Breakfast or lunch conversation

lenquixote66

I was probably lucky too in that I started work in an age where jobs were plentiful and if you didn’t like one it wasn’t really an issue to walk away and start a new one the next day.

Mrs Guts is probably equally interesting.

Typist,

Secretary

Pathology technician, eating lunch over a bucket of dissected brains

shop assistant

Building Society (bank) teller

Cleaning motels

assembling electronics

uni Student (a story of its self)

lecturing at University

teaching senior High

Working for the Board of Studies

Consultant to some historical sites

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Funny I am similar, I once had a bloke asked me what I did before law, I told him a few things, then added one every morning, morning tea, lunch and afternoon for a week in fact I’m not sure I could list them all now sure I’d forget some...

Bagger at a grocery store (while finishing school)

petrol pumping

Bank from junior clerk to assistant accountant

Computer Consultant selling and training

Teacher at College

Photographer wow in so many varieties, weddings, commercial, portrait studios, restaurants (a bit like the ones on ships) babies in shopping centres.

Selling electrical goods, TVs Stereoes Fridges washers etc

Managing a 5 seat hotel

managing a chain of Gas stations

Town Crier for promotional company

Santa clause, both as a photographer and the man in red

Managing a Camera Store, about three times for different companies

Finance Manager for Australian Defence Forces

I am sure I have missed some out.

then for the last 25 years Barrister.

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Actually pretty unimpressive, while I was headhunted frequently it took me a long time to find something I really enjoy.

I am sure you were very good at what you did.

When I finished school my parents weren’t really in a position for me to attend university, but jobs were plentiful, two local bank managers actually nearly claim to blows over which bank I would go to work for. It came down to who would give me the earliest start date.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I was probably lucky too in that I started work in an age where jobs were plentiful and if you didn’t like one it wasn’t really an issue to walk away and start a new one the next day.

Typist,

Secretary

shop assistant

Cleaning motels

assembling electronics

lecturing at University

teaching senior High

Mrs.66 I believe had 5 jobs. I was just counting to myself re my jobs and got to 32 but I am sure I had more.However,like you I spent 25 years in one job.I had an idea of going into law but unfortunately did not follow through .

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Maybe next time I am asked what I do, I will just pick one of my past lives at random and run with that,

I have 2 daughters. One has had only one job and will likely only have this one job.

My other daughter is in her second job and will most likely not have any others.

😀

My daughter has had a few, started out in child care, then legal secretary (probably that should be first as she took care of my chambers from age about 12 or 13) then PA to the State General of the Salvation Army, then back to Law as a paralegal now has her own legal practice. My son on the other hand has had a few false starts due to some health problems, started out doing medicine, now into computers and writing (great as he can work at his own pace, sometimes needing to stop other times working 100 hr weeks) according to how he is going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

There are people who have the perception that if your surname ends with a vowel you are a member of organized crime.

I suppose there might be a few, but hardly enough to get upset about.  There are also people who wear aluminum foil hats to prevent the CIA from reading their thoughts.  

In any event, , when you mention a surname ending in a vowel, are you referring to names like Morse, Blake, or Blaine or do you mean a pronounced vowel — like Obama, or Kennedy?   While I imagine there are some people who do not think well of bearers of those last two names, I have never heard anyone linking them with organized crime.

• Like 1

When I finished studying law (the story of how I started I will leave for now) Mrs Gut who had left school at 15 and had an accident that prevented her returning to anything she knew, went to uni as a mature age student to get student loans for us to live on while I got on my feet as a Barrister.

The first six months she was in tears or close too every night, she was terrified by computers, was the oldest in most of her classes etc. Hang in there honey we really need the extra money for only a few more months.

She applied to do open foundation (a pathways program for admission) was told less than a quarter of you will get places those over 30 should look to do the STAT test, (the last year it was free, if it had cost what it does now I doubt we could have afforded it), no offer of a place, second week of the Academic year got a call, does she still want a place.

anyway B.A. I typed every assignment she handed in.

Three years later, graduation. The Head of History says “I think you should do your honours year” so Gut now types up a 10,000 word thesis.

A year later, the Dean “You should do your PhD”. 

Me well that’s 100,000 words, you better get over your fear of computers (actually wish I had typed it as it was more work to reformat it that if I had done it myself, funnily now she knows more about computers than I do).

The positive.... that was how I eventually got her to try a cruise. But again that’s probably a different story for another time.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Typist,

Secretary

shop assistant

Cleaning motels

assembling electronics

lecturing at University

teaching senior High

Thinking back :  deck hand on a yacht club tender, cattle herder, swimming pool life guard, night counter man at an interstate highway rest stop, groundskeeper, dishwasher, apple picker, laundromat attendant - and that’s without reference to any part of my Cruise Critic name.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When I finished studying law (the story of how I started I will leave for now) Mrs Gut who had left school at 15 and had an accident that prevented her returning to anything she knew, went to uni as a mature age student to get student loans for us to live on while I got on my feet as a Barrister.

The first six months she was in tears or close too every night, she was terrified by computers, was the oldest in most of her classes etc. Hang in there honey we really need the extra money for only a few more months.

She applied to do open foundation (a pathways program for admission) was told less than a quarter of you will get places those over 30 should look to do the STAT test, (the last year it was free, if it had cost what it does now I doubt we could have afforded it), no offer of a place, second week of the Academic year got a call, does she still want a place.

anyway B.A. I typed every assignment she handed in.

Three years later, graduation. The Head of History says “I think you should do your honours year” so Gut now types up a 10,000 word thesis.

A year later, the Dean “You should do your PhD”. 

Me well that’s 100,000 words, you better get over your fear of computers (actually wish I had typed it as it was more work to reformat it that if I had done it myself, funnily now she knows more about computers than I do).

The positive.... that was how I eventually got her to try a cruise. But again that’s probably a different story for another time.

That is wonderful .I am sure she is an inspiration to everyone who knows her.

Hopefully someday we will be on a cruise with both of you.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose there might be a few, but hardly enough to get upset about.  There are also people who wear aluminum foil hats to prevent the CIA from reading their thoughts.  

In any event, , when you mention a surname ending in a vowel, are you referring to names like Morse, Blake, or Blaine or do you mean a pronounced vowel — like Obama, or Kennedy?   While I imagine there are some people who do not think well of bearers of those last two names, I have never heard anyone linking them with organized crime.

Huh, I thought the Kennedy family were alleged bootleggers back in the day.  Weren't they called part of the Irish Mafia.  

Anyway, I think the times have changed and thinking about a lot of things like this have changed along with the times.  

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You never heard of alleged criminal activity with the Kennedy family ?

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course - rumors abound (some probably based upon fact) - but none that I’ve heard involving organized crime.

When JFK was elected a prominent periodical featured an article:

”When John F Kennedy won the US Presidential Election we had the Irish mafia in the White House”.

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Huh, I thought the Kennedy family were alleged bootleggers back in the day.  Weren't they called part of the Irish Mafia.  

Anyway, I think the times have changed and thinking about a lot of things like this have changed along with the times.  

One hundred percent correct re the Kennedy family.One of my cousins married into the family and heard all the stories from his wife.

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When JFK was elected a prominent periodical featured an article:

”When John F Kennedy won the US Presidential Election we had the Irish mafia in the White House”.

I googled that quote and it doesn't appear to exist.  But more importantly, IMO, is that "Irish mafia" wasn't like "Mafia Mafia."  Not like trump.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It does exist.It is from an Irish publication. It is also referenced in many books about JFK.

Please provide a link.  But, again, Irish Mafia isn't like Mafia Mafia.  Maybe ask Jim Comey.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is one job I never had but I did work for the Federal Reserve Bank part time when I was in college.

For a short period of time I had visions of working for the Fed Reserve Bank, but never had near enough the credentials.  I guess it was for the best because things turned out OK. 

My reference to bank Asst VP was really just tonge-in-cheek because everyone seems to be kind of down about the title. 

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My reference to bank Asst VP was really just tonge-in-cheek because everyone seems to be kind of down about the title. 

From my limited experience, I never saw one over the age of 30.  And they had no authority. But that was many years ago 🙂

1 minute ago, clo said:

Please provide a link.  But, again, Irish Mafia isn't like Mafia Mafia.  Maybe ask Jim Comey.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

2 minutes ago, clo said:

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I cannot do links.I told you that once before.The article appeared in Irish American Magazine in March 2009.It is a monthly publication.You can read the entire article if you wish .