly active. We only want to compare the ships, not the ports as we’ve been to them before, just not on the same cruise. The ports offered are the relaxing beach ports. Just what we need right now. 

Thanks in advance. 

We have sailed on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Nieuw Statendam and enjoyed them both.  The N.S. is slightly bigger and has a couple of more dining options.  It also has a few more entertainment options.  I love the showers on the N.S. -best bathrooms at sea we have ever had.   

I think either ship is a good choice, but if I had to pick one I would say pick the N.S.

32 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

We have sailed on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Nieuw Statendam and enjoyed them both.  The N.S. is slightly bigger and has a couple of more dining options.  It also has a few more entertainment options.  I love the showers on the N.S. -best bathrooms at sea we have ever had.   

I think either ship is a good choice, but if I had to pick one I would say pick the N.S.

We 2nd your choice of NS 😀

I would choose the Nieuw Amsterdam. Although larger than I care for, it is a lovely ship. 
The cabins are larger than a comparable category cabin on the Nieuw Statendam, which matters to me. The cabins are comfortable, and I can even watch TV from the couch in my preferred cabin category. 

Plenty of entertainment choices at night, and a decent variety of restaurants. The Nieuw Amsterdam has the interactive TVs, in case that matters to you. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I would choose the Nieuw Amsterdam. Although larger than I care for, it is a lovely ship. 
The cabins are larger than a comparable category cabin on the Nieuw Statendam, which matters to me. The cabins are comfortable, and I can even watch TV from the couch in my preferred cabin category. 

Plenty of entertainment choices at night, and a decent variety of restaurants. The Nieuw Amsterdam has the interactive TVs, in case that matters to you. 

Totally agree with Ruth.  Rooms are slightly larger on the NA vs NS.  Perhaps only inches or so but we noticed it immediately.  However either ship is wonderful.  Have a wonderful cruise!

40 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I also agree with Ruth!!!!

For us we enjoy the wonderful promenade where you can actually have a great walk or enjoy sitting in the loungers! 
NS very narrow not enjoyable walking

with views of the tenders or no loungers! That’s our opinion!  We like her size and we did her inaugural in 2010 out of Venice with an additional 4 more cruises on her!

Denise😊

• Like 2

If you like to Rock Out at the RS Rock Room do the NS.  Also a more modern looking ship.

NA is very traditional style.  They are 2 completely different styles.

I would sail both again for the above reasons.

My last 2 cruises were on the twin sisters of those 2 ships.  Based on those experiences, I recommend Nieuw Statendam.  Entertainment is better, and I loved the huge walk in shower on Koningsdam. 

Plus, they destroyed what used to be a nice coffee stand with pastries in the Crows Nest on the Signature Class ships.  Nieuw Statendam has the Dutch Café. 

I disembarked Koningsdam with the opinion I'd do it again.  I disembarked Eurodam very disappointed with HAL. 

A couple of weeks ago, I did a search here but didn’t find exactly what I wanted. Then, Low and behold, after I made my post I saw a comparison of Celebrity to HAL. NS was discussed and that did help. Here I’m also hearing good things about the NA. So, I guess I’ll be happy on either one. I guess it’s flip a coin time. 

Thank you again for your responses. 

I'm also having trouble deciding between the two. I would love the "newness" of the NS and the Dutch Cafe. Don't need the Rock Room or the extra passengers of the NS.

Would love the full promenade deck on the NA.

I am looking at February 1 and the price is very reasonable on NA. Is it because of Super Bowl, do you think? I will be in FL so will drive to port and not need a hotel. Nowhere do I see that there is a charter or super large group on her that week. 

Can anyone tell me about the aft NS on deck four or six? Seems like a big walk to the Neptune Lounge

Edited by tennispretzel

Both ships have advantages and disadvantages.  You have to decide what features are most important to you and choose accordingly.

We've sailed NA several times and NS once, but we're sailing on her again B2B this Christmas/New Year's.  We dislike the smaller cabins/narrow Promenade Deck on NS but love Rolling Stones Rock Room/New York Deli/Dutch Café, none of which are available on NA.  On NA we enjoy the wide, wonderful Promenade and the large inside cabins (category J & K).  On NS we book one of the balcony cabins which have the huge verandahs.  That outside space makes up for the smaller interior square footage.  We do pay extra for the outdoor space.

I can't recommend one over the other because we'd sail NA again too.  Hard decision.  Let us know which ship you select.

We had the same dilemma as you. Same itinerary on the NA and the NS. After going online and looking at ship reviews and tours, we went with the NS. We like her airy, more modern style and decor. Our only other HAL cruise was on the Westerdam, and while we had a great cruise, I disliked her more traditional (dark and gloomy) interiors. It was depressing in my opinion. From what I’ve read and seen, Niew Statendam’s interiors will be a welcome change and more in tune with what I consider aesthetically pleasing. 

I have sailed on the NA and Koningsdam, sister ship to the NS.  I like both ships for different reasons.

NA is smaller, more intimate, cabins are a tad bit larger.  Crew is still great, food was wonderful, dining room is much nicer, I feel like I am in a restaurant, not a dining hall.

NS or Koningsdam I like because of the different music venue's, food venues and the beautiful showers, NS is the Pinnacle Class ship, which is HAL's largest ship.  Dining venues are wonderful as I said above, however, the dining room lacked a sense of intimacy, I felt like I was in a dining hall, not a dining room.  But that did not stop me from booking the NS in 2021, very excited for this cruise.

IMHO I think you will enjoy either ship.