12 days in Italy

waterbug123

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lois, congrats on your retirement!!

I remember you as one of the first "regulars" on Cruise Critic that I chatted with -- and it was on these boards. Remember the days of Jane110 and Caviargal?

I still have another few years of work in front of me. Til then, I keep adding cruises and trips to my 'bucket list' that are too long for now....

Thank you so much:classic_smile:......I wish I could have just left but that is not really the right thing to do.  Been with the company 29 years.

They sort of screwed me at the beginning of this year and I have tried to deal with the "new items" but change is really hard....especially when you get older.

I will just deal with the next 2 months and then BE GONE!!!

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Thank you so much:classic_smile:......I wish I could have just left but that is not really the right thing to do.  Been with the company 29 years.

They sort of screwed me at the beginning of this year and I have tried to deal with the "new items" but change is really hard....especially when you get older.

I will just deal with the next 2 months and then BE GONE!!!

Sounds like what I just went through at work.  Companies are getting smarter at messing with older workers and getting past age discrimination, screwing us.  I do have my ethics and morals and left.  I wasn't there as long as you and there was no pension involved.  I took the 2 weeks pay they offered me and said "bye".    I'II have to just find something to make a little money until next April and then I'm DONE.  I can get Medicare, to having to work to get medical coverage isn't a necessity,  But, at 66, I get a full dose of my Social Security to add to my 401K...  It's worth it to hang on!!

So glad that you had that great time!

38 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Sounds like what I just went through at work.  Companies are getting smarter at messing with older workers and getting past age discrimination, screwing us.  I do have my ethics and morals and left.  I wasn't there as long as you and there was no pension involved.  I took the 2 weeks pay they offered me and said "bye".    I'II have to just find something to make a little money until next April and then I'm DONE.  I can get Medicare, to having to work to get medical coverage isn't a necessity,  But, at 66, I get a full dose of my Social Security to add to my 401K...  It's worth it to hang on!!

So glad that you had that great time!

Hi, thanks so much.:classic_smile:....I have my morals too and I have a 401 that has been in place for almost 29 years. They

did not offer it when I first started (1990) but a few years later and I have been contributing every pay check. And the

company matches me .35 on the 1.00...…..

Another difference, I am leaving with another 4 weeks vacation coming to me via paycheck.

It was just another whole thing....they did keep me but I was working in the same office for 28 years and then they

moved me to our HQ...….(it is across the parking lot from my old office) but TOTALLY different atmosphere and my

old office was like a family.  This boss at HQ...…..she is a MICRO MANAGER:classic_wacko: Oh this move came back in Jan

and I have tried my best to deal with change.....it is VERY hard.  And I am able to leave so I am:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks so much.:classic_smile:....I have my morals too and I have a 401 that has been in place for almost 29 years. They

did not offer it when I first started (1990) but a few years later and I have been contributing every pay check. And the

company matches me .35 on the 1.00...…..

Another difference, I am leaving with another 4 weeks vacation coming to me via paycheck.

It was just another whole thing....they did keep me but I was working in the same office for 28 years and then they

moved me to our HQ...….(it is across the parking lot from my old office) but TOTALLY different atmosphere and my

old office was like a family.  This boss at HQ...…..she is a MICRO MANAGER:classic_wacko: Oh this move came back in Jan

and I have tried my best to deal with change.....it is VERY hard.  And I am able to leave so I am:classic_biggrin:

Last OT, I promise.

I understand.  I was asked why I didn't put in for a position at our sister hotel - I said I did not like the culture over there.  They are like a bunch of stuck-up robots - our place was a family.   I looked around and realized that the next oldest person was 35 and the rest were all 20-somethings.  I was never going to get ahead with the new management...

OK.  clothing question.  I'm gone for 14 days in 5 days.  I have to pack in my carry on because there will be no extra room in the car once I put in all the camping stuff.  I was going to bring my convertible hiking pants, my jeans, and 1 pair of leggings and wearing another pair when I drive.  But, now I got a pair of the Duluth Trading pants that I really like.  Do I try to stuff those in?  I have to change my choice of tops too since the weather is going to be cooler than planned.  5 long sleeved T-shirts, 2 hoodie sweaters, 1 fleece jacket and 1 down jacket.  I won't have the ability to wash& dry stuff this time, so I have to bring a full compliment of underwear and socks (ugh).   Wearing my low trail shoes, tossing my boots in nooks in the car, and taking my Merrell slip-ons to wear when I have to walk to the toilets in the middle of the night (can't take flip flops as it'll be dirt and stones and 30 degrees) Too much?  Not enough?  

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

OK.  clothing question.  I'm gone for 14 days in 5 days.  I have to pack in my carry on because there will be no extra room in the car once I put in all the camping stuff.  I was going to bring my convertible hiking pants, my jeans, and 1 pair of leggings and wearing another pair when I drive.  But, now I got a pair of the Duluth Trading pants that I really like.  Do I try to stuff those in?  I have to change my choice of tops too since the weather is going to be cooler than planned.  5 long sleeved T-shirts, 2 hoodie sweaters, 1 fleece jacket and 1 down jacket.  I won't have the ability to wash& dry stuff this time, so I have to bring a full compliment of underwear and socks (ugh).   Wearing my low trail shoes, tossing my boots in nooks in the car, and taking my Merrell slip-ons to wear when I have to walk to the toilets in the middle of the night (can't take flip flops as it'll be dirt and stones and 30 degrees) Too much?  Not enough?  

Take the extra pants, especially if you won't be doing laundry. When camping (if you can swing it), I think it's better to have perhaps one more pair of pants than one thinks is needed -- just in case. Stuff happens. :classic_ohmy:

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Take the extra pants, especially if you won't be doing laundry. When camping (if you can swing it), I think it's better to have perhaps one more pair of pants than one thinks is needed -- just in case. Stuff happens. :classic_ohmy:

I agree.  For 2 weeks and no laundry, take the extra pants. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You mean like if I fall in a creek (like I did the other month and had only those pant) ???  

I'll probably take them.  I don't have to pack everything in a bag - I can stuff them somewhere in the car if I have to.  

This is a little different for me.  Usually I have a bathroom where I can wash out some things and let them dry for a day!  I may have some sunshine to get some things done, but I really don't want my undies hanging on a rope in the campgrounds!!!  And, they'll freeze overnight...

• Like 1

Hi girls....well, the big cruise is in April...I am sailing on a TA crossing for 16 nights and then flying from Barcelona to

Lisbon for a river cruise on the Douro---3 days pre cruise and 7 on the River. So will be away 26 days.:classic_biggrin:....probably

28 as I am trying to figure out the best way to get back home LOL....the cruise ends in Porto and I think flights would

have better options out of Madrid (have never visited there) so if I spend a couple of days there before flying home?

Might be good!  Anyway, I will be bringing 1 checked bag and 1 carry on-the same way I always travel.

Oh, this is my big celebration retirement cruise! But I did book a Caribbean cruise for January too!

Hi Lois, I think you made a great choice for your celebration trip. Combining an ocean cruise with a river cruise and a land trip-awesome!  Will look forward to reading all about it when you return. In the meantime, you will have fun planning. Hope that makes November and December pass quickly.

Sharon

On 11/2/2019 at 6:39 AM, Lois R said:

Hi girls....well, the big cruise is in April...I am sailing on a TA crossing for 16 nights and then flying from Barcelona to

Lisbon for a river cruise on the Douro---3 days pre cruise and 7 on the River. So will be away 26 days.:classic_biggrin:....probably

28 as I am trying to figure out the best way to get back home LOL....the cruise ends in Porto and I think flights would

have better options out of Madrid (have never visited there) so if I spend a couple of days there before flying home?

Might be good!  Anyway, I will be bringing 1 checked bag and 1 carry on-the same way I always travel.

Oh, this is my big celebration retirement cruise! But I did book a Caribbean cruise for January too!

oh wow, that sounds wonderful!  Congrats on your upcoming retirement.   A TA is a great way to start the celebration :)

Thanks so much:classic_smile: got great news from my rep at Silversea too.  They have been running an airfare special and flying home is only 550.00 for Business Class:classic_biggrin:

I am still in the process of working on the trip. After my river cruise I am going to Madrid for 2 days. Need to find a hotel and get from Porto to Madrid:classic_smile:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks so much:classic_smile: got great news from my rep at Silversea too.  They have been running an airfare special and flying home is only 550.00 for Business Class:classic_biggrin:

I am still in the process of working on the trip. After my river cruise I am going to Madrid for 2 days. Need to find a hotel and get from Porto to Madrid:classic_smile:

Woo hoo for business class :classic_biggrin: that's a fantastic deal.   Never been to Madrid, but the parts of Spain I have visited have been wonderful :)

Well, I fly out for my Rome vacation in a week. Every advance forecast shows rainy weather, so I am keeping that in mind in deciding what to pack.

I don't really wear skirts/dresses often when traveling, unless I have a fancy event to attend. Also, I tend to build my entire wardrobe around a single color -- usually black in the fall/winter months. (This time paired with various blues and some black/gray animal prints). And I don't like jeans. Or boots. LOL.

So far, my 'list in progress" looks like this:

• 3 pair of black pants: 1 pair Eileen Fisher stretch crepe straight leg (mainly for evening); 1 pair of Eileen Fisher ponte knit pants, slim leg (slightly warmer and can take a little rain); 1 pair of Eileen Fisher skinny ankle pants with zipper at hem -- for really rainy days. 
  • 1 pair of gray ponte knit pants (like the black ones, for variety)
  • Black EF wool crepe cardigan sweater (dressier for evenings, for warmth)
  • Black and off=white EF short cardigan (linen crepe; excellent for travel)
  • Nic and Zoe lightweight 4-way "tye-dyed" cardigan in blue/black
  • 2 Nic and Zoe lightweight, patterned pullover sweaters (this and this)
  • 1 Black 3/4 sleeve t-shirt and 1 Black short-sleeve t-shirt for layering
  • 2 J Jill black Wearever shells for layering and warmth, easily washable
  • 2 print 3/4 sleeve t-shirts: gray/black leopard and black with small white "splotches"
  • Nic and Zoe pullover blouse in black/brown/blue for evening (layer under black sweater)
  • Michael Kors black/gray/off white leopard print top (day or evening; packs like a dream)

If I toss in an extra top, it would be this one.

Shoes: 

• 2 pair of sturdy athletic-type walking shoes in mainly black and black/blue (normally would only take 1 pair but afraid they may get soaked....)
  • Cole Haan slip-on black suede loafers
  • Cole Haan camo print black/gray urban sneakers
  • Dressy AK square-toe black flats  

Other:

• Black lined 3/4 jacket with hood (ok for light rain; will carry on)
  • Lightweight black waterproof rain jacket for a really rainy day
  • Wright socks (thanks to Cruise Kitty) to wear with the walking shoes -- no blisters!
  • 1 pr Silk underwear top/bottoms, just in case

Travel outfit:

• Black EF "jogger style" pants
  • Black t-shirt (3/4 sleeve)
  • EF black/white "marled" cardigan
  • Blue/black abstract scarf (similar)
  • Black camo sneakers
  • Black nylon Marc Jacobs Natasha crossbody bag

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Sounds like you have everything you need.:classic_smile:...I would end up bringing way more tops. (but that is just me).

How long are you going to be gone?

I'll probably toss in a couple more lightweight tops that I can layer. 

Counting travel days I will be gone 12 days. 

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Oh, nice!  I know you love Italy so I know you will have a great time. Where are you going exactly?

I'm planning to just stay put in Rome except for one overnight (via train) to Ravenna to see the mosaics there. 

It's low season so I got a great deal on my favorite hotel near the Pantheon and I am all set with dining reservations at my favorite restaurants for the first four nights. Now if only it doesn't bucket rain, I will be a happy traveler. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm planning to just stay put in Rome except for one overnight (via train) to Ravenna to see the mosaics there. 

It's low season so I got a great deal on my favorite hotel near the Pantheon and I am all set with dining reservations at my favorite restaurants for the first four nights. Now if only it doesn't bucket rain, I will be a happy traveler. :classic_biggrin:

Sounds lovely! I am sure you will have a wonderful trip:classic_biggrin:

5 pair of shoes???   Can one pair be multi-purpose?  Just me...

Oh, I'm back today from my camping adventure.  I took the 3 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of leggings.  I didn't wear the jeans - there was no need to "dress up" for any of my dinners - leggings or hiking pants were just fine in Monument Valley at the hotel.  I ended up with one extra shirt, too - my white T-shirt that I had taken to go with the jeans.  I also use that shirt for work under a jacket, so I didn't want to wear it camping and possibly get it yucked up.   I did buy 3 T-shirts during the trip (one 100th Anniversary shirt from Zion, one T-shirt from Bryce Canyon NP and a long sleeve from Zion just because) and a nice turquoise necklace from a woman in Monument Valley and was able to put all of this in my Sherpani Oslo backpack.  

My tie-dye hiking  boots did GREAT!  They shed all the dirt that was put on them.  The only place I didn't wear them was at my campsite at Zion National Park.  They had red clay dirt as the base for the sites.  I was wearing my Keen Voyageurs (the same ones I had on when I fell in the creek) when I was setting up my camp.  There were totally covered with red clay after just 20 minutes.  I decided not to chance my beautiful boots, so I kept them in the car and changed into them when I was going out and about.    

Remember to have "un etto" of pizza from Bonci for me!!!  And a quarto or two of wine!!!   Have a ton of fun!!!

P.S.  I DID trip and fall once, but just in the dirt, not in a creek this time 😉

• Like 3